M Britt Kemper Profiles

• Curiosity question...

How important is knowing what amp is being profiled? Is it vital to know what amp is making the sound you are hearing or is just hearing a great sound enough? I mean, most profilers already change the names so as not to infringe on copyrights. Is it just in the "knowing" the amp brand/model or do you just listen to the tone with no care about what amp it is?

While I'm a bit late to the party on this, I just spent the past few days in the studio alternating between Cubase and Rig Manager as I worked on some songs. I'd read this question so it was in my mind as was looking for tones.

I have all of your profiles, and the first thing I did was create folders by amp brand and organize them that way. Because I've been playing since the 70s, I find that when I'm looking for a sound I lean on familiarity with amp brands to get me in the ballpark. For example, I was working on a dirty / funky thing and first reached for a low gain 68 / 72 Marshall, and when that wasn't it I went to Vox territory, which of course includes Morgan, and found the sound.

I could sort by gain in Rig Manager with my eyes closed and eventually find the sound, but it's much faster for me when I have a known point of reference, so I appreciate being able to identify them.

I don't know if this question comes from you being hassled by amp manufacturers or if you're wondering about the feasibility of offering unknown or custom built amps / brands. With that in mind, I will say that I also do sort by gain and find tones that way, and at those times I couldn't care less if it's a 68 Marshall or a modified home stereo amp some kid built in his garage. If it sounds good, it is good. However, I'd hate to lose the ability to also search by brand when I know what I'm looking for.

Hope this helps. And keep 'em coming. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Interesting video here from a really good pro uk guitarist running through some performances he created using mbritt profiles.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Followed this chap a bit on youTube over the last few months.

He's a very tidy player and seems a nice chap too.

If anyone wants a idea of exactly what the Kemper can do, this is the perfect demo.

Makes me wanna pick my guitar up, sod it, I'm going to!

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• *website issues as may occur over the next several days as my webmaster migrates servers. Please email me directly with any customer service issues.

If you need to access the store directly and can't access the web site, you can also shop here: https://m-britt-profiles.dpdcart.com/

thanks! Will hopefully have things up and running sooner than later.

• brown bag experiment ....new profiles lonestargtr ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Bought...cheap as chips as they say up in the north (U.K.)

• Hey, Michael.

Walked through the entire checkout process, but this time the only option is to have a PayPal account.

You can pay via PayPal with a normal credit card (pay my lawn people like that all the time), but that no longer seems to be an option from your shopping cart.

I don't have any desire to create a PayPal account. Could you please get your web guy to fix this?

Thanks!

[edit]

Oops. Just saw his Friday post to email directly, will do so now. Really must learn to read one day...

[/edit]

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• If it sounds good and feels good ....Well.... it is good......

I could use those tones live.

Yes I would buy these.

The pay by credit card (instead of just with a PayPal account) link is there again, so things are back to normal if you want to buy them.

• Uff, totally in for the Brown bag experiment, this weekend I am buying these. Now I get your past questions. I had an old fender "something" 150 solid state amp (cant even remember what it was named, had a black badge with a 150 on it), took pedals as a champ, so I have recorded with it several times, and people tought it was a princeton or something. Now that amp is lost, but I miss it, it is part of my own story.

I guess this amp will be something ridiculous or obscure, but I am totally in for good sounds, and once I try it, I wont tell what I think it is, but I can guess the price of the profiled amp. Should be a nice experiment.

The answer is 42

• Back in the 70s my best friend was working most nights as a musician but also had a day gig repairing amps at Sound Productions in Dallas, which is how we met (had an Ampeg that was nothing but trouble). A few years later I was running a silver face Twin (yuck) and unsurprisingly having trouble getting 70s rock out of it.

He shows up one day with a brown face Fender Bandmaster head. He said there was some trick where he could do some mods and swap out the 6L6 tubes with 6550s (I think, it's been a few decades and I've slept since then), adjust the bias, yada yada, and convert it to 100 watts since that's what we were all running those days. But he also took the power light out and used that hole to install a master volume, which wasn't typical of the amps of the day. That let me dime it and then turn it down (a little) to a level that wouldn't kill my speakers.

A vintage brown face Bandmaster in good condition is probably worth some bucks these days. However, if I still had that amp it probably wouldn't be worth much because it was all hacked up inside. But man, did it roar. If someone profiled it today, at least the way I ran it back then, it wouldn't be a legit representation of a Bandmaster. And yet, it would absolutely be killer profile.

I really wish I'd kept that amp. Even though it was more of a brown bag than a brown face.

• Bought the brown bag pack. Had a first run through and it sounds... well... quite uninspiring.

I still hope Mr. Britt is fooling us and we get a boutique amp in the brown bag for cheap money ^^

But boutique amp or not - it sounds more like my Peavy Rage 158 (I have an external cab mod) or something :saint:

To be fair - the profiles are already tweaked and sound o.k., but way too dark for me.

I bought the pack cause I hoped for great pedal platform rigs (like indicated in the description). Some cheap amps do this quite well. This pack: Doesn't work good for me as a platform for external pedals.

And someone really has to remove the towel from the cab! Or stop - maybe it's the brown bag that is still slipped over :whistling:

• To be fair - the profiles are already tweaked and sound o.k., but way too dark for me.

And someone really has to remove the towel from the cab! Or stop - maybe it's the brown bag that is still slipped over :whistling:

Are you playing at bedroom volume levels? Most profiles are created at (or close to stage volume).

Are you using high output humbuckers? That could be killing your highs in combination with low volume playing.

Of all the profiles I buy, Mike's are ready to go for me with minimal tweaking, but I use single coils 98% of the time.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Are you playing at bedroom volume levels? Most profiles are created at (or close to stage volume).

Are you using high output humbuckers? That could be killing your highs in combination with low volume playing.

Of all the profiles I buy, Mike's are ready to go for me with minimal tweaking, but I use single coils 98% of the time.

Deleted

• I spent some time with them last night. One of the characteristics that seems to describe this particular offering is the compression, and they all struck me as tones that I would describe as very well behaved. Tonally capable of poking through the mix on single lines, but for chords and rhythm very even and smooth.

They don't leap out at me and wave their arms like some of the recent 60s / 70s Marshalls, but they were all very usable. Like any other profile it's all about context, so they're absolutely not what I'm looking for in song A, and a nice, snug fit for song B.

Regarding the compression, which is the thing that was the most noticeable to me, that is of course something that's added in the Kemper effects. I disabled it on a few of the low gain ones and the amps still sounded well behaved, but it's actually the final product that I enjoyed. There are times when that's exactly the touch I'm looking for.

We often think of a Kemper profile as, "This is an xyz amp." However, everyone knows how important all the other aspects are, i.e. mic choice and placement, cabinet, how you dial the tone in, refinement / fx in the Kemper itself, etc. I love how close a Kemper sounds to the real amp. That's a Kemper thing, and an amp thing. And yet, another big selling point for me was the ability to buy profiles where someone else dialed in the tone, miked it up and gave me an end result that's better than what I usually get on my own with tube amps. And that got me thinking about the brown bag experiment in general.

I know there are trademark and copyright grumblings from amp manufacturers that affect profilers, and I understand their perspective. But when I'm buying a profile, what I'm paying for is more than just "here's an xyz amp." I'm paying for the talent that goes into delivering the end result, just like you'd pay a top shelf studio engineer when making a record. That transcends the amp, because I can assure you I'm perfectly capable of making an xyz amp sound like absolute crap.

So is the brown bag idea the early beginnings of a new perspective, i.e. you can buy a recreation of an xyz amp, or you can pay someone for their talent in creating an end result where that's all that matters? It's an interesting question, and I think it shines a light on the talents of all profilers, above and beyond their ability to capture a faithful reproduction of some amp.

As I'd mentioned before, I do like the point of reference, e.g. "black face style," as it helps me find a starting point. But beyond that, I'm realizing I really don't care what the amp is, only how it sounds.

• Hey Michael, I can't log in to my account:

"The password you entered for username Monkey Man is incorrect."

I've checked many times and it is correct. I've also tried logging in using my updated email address that we sorted out recently, as well as the old one instead of a user name, but still no dice.

I also disabled adblockers and so on. Thoughts?

• Can you try "Lost your password" function?