Strymon gear

• Ok, that's some information to talk about, much more than your original post:

"0$ vs 440$
    1 - 0
    incredible stuff"

Nobody's forced to use the Timeline, Mobius, Big Sky or other Strymon-effects, but they seem to be very popular and many guitar-players love them. I like the Timeline and Mobius and like I said I'm more into the low-fi-stuff they offer. For my ears both pedals make great effects, I like and use them all the time. I don't care about any technical issues as long it sounds great for me. Of course some of the KPA-effects aren't bad, too, just different.

I never used the Timeline-looper because I have a separate pedal for that (TC), so I can't say much about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• To get back to it: there is nothing wrong with Strymon, even in contrary. I loved them and never would've thought I was going to get rid of them. I might even buy them again in the future, for a non-rack setup. It's just that I didn't need all the options they offer and I've switched to the belief that if it's good enough for people in the crowd, it's just plain good enough. The chorus in the Mobius is better than the one in the Kemper for sure, but no one in a crowd will ever notice it. Hence why I went all-Kemper, even for effects. The 2290 is just one of my favourite units ever.

• Not sure how this took a nose dive but I too am in the Strymon camp. Their pedals are top shelf in my opinion. I received the Deco yesterday and got to spend a little time with it last night. I have several of their pedals including Mobius>TImeline>Big Sky. My first impression running it last in the signal chain (in the KPA effects loop - stereo - mod slot) is that I loved what it was doing to the delay and reverb trails. First off it just makes everything warm but in a very organic way that is tough to describe. Obviously there are many controls but I was playing with the Timeline's echo into a plate reverb on the Big Sky and the delay and reverb trails seemed to be lifted (pushed) a bit due to the Deco's saturation setting. When set lightly the saturation setting seems to add body/mids and take away the top end - again, very warm. The flanging and slapback effects were as good as you would expect from these guys. I can't remember how I set it up but the wobble was mild and it really had a nice tape effect going on. Good stuff!

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

Edited once, last by BuckeyeBrown ().

• Curious if there's any more people using the Deco with the Kemper. I'm thinking about getting one and was curious about how it sounds directly in front of the Kemper as well as in the Kemper's loop. I'm guessing it would sound good there for slapback/flange/chorus effects, but i'm wondering how good the saturation/overdrive sound. I would like to avoid having it after the Kemper even though that would make the most sense for a tape emulation effect.

• I was messing around with the Big Sky and Deco in the loop and I couldn't get it to sound natural, the Deco appeared to compress the tone somewhat and the Big Sky coloured the tone.

it sounds much much better with the Kempers own effects.

• I was messing around with the Big Sky and Deco in the loop and I couldn't get it to sound natural, the Deco appeared to compress the tone somewhat and the Big Sky coloured the tone.

it sounds much much better with the Kempers own effects.

Even in bypass? The Deco is supposed to compress a bit, so I think this is to be expected.

• Having a Strymon Mobius and absolutely love it! I had many of the best analog pedals before (Boss Chorus CE-2, A/DA Flanger and Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress Deluxe Flanger, MXR Dunlop UniVibe and MXR Dunlop EVH Phase 90) and I got rid of them all (well, not the Phase 90...) because I did A/B tests and I got the Mobius to sound exactly the same. I used to carry a big rack with all my effect pedals, now it's just the Mobius! and the Kemper of course. Great stuff. Still have to make some work on getting the Phaser on the Mobius to sound more like the EVH Phase 90...

To be totally honest, I use the Hyper Chorus in the Kemper because it sounds so much better than the CE-2...

• Having a Strymon Mobius and absolutely love it! I had many of the best analog pedals before (Boss Chorus CE-2, A/DA Flanger and Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress Deluxe Flanger, MXR Dunlop UniVibe and MXR Dunlop EVH Phase 90) and I got rid of them all (well, not the Phase 90...) because I did A/B tests and I got the Mobius to sound exactly the same. I used to carry a big rack with all my effect pedals, now it's just the Mobius! and the Kemper of course. Great stuff. Still have to make some work on getting the Phaser on the Mobius to sound more like the EVH Phase 90...

About Phase90 ... do you check my Phaser presets? ... because I manage to sound almost the same with the KPA Phaser vs the Phase90 MXR ...
    Here the link (with A/B audio test included at various settings):
    MXR Phase90 Presets for the KPA

Do you manage to find preset for the Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress, I was searching for them, since I don't have the original one to compare?

• About Phase90 ... do you check my Phaser presets? ... because I manage to sound almost the same with the KPA Phaser vs the Phase90 MXR ...

Do you manage to find preset for the Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress, I was searching for them, since I don't have the original one to compare?

Hi Maurizio!
    Yes you were part of my test plan; I downloaded your presets already and they are ready to test. Will do that this weekend.

Regarding the Electric Mistress... I found a stompbox setting called like that (in fact, 2 of them) but I'm not sure where they came from, if it was me that created it or if it came with an upgrade. I will compare those too this weekend (not with the Electric Mistress because I just sold it but with the Mobius).

• I'd like to eventually add some Strymon, but I can basically do the same sorts of sounds at similar quality with the eventide h9 I have, which covers the ground of the mobious, timeline, big sky all in one, plus all the wild pitch stuff. Not at the same time though. Not identical, but in the ball park, some prefer the eventide stuff over strymon. For me the verdicts out

• About Phase90 ... do you check my Phaser presets? ... because I manage to sound almost the same with the KPA Phaser vs the Phase90 MXR ...

Hi Maurizio,

I spent some time this morning with the Mobius and the original MXR EVH Phase 90. It seems impossible to me to replicate it totally. The MXR is very dirty compared to the Mobius. I get close to it when adding EQ, but still not 100% happy... I checked your settings too. I uploaded my settings on my website: http://www.flyingsnowman.com/m…kemper.html&ma=2&subid=29

I also included the Electric Mistress setting that I compared this morning with the Mobius setting of the Electric Mistress. Pretty close and quite happy with this one... Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Eric

• Love my Timeline + Mobius + Deco in the effects loop... but for chorus I really have to say nothing beats the Yamaha UD-STOMP to my ears.

Drayen Labie does it justice

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I sold my Strymon Timeline after I got the Kemper, because I prefer the sound of the delays in the Kemper. Wet/dry mix and tap tempo is better in the Kemper as well, IMHO.

I agree with you. The only thing Kemper Delay is not able to reproduce of the Timeline is the Tremolo Delay (in the feedback loop), all the rest is similar or better in the Kemper.

Another interesting point of the two delay implementation is the grit parameter: the grit in the Kemper is more flexible and versatile, but the grit in the Timeline is very original and very pleasant to hear, difficult to replicate with the KPA.

At the end Kemper Delay beats Timeline almost in all the situation, moreover is embedded in the machine ... what else to say???