M Britt Kemper Profiles

• Michael, Ive been a long time customer who really loves your profiles. Unfortunately since your new stuff requires 3.0 I wont be purchasing anymore. To bad there isnt an alternative for those of use that dont wish to upgrade (although I do understand how this could complicate yout life). However I do wish you continued success with your wonderful stuff!

Intresting. How does someone not want to upgrade to 3 and get the new features & fixes now and beoyond?

• Michael, Ive been a long time customer who really loves your profiles. Unfortunately since your new stuff requires 3.0 I wont be purchasing anymore. To bad there isnt an alternative for those of use that dont wish to upgrade (although I do understand how this could complicate yout life). However I do wish you continued success with your wonderful stuff!

Just curious, lasvideo...

Do you also refuse to upgrade your PC (Windows or Apple) operating system when updates are recommended? I am not being disrespectful or sarcastic...I am honestly curious as to why you would refrain from updating your KPA?

Firmware 3.0.2 is not a "beta" release..it is a stable, public release.

EDIT -- I would expect that most every commercial Kemper profiler has either already, or soon will be updating to latest Firmware. So, it won't just be Michael Britt's profiles that you will be missing out on.

Cheers,
    John

• Even using just studio profiles I haven't really found anything detrimental about upgrading to 3.0. It took me years to get off of Snow Leopard, but that was mainly because ProTools 9 didn't work well with Lion in the beginning and I didn't want to have to upgrade PT, etc. I'm finally on Lion now, ha, just in time for Mavericks or whatever the newest is. I'm not sure what the benefit of staying on 2.7 or 2.8 firmware would be sonically.

• Even using just studio profiles I haven't really found anything detrimental about upgrading to 3.0. It took me years to get off of Snow Leopard, but that was mainly because ProTools 9 didn't work well with Lion in the beginning and I didn't want to have to upgrade PT, etc. I'm finally on Lion now, ha, just in time for Mavericks or whatever the newest is. I'm not sure what the benefit of staying on 2.7 or 2.8 firmware would be sonically.

Michael...any specific reason you aren't running 3.0.2?

Ha! I'm still rocking Snow Leopard! It's up to Yosemite now though, dude ;)

• I don't trust anything until it's been well proven. If I get a headache, I apply a small poultice and follow up with a course of leeches as needed :D

In the meantime, I'll most likely succumb to these soon. I'll tell myself that my modern 3.0.2 will continue to behave if I feel it vintage profiles. So far, so good on that theory.

And if that theory is true, there's another reason for putting a spring reverb in there. If we have an effect that is so old, the Kemper would never, ever go wrong.

• Do the Britt profiles work well with regular guitar cabinets? I don't have any FRFR at the moment but itching to try the vintage pack. Sure the voicing will change, but is the basic vibe of the amp still there?

Edit:
    OMG! Just realised who you are Michael! Big fan!

Edited 2 times, last by Eru ().

• Michael, just got home from relaxing alone with some "tone time" at our rehearsal studio.... And Wow! You did it again man. I only made it through the modern pack and I am sooo super stoked to dig into the vintage pack tomorrow. Cyb had to lure me home, I was so entrenched in this pack!! Thanks for more pristine profiles! Can't wait to unleash these bad boys at rehearsal with the band tomorrow!! By the way the leopard is still cooking in my IMac as well...LMAO!!

• Do the Britt profiles work well with regular guitar cabinets? I don't have any FRFR at the moment but itching to try the vintage pack. Sure the voicing will change, but is the basic vibe of the amp still there?

Edit:
    OMG! Just realised who you are Michael! Big fan!

Michael uses them via the tube power section of his amp with the cab section bypassed on the master out.

I've used them with solid state poweramps into a guitar cab and love the overall tone. I'm fighting with a bit of woof on the low-end but I'm hoping CK adds a highpass filter which would resolve this. At the moment I either dial the bass back a couple of blobs or use an EQ post amp to take out some sub 80hz which really cleans things up. I tried them through an Engl tube poweramp and that seems to round off the bass where solidstate seems to enhance it, easy to eq though.

Either way you can make them work for you and they do sound and feel superb!

• Michael uses them via the tube power section of his amp with the cab section bypassed on the master out.

I've used them with solid state poweramps into a guitar cab and love the overall tone. I'm fighting with a bit of woof on the low-end but I'm hoping CK adds a highpass filter which would resolve this. At the moment I either dial the bass back a couple of blobs or use an EQ post amp to take out some sub 80hz which really cleans things up. I tried them through an Engl tube poweramp and that seems to round off the bass where solidstate seems to enhance it, easy to eq though.

Either way you can make them work for you and they do sound and feel superb!

what amp is that? Something high-power I imagine?

• I've used a lot of different amps' power amps including my 3rd Power British Dream, EVH 5150III, Ceriatone Overtone Special, and now the Mesa Lonestar 100. They all work fine, but the headroom from the 100 watt amps is really nice.

Honestly, Ive reached a point in the development of the Kemper that I feel comfortable sticking at. I will never use the foot controller or anything other then the studio profiles. And with 3000 of them, I feel no need to purchase anymore. I know as a computer owner and as someone that used high tech software/hardware for my profession (video editor) there is a drive to stay current with software. But in this case it seems appropriate to work with what I have. My Mac stays at 10.8.5 for software compatibility reasons and my PC stays on Win 7 for the same. It may sound like heresy, but there are some situations where it makes sense to me to freeze the tech upgrading reflex ; )

I might consider upgrading if Kemper adds a feature that I would really like to use. At this point, that is not the case.

• I know as a computer owner and as someone that used high tech software/hardware for my profession (video editor) there is a drive to stay current with software.

I agree with you on software running on a computer because of the dependencies between different software components and possible issues due to different updating policies of each component, but I don't hesitate to update the firmware of my KPA to a stable version because there are no dependencies with other software modules unless you are using a controller with a customized firmware not developed by Kemper (e.g. uno4kemper) and it only takes 10 minutes.

• I agree with you on software running on a computer because of the dependencies between different software components and possible issues due to different updating policies of each component, but I don't hesitate to update the firmware of my KPA to a stable version because there are no dependencies with other software modules unless you are using a controller with a customized firmware not developed by Kemper (e.g. uno4kemper) and it only takes 10 minutes.

Furthermore, it's easy to go backwards on the KPA, should that become necessary (which it never has for me).

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Holy freaking Catholic Shiite...the Vintage Pack is unbelievably good. MB - amazing. Thank you so much! These profiles are without a doubt as good as recording a real amp in the room. The Champ with the Cab is just freaking delicious. BTW - I'm a writer here in Nashville - remember seeing you guys at the Wildhorse when it first opened...93-ish? That right? Anyway, thank you for doing this - great player and great rep for the industry!