KPA and 4x12 cab

• I'm confused. To run a 4x12 you just need to use the speaker output in mono as previously stated.

This requires very little configuration or set up - just plug in. As long as the Power Amp is engaged it should be fine.

You should get a reasonably strong sound which you then tweak using cab sims etc. You do not have to match the profile cab to your cab.

I am using a powerrack with a 4x12 and apart from me still trying to find the perfect sound, it will sound great.

• but if you really don't like the Kemper, get rid of it.

That's quite a statement...I can't blame an amp for the fact that I have trouble in using the right knobs for a decent sound. If pro's can get a perfect tone, then it's a matter of finding out how to get that too. That's what this forum is all about, right...?
    The tone from my FRFR QSC K8 is fine, but a 4x12 looks better on stage (don't you think?) Now it's just the question: How to get a professional and loud sound with such a cabinet with all the benefits of EQ, fx etc.
    In the end it is a power amp (right?) with a cabinet.....but somehow it doesn't match now somewhere....I want to find the problem.

• OK. Here's what I've done. I disconnected the 2 speaker cables (stereo) and use just the mono input of the cab (16 Ohm mono left))That's an improvement. I got my fx back.
    I tried the same with a Marshall VS 212 cab. Just mono left. The sound is OK. The one thing that worries me is that the volume should be much higher with Volume about 50%. Where is that 600 W of power when you need blowing the crowd away in that solo....? I have a real all valve amp and volume settings on 2 almost blow my walls apart...

• why should be higher? because your tube amp goes louder til 4 and then is not louder only more compressed?
    If you think it is not enough loud, you can set power amp boost in the output section higher (as I remember you have it at +3dB, try +6dB, it goes until +12dB).

AND READ THE MANUAL AND FAQ – IT IS EVERYTHING THERE!

• Thanks Paults! I was allready there...

I went back to WIKPA.ORG, page AMPLIFYING. The section NON FRFRF says:

Non FRFR is basically a conventional setup with a neutral amp and guitar speakers with their limited bandwith which will color the sound in a certain way. This is mostly suited to players who want to use the Kemper Profiler more like a conventional guitar rig, don't need that much variety or don't want to do the paradigm shift of going FRFR. As most of the sonic information s in the cab portion of the profile, Kemper introduced the CabDriver feature in firmware 1.5. CabDriver was introduced to keep the tube power amp characteristics and speaker action of the original amp and translate it to a conventional speaker cabinet. The addition of this feature minimized tweaking of sounds suited for guitar cabs.

Pressing the link to this Cabdriver, it says: There is currently no text in this page.
    You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.

Finally I got to kemper-amps.com/news.
    At the bottom of this page there's an article: Kemper Profiling Amplifier software version 1.5 featuring CabDriver, supporting all kinds of speaker systems (nov.2 2012)

It says: To get the perfect "amp in the room" sound on stage or in the rehearsal room, simply amplify the signal from the Profilers monitor output with any neutral solid-state power amp into a standard guitar cabinet. And now for the nifty bit: you can run the full profile to the main PA of the venue while simultaneously "cabdriving" your guitar speaker cabinet for monitoring on stage.

There's a picture going along with it: a 4x12 + KPA + a white Gibson SG. This combination of cab and KPA is my aim

But I have the top of the bill: a 600 W amp in the KPA. So now I should be forced to buy an extra solid-state power amp to get some extra volume? I don't understand this. Do I read wrong or am I asking too much?

• I gigged my Powerrack at volume...I have an Engl 100W head which is very loud.

The Kemper is that loud )( possibly louder) so you will have no volume concerns. You just have things set up not quite right.

You are in danger of fiddling too much as mine was fine out of the box. Plugged in...boom.

Mono Cab 8 or 16 ohms it's fine. You can get more volume out of it by changing some of the settings already suggested.

So I suggest, start basic by just runnign a 4 x12. Get that where you want to be before worrying about other outputs/set ups which I think are confusing things. I am goign through that process, nearly sorted my amp in a room sound and now exploring running direct through a PA.

There is a lot to get your head around.

Oh, and read the manual....

• yes ...the manual....the manual... I guess that's why this forum exists...
    There 's is a difference between a manual and a description of what a machine can do.

But I get the picture. I'll try to sort out things myself. Thanks.

• I don't think people are asking you to read the manual because they are not willing to help. This forum helps people all the time - especially new users :)

But, this is complicated equipment, so every new user needs the knowledge in the manual to be able to get the best use from it.

If you don't know the information that is in the manual, the Kemper will always be frustrating to use, and you will never get it to work for you as well as it could if you know the information.

