all profiles (factory and others)seem to be clipping (red) output

• Hi,
    I have my clean sense set to -5db and don't seem to be clipping the input however whenever I bring up a factory profile or one of the ones I have bought (TAF etc) they default with the volume at 12:00 noon and all seems to clip the output. The output doesn't go solid red in most cases but just wondering how to remedy this?

I am using a Gibson LP Standard w/ standard pups. This happens whether using headphones, going out of power amp into cab or going direct.

Thanks,
    Derek

• Hey Derek,

just turn down either of the several gain/volume controls you find in the middle, except for Master volume :)

This included Volume, Cab volume, and any of the fx volume/gain/level settings.

When Cab volume is neutral you have the unity gain for the block.

Once you find the perfect settings, you can resave the rig :)

Note that an occasional red flashing won't mean saturating the D/A converter.

• After you make the adjustments hold down the Lock button, this will save it globally for you. It also sounds like the factory rigs are louder than ones you normally use, I highly recommend raising all the volumes to meet the factory & TAF volumes. That way down the road if you try new rigs they should be in the right ballpark volume wise to start with.

• When i first played TAF rigs i found them a little hot with my PRS Navarro (the pickups in this guitar are hot anyway) so i too used to clip the output. Here is what i did to sort this issue as.

My clean sense is -10 this prevents me from clipping the input now to stop the output clipping you can turn down the volume of each rig i normally turn down about 3 db. You will probably notice in TAF rigs that the X slot has a EQ in and the volume will be boasted in the EQ so you can turn that down aswell which should stop the output clipping. Remember CK did say its near on impossible to clip the output due to its soft clip feature :)

• Speaking of WiKPA.org :)

Q: I know than when the light above master turns red, this means my sound is clipping.... I’m pretty sure it is because I am getting a distorted recording and sound from the monitor on a very clean rig with no gain. Why is it clipping? Do I need to adjust the "sens" things?

A: The output light turning red means you’re clipping the output. The sens parameters control the input clipping. If the input light is also turning red then you can turn down the clean sens until the input is no longer turning red.

If you are green on input, but clipping on output, the issue is within the rig and typically one of the follow-ing: clean sens too high (on clean rig), speaker volume too high, profile volume too high, or post effect (such as a boost) volume too high.

Another way to lower output volume is to add an EQ in the X slot and leave it flat but reduce the volume until the clipping goes away. This will probably be the least tone-affecting.

For compensating volume loss you can increase Master Volume.

• Doesn't the LP Standard have Burstbuckers? They are WAY hotter than the Classic 57 and 57 Plus I have in my Standard Traditional. Plus there are several versions of them I haven't kept up with (Bursbucker type I, II, III)

In the one guitar I do have using a Burstbucker (Type I I believe), I have to turn things WAY down. But with my LP using Classic 57's I don't.

So work your guitar's volume knob first. I don't think a Burstbucker was meant to be used full open all the time. If you put a good Cap on it you can get a more controllable tapering. On mine, I gotta turn it down to level 2 to get to AC/DC as it starts in friggin' Death Metal land full open, but that's in another guitar body (thin cedar) and surely isn't equal to the LP in tone which may make it more mellow I'd think.

• Question: Are you saying it's clipping just because you see the Master indicator LED turning RED? Or are you HEARING clipping by your ears? Cause they are NOT the same thing in the KPA I have found.

I can hit redline all day long on some profiles, no true clipping. You gotta go by your ears as the KPA has a huge amount of headroom.

• I play regular strat pickups, and TAF profiles are still clipping. I don't know why they are making their profiles so hot. Kind of annoying . Louder doesn't mean better !!!

Just turn them down :D Or turn off the EQ in the X slot, I have to with most of TAF rigs and it's not an issue with me, but then some rigs I've tried on the RE I have to turn down aswell or I get clipping on the output.

• Hi db9091,

I would say it is mainly just as visual annoyance when the output clips red as I don't "really" hear any significant distortion from the clipping but rather wanted to make sure I was doing things correctly.

Thanks,
    Derek

• In the one guitar I do have using a Burstbucker (Type I I believe), I have to turn things WAY down. But with my LP using Classic 57's I don't.

I'm using the same input settings with most of my guitars which include a LPC with BB2/BB3, a Tom Anderson HSH superstrat with a set of their hottest passive pickups, as well as weaker pickups in a strat (Lindy Fralin vintage hot), a tele (G&L alnico) and a 1979 L5 with original humbuckers. I rarely touch the input sense parameters at all. Maybe a guitar with active pickups would be different, but I don't have one. By adjusting the input sense to make all guitars appear equally hot I find that I'm washing away the uniqueness of each instrument. It's better to have separate rigs for each guitar where gain and volume are dialled in for that particular instrument. I generally just make sure there's no clipping on the input (rare), use the gain+eq+effects to dial in the tone and set the rig volume so that the output doesn't clip.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Guys, if the input is not clipping it makes no sense to lower Clean...Sens: it will just make the A/D converter S/N worse. Better to turn down one of the gain stages in the chain, as described in Paul's quotation.

• Rig volume. Often overlooked and under-estimated. Sometimes it's a combination of a guitar pickups characteristics that make it clip (Red LED) for some people and not for others. Don't be afraid to lower rig volume and save over a profile. This way, you will not be changing any of the character of the profile, just lowering it's volume and creating the headroom you need.