M Britt Kemper Profiles

• My modded Maxon OD-9 is my holy grail of overdrive. No matter if the stomp overdrives in Kemper will be much better. I still will be using my pedal for the mid-high gain profiles without any overdrive pedal baked in the profile.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I have D set as a loop and run: TS9 > PoT > KTR > Zendrive. Each on its own sounds like you'd expect, but I'm amazed how well they stack. I use the loop cause I want the wah before the OD/distortion.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• I did try a pedalboard in front of the Kemper when I first got it and wasn't wowed by the results. I've since heard from lots of Nashville session guys and worked with guys who use pedals with their Kemper on the road and just thought I'd try some pedals in the loop. Granted, the main reason is that I've completely fallen in love with the harmonic tremolo in the Strymon Flint, but I thought why not try some gain pedals in the loop while I'm at it. I'm currently waiting on a Voodoo Lab Hex so I can choose between multiple pedals in the loop, but I'll keep you updated on my progress. It's definitely not a necessity but I feel compelled to try new things so I don't get complacent.

• I did try a pedalboard in front of the Kemper when I first got it and wasn't wowed by the results. I've since heard from lots of Nashville session guys and worked with guys who use pedals with their Kemper on the road and just thought I'd try some pedals in the loop. Granted, the main reason is that I've completely fallen in love with the harmonic tremolo in the Strymon Flint, but I thought why not try some gain pedals in the loop while I'm at it. I'm currently waiting on a Voodoo Lab Hex so I can choose between multiple pedals in the loop, but I'll keep you updated on my progress. It's definitely not a necessity but I feel compelled to try new things so I don't get complacent.

Yeah... that Flint is gorgeous!

• I have a Freqout first in the chain. I tried it in the loop but it doesn't react so well there (IMHO) Next is an L6 HXFX (tried 4 cable but too messy) which doubles a controller (MIDI) with attached Dunlop mini exp. I use this for all the pre amp fx inc spring rev. etc. The snapshots on the HX work really well for me and are rapidly editable. Then a JHS prestige boost which maybe a placebo but (I think) it does gloss the sound a little around 9 o'clock - before the noise kicks in! Then to the KPA. I also have an Eventide H9 which sits in the KPA loop (post stack) I could manage without it but it is nice to add a delay on top of another in the kpa. I use morph to switch in/out the oh so 70s chorus/delay that most people expect! The HXFX controls everything. All of the above sits nicely on a Pedaltrain Classic jr. which is compact (some of us have to work under music stands!)

There is still a space on the board ...

• lonestargtr

Because I own quite a few pedals, I am very interested in pedal platform amps and profiles. I already tested hundreds of clean to breakup profiles to get the "best" pedal platform profiles for different purposes.

From your profiles there are two rigs that stand out (in my opinion) and are really great platforms for overdrive / distortion pedals. First is the "Voice Ace50 4 2" from the Vintage Pack and a rig called "Super Sonic Twin T1" from the Grab n Go pack.

Yeah, the Flint sounds really great.Love both the reverb and the tremolo.

I did a comparison a couple of years ago with the Flint tremolo and the Kemper one. I thought the Kemper sounded almost as good, with an edge to the Flint:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yeah, the Flint sounds really great.Love both the reverb and the tremolo.

I did a comparison a couple of years ago with the Flint tremolo and the Kemper one. I thought the Kemper sounded almost as good, with an edge to the Flint:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yeah, the Harmonic Tremolo on the Flint is different than the Kemper trem in that it has a pitch wobble too and I've tried adding a vibrato with the same rate but it's still not the same sound. I went through a ton of profiles and culled about 12 clean rigs to use with real pedals in the loop and they all sound pretty fantastic. The funny thing about the Kemper is that even when I talk myself into doing a gig with a real pedalboard and amp, I end up deferring to the Kemper because it's still so much more convenient than mic'ing a cabinet, plus the fx are more powerful and easier to to program, especially the delays, pitch shifting, (now) reverbs, and the morph function. They are things I just can't do easily on a real pedalboard.

• Hi Mike,

I'm now using both the Duende and Ecstacy profiles from you. Noticed that you've also done the Shiva. Do I have the Bogner tone pretty much covered, or do I need the trifecta? Thanks.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• In front, always a TC Polytune (because the Kemper's tuner is too slow for live gigs).

I was also using a Fulltone Deluxe Clyde since I like the sound of it.

Now that I have a Freqout, I'll put that in front.

I can see giving up the wah, but not the tuner. I don't foresee Kemper giving us a useful tuner anytime soon. And until a PEQ is added for the monitor out, I will continue to use a Quadraverb inbetween the KPA and the K10.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• hi mike I don't use any pedals in front of the amp or in the loop just your amazing profiles and delay and reverb from kemper hopfully CK Will update the kemper stomps shortly that will take care of that how about if you can get your hands on some if I might say vintage voiced modern amps like the mesa boogie Fillmore 50 and the Greg by Kock amps and may be some two ROCK amps there's another pack tint tint keep up the good kemper work .

fan from Ireland

Ian Flynn

• hy mike, i use only your profiles without pedals except a crybaby. Cause we are all gear nerds, if you spend too much time for gear, you forget to play.

Most great guitarplayer had a simple setup;):thumbup:rock on

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• I sold a lot of pedal board gear when I bought the Kemper and one of the things I enjoy is the simplicity. My go to sound for standard classic rock is your Fried BE50 with the Klon in front, so I do enjoy the sound of the pedals but I love the fact that it's all there in one profile.

That said, I don't own a Klon, so I can't speak to whether or not a non-Klon BE50 profile would sound better with the actual pedal on the floor - or if so, was it enough of a difference to merit hauling a pedal board around.

In front, always a TC Polytune (because the Kemper's tuner is too slow for live gigs).

I have the remote and am enjoying a strobe tuner for the first time since high school band (in the 70s). When you say slow, do you mean the tuner is unresponsive, or that it's too slow to have to turn around and use the tuner on the head?

In my pedal board days I had an RJM Mastermind loop switcher (very nicely done). It had a built in bar tuner and it was so fast that it was impossible to deal with, just too twitchy and easy to overshoot for me. Perhaps it's a preference thing.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I have D set as a loop and run: TS9 > PoT > KTR > Zendrive. Each on its own sounds like you'd expect, but I'm amazed how well they stack. I use the loop cause I want the wah before the OD/distortion.

That's kinda what I'm thinking of doing. I have my timmy, archer, kalamazoo, dimension c, and flint in the loops on the Hex into slot D in the Kemper (when the Hex arrives, anyway).

• I have the remote and am enjoying a strobe tuner for the first time since high school band (in the 70s). When you say slow, do you mean the tuner is unresponsive, or that it's too slow to have to turn around and use the tuner on the head?

Compared to an LED tuner such as the Polytune (which jumps to the note), the Kemper's tuner moves slowly; the same as one of those level tools you use to make sure a surface is flat and not angled. It reminds me of a caterpillar taking its time.

I never use the strobe....that takes even longer. When you have maybe 1 or 2 measures to tune in a live setting, I need fast response.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

Edited 2 times, last by HCarlH ().

• do I need a code for 25% off? price seem to be the same?

When you go to checkout just enter the word 'Memorial' in the coupon box on the left and then click Apply.

(not affiliated - just a fan)