Post your Kemper Rig Pictures Please

• Nothing fancy, but works very well for me for a range of venues, both big and small. Unpowered head through a DXR12 and all sat on one of our bass cabs. Rubber mat between the bass cab and the DXR12 to avoid any 'walking' and the Kemper is taped down to the top of the DXR12. I use the main outs in mono for both the on stage DXR12 and to the PA, with the -12db option selected on the output to avoid overloading the inputs on some PAs. I'm using a couple of AC15 profiles from MBritt for my clean and crunch rigs and a couple of BE100 profiles from Bert M for my drive and full rigs. Also a very good acoustic sim from the forum. One performance covers all our songs. All profiles have the amp volume morphed from 0 to +5db for a lead boost. I often need to trim the presence on the output EQ to remove some brightness from all the profiles, depends on the venue. With the DXR12 pointed at my chest I also need to put 2:1 gates set at a threshold of 5 before the BE100 profiles to avoid open string feedback when I switch to the lead boost.

• That's my current setup with the Kemper at home. Not gigging with my project at the moment (story of my life) , but I am playing drums with some pretty talented guys in a death metal project.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here we are practising some new covers and an original. Slowly We Rot by Obituary and Within the Mind by Death, plus the original Rhinolith. Vocalist said he couldn't be with us while we made baby steps, but I think it was quite alright for a trial run, especially since the bassist is new.

Camera was pointed at the guitarists and not at me (couldn't find a better spot to put it or the sound would have washed out).

Skip the first minute, things can only get better!

• I have the digitech whammy DT as well. do you like having separate pedals rather than using Kemper's ?

Well, I have both a Helix and a Kemper. Don't laugh but I mostly got the whammy pedal for the virtual capo feature. I have played a little with the pitch whammy in the Helix and find the DT vastly superior to the Helix version. I haven't played much with the Kemper one. So story goes, I was looking at the Drop pedal, and decided I might just get the full Whammy DT because it is a fairly high-end pedal, so I felt fairly certain it would have less artifacts in the processed signal, to which I am pretty sure I am correct even without having actually done a comparison. We're also in a price range where the difference isn't huge, and the world of pitch shifting and octavers is still new to me, so I'll want to dive into it at some point on my journey for sure. I used to collect released and unreleased music by a deceased artist, so I actually have tens if not hundreds of hours of experience comparing and sorting through different rips of songs from different cassette, vinyl and CD sources. I actually hear a very clear difference from a 128kbps mp3 to a 192, and from a 192 to a 320, and from a 320 to a raw audio file. So bad digital processing is really noticable to me. Just to have said it, even the Whammy DT isn't "perfect" and there is some obvious synthesizing of the sound. It's especially worse as the pitch changes, but even if I set it to some constant pitch and leave it there, I can still hear something unnatural going on.

I do like having a pedalboard and doing switching as I'm playing, instead of having to put the guitar down to change stuff. I am waiting for a Cali76 compressor pedal as well. I'm gonna do a deep dive into overdrive pedals as well. I'm running Strymons for reverb and delay. I do think the Kemper modeling is really, really good, and the only reason why is probably that I never owned any great amps. I'm pretty sure I would prefer the sound and feel of say a real Mesa Mark V if I ever got to mess around with one, but I would have to sell nearly my whole rig just for that one amp, so for that kinda money I'm willing to compromise. Pedals are cheaper, and I'm a sucker for high fidelity...

• I'll be getting the Cali 76 in the mail by the end of the week. I might eventually play around with putting it in different places, but my floorboard is currently hooked up this way:

A/B box that switches between cable/wireless input -> Polytune 3 -> Digitech Whammy DT -> FreqOut -> SubZero IceCycle looper -> input.

Polytune 3 acts as a buffer. I'm putting the compressor before the Polytune 3. I don't like the idea of my signal being buffered and processed by the Whammy DT before being compressed. On a conceptual level I prefer the idea of compressing my actual signal to make it the best it can be before running it into digital effects. In my head, I can't shake the idea that compressing after digital conversion and processing runs the risk of making artifacts stick out more. I also think compressing the signal early in the chain is much better when it comes to getting good separation between your signal and the noise floor. What that'll mean is that the noise remover will be more effective at lower settings, and have less impact on your actual signal. I am considering either moving the buffer last, or just removing it entirely. From the last pedal to the input I am running a 60cm mogami cable so the total cable length from the guitar to the input is four to five meters. I just threw the Polytune in there because I happened to have it, and had heard a little bit about buffers, but I need to research them more.

• Preacher , considering getting a DT Whammy and analog compressor as well. What order do you figure is best to place them in? I know both compressors and pitch shifters are encouraged to go pretty early in the signal chain, at least *traditionally.

When I used my DT and Cali 76 with an RJM PBC I had the DT first then Wah then Cali 76 then I had various other things including Strymon Mobius and Timeline all into either a Meas Mark Five:25, or Dual Rec or Triaxis and 2:ninety for stereo.

Havng said that, the whole pedal board and amp rigs are now just sittng in the corner of my studio and I only ever use the Kemper on its own now.