M Britt Kemper Profiles

• I played the comparison parts to my son (blind test, not telling him what it is) and just asked: Which amp do you like better. He believed that it was two DIFFERENT amps and I just wanted to know what he likes better.

Of course. You asked which amp do you like better? Why would he think anything else.

The QC has really put the cat in the henhouse for some, I don't know why. All of sudden there's a queue of the dissatisfied.

My Kemper was awesome 18 months ago, and will still be awesome in 18 months time.

It is enhanced even more with the addition of the MB 2020 pack btw. :thumbup:

• Of course. You asked which amp do you like better? Why would he think anything else.

The QC has really put the cat in the henhouse for some, I don't know why. All of sudden there's a queue of the dissatisfied.

My Kemper was awesome 18 months ago, and will still be awesome in 18 months time.

It is enhanced even more with the addition of the MB 2020 pack btw. :thumbup:

Where did I state that I am not satisfied??? I even said I liked the Kemper profiles more!!

And it has nothing to do with QC that Mr Britt did make a video, where he showed his profiling secrets. And everyone can hear that there is a CLEAR difference between the profiles and the source tone. A CLEAR difference. Could be a different kind of amp!!

So maybe listening to the result, refining down the fretboard, listening again, refining... would give a better result in this case?!

• For me that video is a bit "disappointing". And it seems there are no profiling secrets to watch here?!

It's not really disappointing, because I like many MBritt profiles. I love how they sound and not how authentic they are.

But I am honest - I expected MBritt profiles to be much closer to the source amp (maybe others are?).

So let's better call it: Watching the video is very demystifying. If you only focus on authenticity, I can CLEARY hear the differences. And in both examples the difference is more than 1% - let's be honest. They both do not sound identical to the source. At my first listen I was quite shocked, because I expected a video that shows how close the Kemper can come. Maybe (more) refining down the fretboard would helped here?

I dont agree, I think the profile is exceptionally close and thats with a basic refine.

What more do we need? by the time we eq, compress or reverb it to our taste it'll be different again, and quite possibly better.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• I’m with Crookster on this one. i thought the clean sound was effectively identical. I thought there were some minor differences on the Marshall but nothing that couldn’t be fixed. I genuinely thought the Matchless was 99% accurate and the marshall was at least 95% accurate.

I was only listening on ATH M50x headphones so not the best reference but definitely enough to hear if something sounded like a different amp.

• Listen closely to the gain strutcure and mids. Do you really think the profile sounds "IDENTICAL to the characteristic sound of the amp"? I think it is not close enough and the characteristics are not captured well.

We'll have to disagree then. To me, It does sound identical to the CHARACTERISTIC sound. I only hear a difference in top end EQ which can be fixed.

Do you think the Kemper can't be tweaked manually to achieve an indistinguishable copy?

BTW, I think the new kid sounds really close to the amp characteristic, but like the Fractal and Helix units, the distortion sound is more like a jagged, square wave and cold, whereas the Kemper has a warmth to my ears. Which is why I went with Kemper instead of the Fractal years ago (and I came really close to buying the Fractal). I see why metal guys like the other units because a more raw tone tends to be a characteristic (there's that word again) of that genre.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Mike released a video showing his profiling process, which I thought was pretty cool. The back and forth about whether or not the profile is identical to the amp is starting to sound like all the negativity on the Quad Cortex thread. Maybe arguments about theoretical perfection would fit in better there rather than hot on the heels of a guy who was just showing how he does things.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• o.k. guys. Don't want this thread to go in the wrong direction.

I just was expecting, that Mr. Britt does give much more attention to the refining process. It seems he does not listening to the result, comparing to the source at all (in the refining process) and not refining until it gets as close as possible. Why not? He is the master of dialing in those great tones and micing the right spot. But why not paying more attention to the refining process and comparing? He could maybe get even better result with little effort?!

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• Maybe arguments about theoretical perfection would fit in better there rather than hot on the heels of a guy who was just showing how he does things.

Well, "the guy who was just showing how he does things" is also selling a product here - let's not forget about that. So if Ibot39 has something to criticise I think he should certainly be allowed to do that here, especially since he is a customer of Britt's.