• yes ...the manual....the manual... I guess that's why this forum exists...
    There 's is a difference between a manual and a description of what a machine can do.

But I get the picture. I'll try to sort out things myself. Thanks.

Hey I didn't mean to offend you, it's just that it seemed like you were chasing your tail a little bit, and with all the outdated information floating about, the quickest and easiest route to finding a solution without getting confused is via the official resource. With a little time spent on this forum, you'll come to realize there are quite a few myths and misunderstandings amongst users, which is only natural with a machine as flexible and powerful as the profiler. best to get your info straight from the horses mouth, as it were.

Cheers,
    Sam

• I'm sorry Sam!
    I know you and anyone else are right, but I want to play instead of having to read (I'm quite impatience)
    It's a bit frustration too. No hard feelings! ;)

My impatience affects performing 100 songs (all kinds of sounds/ fx etc) within 2 months on stage so yes...there's pressure, not for the songs but to know what, how, where etc......

Searching I found the Reference Manual 2.5 pdf. There 's more explanation in here than in the supporting booklet (The Basics & Profiling Guide) that comes with the Kemper.
    I have higher volumes to my cab now (thanks to the part about Outputs and Volumes (cab volume) maybe unconventional but it works for now.

I still have questions but hopefully I can find answers in this reference manual.
    Thanks again.

• You should always feel you're able to ask the forum. It's just that in that particular instance and without us all knowing your settings and cab, the reference manual would be a much bigger help. Don't hesitate to ask if you need to!

Cheers,
    Sam

• Theplayer, look at it this way:

senior members here spend a lot of time on this board, because it's in the human nature to be social and helpful with others. But we too would like to have more time for playing rather than responding to questions :)

Now, if you were the only newbie in need for some help, there would be no issues. But the fact is that hundreds of users come here and most often ask questions or report issues that are already covered on the manuals.
    Do you have a rough idea about how many times I (and many others here) happened to answer the "I can't find the chorus presets in my fx", or "no matter how much I lower the Master volume, the output is clipping", or "it's annoying that when I tune there's still sound going to the PA" questions? LOL

On a side note, you're probably young or not accustomed to attending technical forums: there are some of them where the most experienced members won't ever bother responding questions that can be solved by knowing the basics, and will just address you with a RTFM or RTFF.
    On many of those forums, before signing in you have to agree that you have read the manuals and/or the FAQs, and that you'll check older posts before posting questions :)

BTW, download both the Basic and the Reference pdf.
    Also, do not underestimate wikpa.org: a great resource that took a very lot of work to be put together :)

• You're in my heart with your remark: "you're probably young" (LOL)
    I'm 61 (but playing guitar keeps me young and alive, like on my avatar...)

This is not my first forum. I use a lot of other forums too and I know how much time everyone in every forum tries its best to give answers to questions and help wherever they can. And I certainly appreciate all the help you all give! No mistake about that! You all do a great job! :thumbup:

The Reference manual, like I wrote, is much clearer and explains a lot more than my booklet The basisc & profiling guide. So I will dig into that. Nevertheless there will be questions left. Hopefully I may ask them.

For now just one.
    From my computer I imported a number of 81 new rigs to the Rigmanager. I formatted a USB stick on the Kemper, trying to copy them to the KPA, but that doesn't work. Every time I have to format again. So I took a USB-cable type 2 from computer to Kemper. I pressed FILE and then: IMPORT RIGS.
    Rig manager says now: Local library: 81 rigs.
    So I assumed they were imported. But browsing doesn't show them between all the others.

And my KPA screen is busy (and hanging at rig 15!) for more than 1 hour with this actvity:
    http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15hejqr&s=8#.VFOylBbtyms

And notice: It's now 366...

Something wrong here?

• You're in my heart with your remark: "you're probably young" (LOL)
    I'm 61 (but playing guitar keeps me young and alive, like on my avatar...)

This is not my first forum. I use a lot of other forums too and I know how much time everyone in every forum tries its best to give answers to questions and help wherever they can. And I certainly appreciate all the help you all give! No mistake about that! You all do a great job!

The Reference manual, like I wrote, is much clearer and explains a lot more than my booklet The basisc & profiling guide. So I will dig into that. Nevertheless there will be questions left. Hopefully I may ask them.

Of course you may :) It's just a matter of respecting everyone's time and efforts, so newbies as well are expected to make their part trying to avoid questions whose answer is already in the main docs everyone is expected to read :)

Also, the wikpa will give you lost of further hints, tricks and info. Have you been already there? :)

Enjoy your new toy, forever-young man :thumbup: