MIDI controllers I can put in the back of a 4U rack case?

• I have been looking into this for a while and I want a comprehensive MIDI controller which will fit in the back of my kemper rack case. The space i'm playing with is 7.5" or 19.5cm tops as far as depth (which seems to be the main limitation) and 19" long unsurprisingly. I have been tempted to use a liquid jr+ giving me this I think and room for a small expression pedal. So just checking, what else am I missing which is a decent pedal (preferably phantom powered) which will fit in the case?

• Peteus - Given the size constraint your working from, the only one that comes to mind would be a Rolls MiddyBuddy. http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_MP128.pdf

But be aware, although robust, these are rather dated and "limiting" controllers.
    I say limiting since they're somewhat dated and awkward to program.
    I had one these for a brief period back in day and quickly "flipped" it for something else to better suit my midi needs of the time.

Many here (like myself) use the Behringer FCB1010 with dedicated chips designed to work with Kemper for increased programming simplicity.
    I also found a clever SKB soft case with shoulder straps (SKB-SC2709) for about $40 U.S.
    No problems toting it around anywhere.

No definitive word on the Kemper's controller size, but I believe it's expected to be revealed for the Winter Namm event. Finger's crossed ; )

Hope this helps.

Happy Kemper

• Silly question, just about to get my Powerrack and I have a small Rolls midi pedal that intended using for controlling the Kemper. I don't want to do anything sophisticated, just select "patches" ( I might get an expression pedal later). For example not bothered about switching on and off stomp boxes.

Not sure I understand the different between this and a programmable controller like the FCB 1010 with a chip ? What am I missed? Mapping ?

Sorry to hijack, but I think its related...

• <p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>

Silly question, just about to get my Powerrack and I have a small Rolls midi pedal that intended using for controlling the Kemper. I don't want to do anything sophisticated, just select &quot;patches&quot; ( I might get an expression pedal later). For example not bothered about switching on and off stomp boxes.</p>

<p>Not sure I understand the different between this and a programmable controller like the FCB 1010 with a chip ? What am I missed? Mapping ?</p>

<p>Sorry to hijack, but I think its related...

</p>

<p>If you only want to do patch change the Rolls will be fine.</p>

• I would never buy a midi board on the basis of whether it'll fit in my existing rack. Makes more sense to buy the controller, since you could buy a bigger rack if better. The midi controller would be more integral to your performances than the rack box! ^^

The point is I want a smaller rig. I could get a huge rig with extra stuff etc... But, I own a kemper what more am I actually going to need? Isn't that the point of it all the amps you need in a box plus all the processing. Even a next gen kemper is unlikely to get bigger. Main point is I want a simple rig which sounds good and packs away into the car for long trips, quick to assemble, less stuff to shuffle onto a stage and ram into a cramped gear room. And less cables. So final rig would be small phantom powered midi pedal and expression pedal into kemper power rack, a wireless rack unit into the kemper input nothing more or less. Add an emergency cable in the other rack lid sorted for bass and guitar gigs and recordings. Basically, I want a small amazing portable rig.

• I just meant find a fine balance between functionality and form. There's a trade-off to each, but I'd always give more weightage to functionality. What are your requirements? Just shifting performances up and down? Get a basic amp footswitch, those work for that purpose, or maybe a Tech 21 Midi Mouse. Want five stomps per performance? Or maybe want to activate and deactivate effects from time to time? Get an FCB1010. Or maybe a SoftStep, those look really dinky.

All of these devices are reasonably small and should serve you well.

Keep in mind that your requirements could always change over time, probably the reason you bought something as advanced as the Kemper in the first place. I don't think the midi out of the Kemper provides phantom power though. You'll have to carry a wall wart or power cable for whatever you choose. ^^