That being said, I found the video rather impressive (remote controlled mic movement!!!) and to me the amps sounded 99% identical.

• Thanks for all the input on the video. I knew when I put it up that it was probably going to be picked apart, so that part is to be expected. As far as the comparison clips, I think there is more difference in the actual playing, than there is in the actual amp vs. kemper. For instance, when I play the Marshall, I tried to play the same thing over and over knowing that I was going to be switching back and forth. Just depending on where I switched the solo buttons, there may be differences but I think those are more based upon how hard I hit the strings etc. Also, for the split second it's switching, there is a crossfade/summing that accentuates the difference, but after a second, those differences disappear. Also, I didn't adjust for the 3-4ms of latency of the Kemper on the two recordings so some of the initial tone shift could be that as well. I notice the difference more when switching from real amp to Kemper than from Kemper to real amp, so that's what makes me think some of it is the latency playing tricks right upon switching.

On my monitors I certainly don't think any of them sound like different amps altogether. If I used either of those on a recording, I would dare people to tell me if they could tell me which one it was without switching back and forth quickly.

But again, that's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. The private joke about "secrets" is that I've often told anyone who will listen that I have no secrets. Could I have refined longer? Perhaps. I have also refined too much and it sounds more muffled to my ears. I wanted more than anything to de-mystify what I do. Yes, there is some tech involved, but in the end, it's a bit like cooking. Everyone around the world uses the same basic ingredients, it's just how they're all put together that makes it taste (or sound, in this case) differently.

Some people are going to think they sound close enough to perfect and others will hear a difference. I don't hear that drastic a difference, personally. I did a test comparison before I shot that video and I almost used this clip in the long video but I didn't have a shot of me recording it because I was just testing the audio and screen recording at the time. I used the same profile and amp but it's just a different actual performance and it again, sounds pretty near identical to me. But, again, just my opinion.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This clip sounds spot on mate!

• remote controlled mic movement!!!

that mic stand/automation/robotics piece is pretty slick, thanks for sharing

Yeah, the Dynamount stuff is awesome. In fact, only thing that stopped me from getting one of those for my studio was buying the Kemper. After I sold my tube amps I didn't need to worry about miking cabs anymore. I just let guys like Mike deal with that.

But I still kinda want one because, you know, Cool Studio Robot. :)

• Im sure lonestargtr must be aware, he has a loyal following. I use nothing but mbritt profiles.

They suit my needs, tried and tested and created by trustworthy ears. Must admit, i’ve not bought the most recent packs owing to the fact i think i already have what i need from his first half-dozen packs. Certainly if i need a sound i dont have to look beyond the britt-packs. Again, just my opinion, wont be everyones but the length of this thread is an indicator.

The video is great, sure there are no secrets, but to anyone new to the game its a valuable insight of how to get a good profile to de-mystify. Wish i had seen it when i first got my kpa.

Look out for the Britt-cult-fan club coming soon... :/

• Spent the day putting together performances for a cover band thing I'm doing, 60s / 70s classic rock. I've got all the profile packs, and it was pretty fun to just say, okay, these guys recorded this in the late 60s. Let's try a few Marshalls from that era...

Of course, it doesn't have to be a 69 Marshall 50 on a given song. I'm sure I have a ton of other profiles that would have worked as well, but it was cool to be able to look for vintage amps to match a particular era of rock. And far better than having to pay for and maintain a huge collection of old tube amps to get those sounds.

I realize it's blasphemy in a roomful of guitarists, but I don't miss owning amps even a little.

• Spent the day putting together performances for a cover band thing I'm doing, 60s / 70s classic rock. I've got all the profile packs, and it was pretty fun to just say, okay, these guys recorded this in the late 60s. Let's try a few Marshalls from that era...

Of course, it doesn't have to be a 69 Marshall 50 on a given song. I'm sure I have a ton of other profiles that would have worked as well, but it was cool to be able to look for vintage amps to match a particular era of rock. And far better than having to pay for and maintain a huge collection of old tube amps to get those sounds.

I realize it's blasphemy in a roomful of guitarists, but I don't miss owning amps even a little.

Same here... just don't give a schlitz anymore and glad I don't have to.