Kemper Power Cable Test (192kHz Wav)

• MUAHAHAHAAA!!! :thumbup:

this reminds me of the time where a buddy of mine started a very aggressively discussed thread in another forum, in which he claimed that his mixes (techno) suffered after he moved from an area that had nuclear power plant based electricity (powerful, great definition) to a location that also used coal (muddy, cloudy).

Other users chimed in praising wind and solar energy based power for mixdowns of ambient music, coal for warmer soundig rock mixes etc...

:D

• Just my opinion... having had a friend bring over a higher dollar Lava Power Cable that was built really nice! was much thicker than the usual power cord. Looked very impressive.

Didn't sound a bit different. We tried it with several tube amps. I even made profiles with the super cable vs non super cable. No difference. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

If you had a really long power cord that was too small in diameter and it had corroded ends and wasn't plugged in well to the wall and it was an alternate friday, there may be a difference.

The way I look at it is - you have whatever your source of power is - miles (or kilometers, hello euro friends) and miles away. That goes to power lines - miles of em. Then to a transformer, then to your home. Once it gets to your home, then you have a lot of wiring inside your house - hundreds if not thousands of feet. THEN you plug in your power cord to your kemper or amp.

Do you really think that cord is going to make a difference? It's like having low water pressure with a water hose outside - and then buying a water hose that's big enough to put your hand inside. You're not going to get more water or pressure if your water hose was normal sized to begin with. A power cord can't 'fix' bad power.

I always wondered if someone who hears a difference with a expensive power cord might hear more difference if they chose a power outlet in their home that was closer to the fusebox/where the power comes in from the transformer to their home. :D

• The grass is always greener on the other side..... I heard so many absurd stuff from musicians, I could write a book....

The brain is a tricky machine and very often all these "mysterious" improvements of sound are just imagination and nothing else.

One example: when I did the most of my studio-sessions ('87 to '96), I used to play a Boogie-Studio-preamp and an old Marshall (for power-amp), a great and versatile set-up. Normally I played some Hendrix-tunes (very loud..) when I "checked" my equipment and the producers, who didn't know me, yet, already had a bright smile in their face "I hired the right guy...". When producers had a bad day or they maybe didn't have sex at the weekend before, I sometimes had some troubles to find the "right" sound for them, now my mysterious "superweapon" came into existance: I used one knob of my Boogie-preamp ("Reverb", now renamed to "FAT") for making the sound "fat" and "thick".... in reality I removed the reverb-unit long ago and the superweapon-knob wasn't even wired.... But I tell you, in all situations I heard "yes, I can hear the difference", "cool, now the guitar-tone is alright", "it sounds much better now" ect. ect., it worked in 100% of all these situations, I promise.

I know it was a little bit mean, but it saved me a lot of time.... ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

Edited once, last by guenterhaas ().

• The placebo effect ALWAYS works.

• Ha!

That reminds me of my own experience when I ordered 1 vintage PIO cap to test out for a Les Paul I had back in 2005 to replace the cheap ceramic discs it came with. I first wanted to test what difference it would make, so I first bought one single cap only.

I remember receiving the cap and admiring it... it was beautiful... and suddenly I knew it would make a great difference when comparing it to that awful cheap ceramic disc it was meant to replace.
    Did one final sound test with the neck pickup of the LP - in order to memorise the sound and *really* listen for the difference!
    Turned the LP around, soldering iron in hand, and replaced the 1 cap!

Flipped it back around, and... tested the *new-and-improved* neck pickup!
    I was actually quite amazed - what outstanding clarity, warmth and singing tone that same neck pickup suddenly had!
    It sounded fatter - and suddenly I really felt that 3-dimensional sound, everybody was talking about!

So flipped the LP back around... only to discover that I had accidently replaced the *bridge* cap, and was testing the *neck* pickup that whole time (which was still the same as before)! :rolleyes:

Needless to say that I could not hear a difference at all when I screwed my brain back in place! :whistling:

• AHAHAHAHAAAAA, that is SUCH a great story!!!!!

Especially because I have heard that exact same story from the other side of the glass, where the producer or mix engineer labels an unassigned fader "fatness" or "punch" and uses the placebo effect on the artist...

You made my day!

• True story... and many more, another one, really unbelievabe:

A guy from one of Germanies biggest advertising agencies was "producing" a new commercial, he knew absolutely nothing about music... Shortly before the real producer (owner of a big studio) was finished with the basic tracks and I was still waiting to play my guitar-parts, the guy from the company was missing some "trampoline"-sound in the playback. The producer went through his libraries, searching for all sorts of "boing"-sounds, similar to what a trampoline might sound.

After more than 1 hour of searching for the right trampoline-sound, the ad-guy always saying "no, that's not the right one, no, no, ect." the producer gave up, switched off his gear (close to a nervous-breakdown) and said to the guy "please go to another studio, I can't help you". Telling that, he was resting his arm on his master-keyboard, one drum-module wasn't switched off and the ad-guy suddenly cried: "here, here it is, the trampoline-sound I was looking for all the time !!!" By accident the producer had touched a key with a tambourine-sound....

If I'll someday write a book about my life as a musician, this story has to be in it... ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Well, this is not the whole story, I guess.
    Since the upcoming of digital audio in the 80's the hi-fi connaisseur has been informed in an unsufficient way of how to optimize audio reproduction. Not much has been done since the invention of the belt drive for CD players by Burmester in Berlin.

How good is the audio playback from computers, when played back from the hard disk?
    Since hard disks became smaller and smaller and the data got denser, the audio quality has really suffered. A bit does not get too much space these days.

Therefore I run an old 5 1/4' Western Digital harddisk with a 100 Mb only, for audiophile playback. Sounds incredible! Modern hard disks? No definition at all! SSD or USB stick? Cold as ice! It is an incredible neglect that the audiophile scene has never got into finding the best sounding hard disk. Now the best ones are out of production

And yes, I run my Profiler by a hi-fi power cable.
    And I even use a second one for my PC!
    Sounds amazingly deep and defined.

Actually people have got all audiophiley on hard drives before. Back when Ocean Way Drums was released the guy from Sonic Reality was saying how Allen Sides likes to record to "fresh master hard disks". Apparently one of the drives failed they had been recording the drum samples to but Allen didn't want to copy over a back up from another drive because the sound is "degraded" when you do that. So they started all the recording over from scratch so the "master" would have fresh uncopied samples.

It was the craziest thing I ever heard. hehe

• I guess it's time to rip all mains wiring out of my house and replace it with some linear crystal gold thingamy whatsitt twin and earth. I have also put a call into the power company so they replace the feed to my house ;)

• Trampoline - tambourine!
    Priceless!!
    :D

True story.... I'll never forget this studio-session. ;)

Guys from big advertising companies (Lintas, Scholz & Friends ect.) were the most funny ones in recording studios, big responsibility, but absolutely no clue about music.... One guy once said: "Well, it sounds nice, but I'm missing the colour "yellow" in the music...."