Looking for a Cheap but great FRFR Speaker to run the KPA.

• Performance, practise or home-studio?

Passive or with a built-in amplifier?

You get what you pay for. I wouldn't buy a very cheap speaker and potentially ruin the experience of a relatively expensive modeller.

I've had decent results with Behringer F1320D wedges (from about $270 a piece), but they can not in any way stand up to my Yamaha DSR112s ($900) or the Atomic CLR ($1000) which is the speaker that has set the benchmark among speakers for guitar modellers.

In general any 10", 12" or even 15" 2-way FRFR speaker/amp combination is a candidate for the job. I tend to prefer the punch of a 12" over a 10". Some who play a lot down low with drop tuning and/or have extra strings at the low end even prefer FRFR-speakers with a 15" at the low-end. Powered speakers mostly use class-D amplifiers, and you can't compare their power-ratings to what you're used to with tube-amps. Cheap low-watt speakers may work well for bedroom practise, but stand no chance when they have to compete with a drummer.

There's quite a lot of decent active speakers to choose from in the $300-500 range. I wouldn't recommend anything much below that. Passive speakers for a powered Kemper will be a bit less expensive, but I don't have any experience with that alternative.

• Try the Alto 12". Also used EV's, Yamaha's....etc. that are a little higher up in the price structure may be in a similar price range if you can find someone wanting to get rid of them. Depending on where you are located you can take your Kemper into the guitar store and try out some so you have a point of reference as everyone has an opinion and the various opinions might not line up with yours.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Sure, but that moved you out of cheap very quickly. Line 6 also has the Amplifi so you can have multiple options. I take cheap as $200-300 range, but there are still valid solutions in that range. If you are up to $1000 then you are out of cheap and into CLR and other higher end solutions.

• I believe "cheap" and "great" collide with each other when it comes to linear loudspeakers.

OTOH, "cheap" and "decent" may have some intersection. You'll get what you paid for tho, as already stated.
    You see, this is not guitar combos, linearity can be measured and is hard to achieve, hence expensive. There's much more than amplitude response and power in it.

• I thought I read that they are not great to use with the Kemper

Maybe they got a bad one or had an eq. curve on? I had two along with an EV ELX112 and an EV SXA250. I also ran my Kemper through the Guitar Center available speakers (Peavey, Mackie, QSC...) as a test at GC. Everyone will have an opinion, but I wouldn't have an issue using them or buying them.

• Anyone any suggestions for passive ones ( I think all of the above are active?) ? I assume the EV ZXL12 is the passive equiv but anyone any expeirence with a powered rack or head?

• I tried out the Alto, a K12 and a ZLX-12p. The Alto sounded way harsher than the ZLX and K12. The K12 sounded great it just wasn't double the price great when compared to the ZLX, I've had the ZLX for about a year nowand am very happy with my tone.