Performance Mode

• I have two things that would enhance the performance mode for me:

1. The whole performance mode divided in "setlists". Lets say 8 or more. Each Setlist opperates just like the normal performance mode, with the posibility to save different Setups.
    I'm playing guitar in different bands so I could use one setlist per band. This would be a great feature.

2. "Intelligent"-Assign. Many people are using different midifootcontrollers for the KPA. Some of them have 3 or 4 or 5 presets per bank. In order to use the performance mode you can only use a footswitch with 5 presets per bank.
    In the "intelligent"-midi assign, the kemper changes midi depending on how much slots you use for each performance.
    So if the first performance has 3 used slots the midi Prg for the 1. slot of the second performance is automatically #4.
    If the second performance has 4 used slots the midi prg for the 1. slot of the third performance is #8, and so on.
    That would make it easier to use performance mode with all kind of footcontrollers.

• I have two things that would enhance the performance mode for me:

1. The whole performance mode divided in "setlists". Lets say 8 or more. Each Setlist opperates just like the normal performance mode, with the posibility to save different Setups.
    I'm playing guitar in different bands so I could use one setlist per band. This would be a great feature.

I don't get it. What about renaming the perfomances according to the setlist? This is what I do.. If you need 6 or more sounds, use 2 or more perfomances.

2. "Intelligent"-Assign. Many people are using different midifootcontrollers for the KPA. Some of them have 3 or 4 or 5 presets per bank. In order to use the performance mode you can only use a footswitch with 5 presets per bank.
    In the "intelligent"-midi assign, the kemper changes midi depending on how much slots you use for each performance.
    So if the first performance has 3 used slots the midi Prg for the 1. slot of the second performance is automatically #4.
    If the second performance has 4 used slots the midi prg for the 1. slot of the third performance is #8, and so on.
    That would make it easier to use performance mode with all kind of footcontrollers.

It feels complicated to me

• I don't get it. What about renaming the perfomances according to the setlist? This is what I do.. If you need 6 or more sounds, use 2 or more perfomances.

It feels complicated to me

I also have this need, as I mentioned in an earlier post. Not complicated at all to me. Just make a new parameter in the system menu, which lets you define the number of slots in a performance (let's say between 1 and 5). And then dynamically calculate the midi program number needed per slot, based on that new parameter. Peace of cake.

• There is a separate thread that is asking for Performance Management within Rig Manager.

In that thread, I also suggested it would be useful to be able to name, save, and load complete sets of Performances for different bands/set lists.

If they were saved in Rig Manager, there would be no need to set a limit on the number of saved Performance sets :)

What about 2 - 4 performance sets in the kemper (for the road) and limitless on pc/rig manager :whistling:

• 1. The whole performance mode divided in "setlists". Lets say 8 or more. Each Setlist opperates just like the normal performance mode, with the posibility to save different Setups.

I agree. I'd like this feature as well. I also like the idea of this being in the Rig Manager.

• +1 for more in-depth PERFORMANCE MODE management...

ie. Set-lists / Different bands or artists, genres even?!

And moreover, being able to use RigManager for Performance Mode (backing up and arrangement most importantly... but also, the basics that already exist such as editing, control etc.)

A ONE-TOUCH backup button for the ENTIRE Kemper in RigManager would be ace too! (Saves having to plug a USB stick in and then into a computer as USB sticks can fail...)

I hear some of these changes are coming in the next version of RM, so excellent, but some ideas above may be new :)

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Also, I'd like to be able change the colour of the LCD screen on INDIVIDUAL SLOTS within Performance mode, for example, RED screen for a hi-gain slot and blue for a slot with a clean tone

Ideally on the Kemper remote as well as the Profiler itself - but I'm not certain the remote has this functionality (looks like it may just be a white LCD screen throughout, which is a shame...)

Be nice to have more options for views on the remote also (ability to take things out / add them in - for example, I don't need to know the amp profile I'm using at all times on the remote LCD - would rather have a larger 'TITLE')

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Ah I was thinking submitted - like a feature request..!

Arrg I'm dying for the updated version of RM - my performance mode is turning into chaos and needs organisation...!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I agree - performance mode w/ a programmable amount of slots would be ideal. I had a feature request a while back that was more complicated, but, after this post, and after thinking about it, it would be great to specify a slot count of 2-5 globally. Basing it off the controller would be too difficult, and controllers don't have a standardized SysEx message they could send to state what they are.

The difficult thing would be migrations - say I have it set to 5 slots per performance, and I'm using a controller like the FCB1010. If it breaks, I would resort back to using an old Line 6 X3, which only has 4 "slots" per bank, so I would adjust the master setting to 4 slots per performance. What would happen with those performances that have 5 slots filled? Would it spill over or migrate to the next performance? Would it get deleted altogether? Or would everything just get wiped?

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• It would be much simpler to avoid those issues with a backup controller. You could sell the X3, and get a cheap old "5 Slot" controller made by Ground Control, ART, Rolls, Yamaha, Roland, Behringer, etc.

I was using that as an example, but many people use the Pod HDs as their controller, and I used an X3... for about a week before I sold it. But you're missing the point altogether - you're trying to solve a problem for someone that obviously doesn't have money to go throwing around in addition to their amp by suggesting they spend more money on it. Setting a set number of slots per performance would solve it, whether you have a controller that has 2 slots per bank, or 3, or 4, or 5.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky

• @dougc84: You can decide to make a slot inactive. So actually you could easily go from a 5-slot layout to a 4-slot right now with the present firmware.
    The migration problem you mentioned before would persist though.
    You could make up 2 kinds of peformances then, 4-slot and 5-slot.

• @dougc84: You can decide to make a slot inactive. So actually you could easily go from a 5-slot layout to a 4-slot right now with the present firmware.
    The migration problem you mentioned before would persist though.
    You could make up 2 kinds of peformances then, 4-slot and 5-slot.

No, that's incorrect. While, yes, you can set up a performance with only 4 active slots... actually, let me give an example.

With all slots active:
    Performance #1 uses MIDI Program Changes 1-5 to trigger the individual slots
    Performance #2 uses MIDI Program Changes 6-10

If you disable slot #5 on Performance #1, what you end up with is:
    Performance #1 uses MIDI Program Changes 1-4
    PC #5 now does nothing.
    Performance #2 STILL uses MIDI Program Changes 6-10

This causes an issue with any controller that isn't 5 button. More controllers are going to 5-button preset layouts, which doesn't really make any sense (since MIDI spec is base 2 anyway), but whatever - not every MIDI controller is 5-button. If I have a 4-button controller (regardless if it's a POD, Peak, something "vintage," whatever) that has program changes hard-coded into the selectors, what happens with the "disabled slot" is now Bank 2's first button (1, A, whatever it is) is now no longer mapped to anything.

Here's a chart of the incompatibilities, with the 5th slot disabled:

Kemper Performance/Slot Kemper MIDI PC 4-Button Controller Bank 4-Button Controller Slot (A-D)
    1/1 (enabled) 1 1 A
    1/2 (enabled) 2 1 B
    1/3 (enabled) 3 1 C
    1/4 (enabled) 4 1 D
    1/5 (disabled slot) n/a
    2/1 (enabled) 6 2 B
    2/2 (enabled) 7 2 C
    2/3 (enabled) 8 2 D
    2/4 (enabled) 9 3 A
    2/5 (disabled) n/a
    3/1 (enabled) 11 3 C
    3/2 (enabled) 12 3 D
    3/3 (enabled) 13 4 A
    3/4 (enabled) 14 4 B
    3/5 (disabled) n/a

If you can't see the issue offhand, performance 1 spans the controller's 1A-1D slots. Great! But, performance 2 now uses 2B-3A. Awkward. You now have to switch banks for that particular performance. Even worse is performance 3 - it will use the controller's 3C-4B slots. This pattern eventually loops around, but that's still an issue.

So, for someone with this kind of controller, the user has two options:

1. Ignore the performance mode's "performances" and bank change off the individual MIDI PCs. This means either naming every performance generically, and moving around sounds means reshuffling slots, not simply reorganizing slots.
    2. Keep with the performance mode's "performances" and just deal with it or spend money on another controller, whether that's an FCB1010, a Kemper controller, whatever. This means someone having to sell their perfectly useful controller just to fit within the "Kemper MIDI spec."

A solution to both problems would be global MIDI reassignment based on accepted banks, making the controller's bank match up with the Kemper's performance bank, and the controller's slot match up with the Kemper performance's slot.

• Or, use Browse Mode, and manually map the Rigs to MIDI Program changes.

But it's not easy to manage songs or keep any consistency or order. Browse should be used to browse your rigs. Performance should be the place to place them and modify them for performance - setting up presets and such.

For myself, I use roughly 15-30 unique slots (over 5-10 performances) per set I play, and the next set may only borrow 20% of those slots. I would have loved to have saved the $150 I feel I wasted on a Behringer FCB1010 - it is, hands down, the worst controller I've ever used - but I had to, because the three of them I have sitting around are all 4-slot-per-bank controllers, and I'm not yet able to afford the controller I'm ultimately going to buy. The other option was ditch the Kemper altogether and go back to my Vox AC-15 and AC-30, and go back to tapdancing on my pedalboard.

Listen, I'm just in favor of OP's points on this. I'm done arguing the point, which, I believe, is incredibly valid. The "oh no we don't need that, just do this instead" arguments are not valid at all because not everyone has encountered the same issue or has had the misfortune of having to use something that isn't the current standard. Failing to support controllers that don't have a multiple of 5 preset buttons essentially makes performance mode a waste of money for those users, and, guess what? They'll go somewhere else.