all profiles (factory and others)seem to be clipping (red) output

• Rig volume. Often overlooked and under-estimated. Sometimes it's a combination of a guitar pickups characteristics that make it clip (Red LED) for some people and not for others. Don't be afraid to lower rig volume and save over a profile. This way, you will not be changing any of the character of the profile, just lowering it's volume and creating the headroom you need.

This!
    And don't forget to look at the cab volume as well.
    i have seen rigs where this was set unnecessarily high.

• I have similar experiences. On some factory profiles and some more of Andy's profiles, the output is clipping (not just seeing, but hearing clipping). As for Andy's profiles - there are quite a bunch with an eq in the x-slot that boosts the volume (sometimes even an 80Hz boost) - that's easily fixed - just turn the eq off and get rid of the 80Hz boost.
    However, the factory profiles' clipping puzzled me for quite a long time - especially after they have announced that they have adjusted and balanced the levels of their factory profiles on the latest versions. I was thinking that I had my clean sense not well adjusted - but then I found that even among clean or almost clean factory profiles there are considerable differences in perceived (and actual) volume, so I simply decided that their attempt to balance the volumes of the profile simply hasn't been sucessful.

• But, the OP is saying ALL factory profiles have this problem.

Since no one else has this problem with factory profiles, it is not the profiles - it is a settings issue, or maybe a hardware issue,

In such a situation, I'd home in on the guitar and its pickups, as ridiculous a premise as that might seem. Are they delivering too hot a signal to the Kemper? OP, some information about your guitar and pickups would be appreciated. Unless there is a firmware issue, in which case a factory reset might make things right, but check with support first.

In such a situation, one way to reduce the volume across clean rigs would be too lower clean sense. But as others had earlier mentioned in threads about a year old, some pickups are just so loud that they couldn't lower clean sense enough. Mr CK had mentioned in those threads that he was thinking of modifying the clean sense so that it had more negative values than positive, which I thought was a great idea, since I don't think many profilers had a requirement of boosting clean tones so much, whereas there usually was a requirement to lower it.

As far as distorted profiles, I'm at a loss about what could be done short of manually tweaking profiles. Just an FYI for the OP, Mr CK has considered doing away with distorted sense altogether, as its more of a universal gain control rather than a volume control.

• Thanks everyone for your feedback :)

Some additional information:
    1. I have found the same issue with multiple firmwares
    2. I have found the same issue with my two Kempers, Head and Power-Head.
    3. I have reset global settings (initialize global settings)
    4. ***Sorry, forgot to note that my CS is presently set to -6.0db

The guitar is a 2002 LP Standard w/59 neck. Not exactly sure which pup's are in it.

Again , the input LED does not ever clip red ONLY the output. Would having "hot" pup's not clip the input?

How do you do a factory reset?

Unless there is a firmware issue, in which case a factory reset might make things right, but check with support first.

Thanks again,
    D

• But, the OP is saying ALL factory profiles have this problem.

Yep, in this case lowering Clean Sens would be the fastest tweak indeed, but he'll have the opposite problem with the rigs which don't clip.

OP: In this case, lowering CS would not be meant to not clip the input, but jsut as an overall volume reduction. More or less like lowering your guitar's pot (or PUs), but w/o affecting the tone.
    You'd have less volume with all the rigs tho.

:)

• 1. I have found the same issue with multiple firmwares
    2. I have found the same issue with my two Kempers, Head and Power-Head.
    3. I have reset global settings (initialize global settings)
    4. ***Sorry, forgot to note that my CS is presently set to -6.0db

If the input doesn't clip (input green LED) then I don't see why the output would clip unless the rig-volume is extremely high. Your guitar/pickups etc shouldn't make any difference if the KPA's input doesn't clip. It is very few of the standard rigs or even the entire collection available on the rig-exchange that have the volume set too high for the output-stage. I'd guess that less than 1% of the rigs I've come across have the volume set so high that the output goes into the red, and even those are easily fixed by reducing the rig-volume a bit. I would have suggested defect hardware, but find it hard to believe that multiple units all would have the same problem unless they've been damaged by something external.

How is you power?

You don't use any external boosting stomps or other external equipment with the KPA?

</scratching head>

• So MY Input light is turning red. You're saying, if Cab volume and all that is set to "zero" in the rig itself, then lowering my Clean Sens should resolve it? It is happening on quite a few profile packs I have bought recently.

• @JerEvil that wiki information is from long before Kemper posted the Clean Sense set up video. I suggest using the video to set the clean sense for your guitar.

I'll give it a go. So the Clean Sens will in fact tailor the overall input signal. That is not very clear anywhere, either wiki or manual.

• I see nothing wrong in that quote.
    If you're clipping the Input, turn Clean Sens down. If you use more than one guitar, you can set the Input parameters per instrument and save them as a preset.
    If you clip the input, the rig or cab volume (phisically placed in the signal chain after the input) have no influence on that.

What probably mislead you in the wikpa is the reference to CS if the output clips. Just ignore it! But it makes sense if you think of it: the higher the input the higher the overall level, so the output may clip.
    Basically, it means that if you're clipping the output you might use CS for fixing that, but it would not be a good idea: better to operate on the rig, cab, fx volume(s) for obvious reasons :)

Hope this clarifies.

Also, I'd advise you to lock the Input per guitar, so that nothing you upload can change it :)

• Soooo...

guess what worked? Adjusting the Clean Sens dropped it 3db and now I am still getting some yellow but no red at all. Didn't even notice I was clipping the Output too and that is also resolved.

thanks all!

so now I need to figure out how to lock my input per guitar.

• so now I need to figure out how to lock my input per guitar.

Your input section should remain locked. When you're in the input settings page, check to make sure the lock button is illuminated. This makes it a global setting. Changing guitars means going into input and changing that setting.

If you want to create separate rigs for each guitar, keep it unlocked, make copies of each rig, and then adjust the input (and probably the name!) of each rig, and save.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• a little bit of red is not bad though CK did state that the KPA does have a soft limiter in it and there is plenty of headroom. Mine flashes red if i palm mute and strum quite hard

• Your input section should remain locked. When you're in the input settings page, check to make sure the lock button is illuminated. This makes it a global setting. Changing guitars means going into input and changing that setting.

If you want to create separate rigs for each guitar, keep it unlocked, make copies of each rig, and then adjust the input (and probably the name!) of each rig, and save.

With the Input Locked, You can Name And Save Input Settings for each guitar. When you change guitars, simply go to the Input Menu, and select one of the presets you created.