favourite based Rig Exchange ranking algo

• Perhaps the ranking algorithm in Rig Exchange could be improved by using favourite data from users (instead of relying solely on votes).

Also, if a profile gets moved from Rig Exchange to MyProfiler, it could be yet a "weight" factor for the algo.

After installation Rig Manager would first ask if the user agrees to send anonymous data to improve the Rig Exchange. I am sure most people would agree to this, as it requires much less effort than rating rigs, and we don't store sensitive personal data on the unit.

It would be awesome if it were easier to find the best stuff in the Rig Exchange!

Edited 2 times, last by KD ().

• Actually, scratch that.

I think the problem with both approaches would be that if there is a preponderance of say metalheads on RE, this kind of tones would rank higher in relation to say blues or country tones. That wouldn't be the intention, I guess :) I don't think the star rating system has that problem. As much. Maybe.

Yes, this has come to my mind as well.
    Also the people that connect to RE more often (the rig hunters) transmit more data than the players which would be another bias.

• For me I would be searching for an amp type I am familiar and not the rig exchange as a whole so a persons musical preference would not be a factor.

Very few people actually rate rigs, and when they do, I believe it would be by musical preference (whether a rig works for them specifically, hence the so called 1 star guy) so even the star system has this flaw.

• Cool to get some replies!

I often find you don't get really get to know peoples' opinions by asking, which is why I thought of this possible tweak.

But how would the use be determined?
    How often I have called up a certain rig in my profiler since my last connection to the RE?
    Or how long I have spent time with a certain rig?

I doubt this is really feasible.

That's a neat idea Ingolf. The time spent with a rig could affect weight as well.

However I am not sure going too complex is motivated for 5000+ rigs "only". After all, manual ranking is still perfectly possible (with a slight initial backlog) - and this usually gives better results provided the right people are chosen for the task. And I must say Mr Kemper and his team seem to have no problems finding good people :thumbup: