Ground loop noise with 2 Yamaha DXR10 - How to solve it

• Hello, this is an issue that drove me mad for a long time. My setup is rather simple: KPA unpowered, 2 Yamaha DXR10 connected in stereo with 2 TS cables (monitor out and direct output), that's it.

At home, a slight noise appeared when connecting the second Yamaha to the direct output, fixed by pushing the relative ground lift button. In live venue, this wasn't that simple: sometimes, when someone turned on some other equipment (speakers, lights and so on) a very loud buzz came from the DXR10, making me struggling to find the right combination of lift buttons.

To solve this issue, follow the DXR10 instructions to link a second speaker: connect two TS cables to the second input of the first Yamaha (Left and right). Push the stereo button on the bottom and connect a XLR cable from the link out to first input of the second DXR10; set the volume to 0 and the link mode to mono. Mic/line switch set on line for both speakers.

The second DXR10 volume depends on the first DXR10 volume, so to balance them or to make one speaker louder, adjust the two volumes from the KPA.

• I would have imagined that using the different ground lifts on the Kemper should be able to do the trick.

Indeed they do the trick, but turning on and off other equipment (likely with different ground configuration) may mess up your settings. I happened during a gig to hear a very loud ZZZZZ during a song because someone turned on some lights in the other room of the venue :huh:
    yes, probably the venue electrical system sucked, but you never know!

You mean it is easier to get rid of the noise if you connect the 2nd speaker via the stereo option of the first DXR?
    Interesting!

Yes, you could also isolate the ground prong of one speaker, but don't do it with speakers. Also Yamaha advises to avoid that solution.

• I would not do it with anything, specially with my hands holding a pole with metal strings along it and a conductive cord keeping me connected to a transformer 8o

Thanks for your effort and your description tho, much appreciated :thumbup:

• Hi Alex

I know the problem also from other devices. There is a very simple solution that will cost you around 20 Euro.

Behringer HD400 Microhd 2 Channel Hum Destroyer ...

This is good for stereo and solved all my issues with hum / noise. I have 3 of them :)

Cheers
    Sacapuntas