Using External Effects... What are your favorite profiles for a canvas?

• I fully understand that for many, the Kemper is making external effects almost pointless, with that said, I will certainly be one who holds onto my pedal board.

I was wondering if there are any others holding onto external effects in conjunction with their Kemper and which profiles (rig exchange or commercial) seem to work best as a clean canvas for external gear?

Cheers :thumbup:

• There are some people who still use external effects, but I don't know that there are many who would set the Kemper clean, and use just external (presumably gain?) effects.

The approach that David Gilmour has taken works well for me. I have always chosen to bring a clean amp to the point of breaking up and using external boxes for fuzz, dist, and of course mod and time based effects. Although the Kemper does a great job with recreating amps I have not found the effects to merit getting rid of my pedal board just yet. Fuzzes and Vibes still seem to need a little more fine tuning. Tape echoes also are still edged out by analog options. The Wah is decent but I still prefer the Teese RMC 10.

Even if the Kemper can offer the possibility of profiling amps with a Klon or a rare Fuzz, it still just offers a snapshot which will not give the same range as the real thing.

• I have not used the KPA live yet, but as of now I am planning on keeping my pedalboard. That may change in time.
    I would LOVE to have just the Kemper and a foot controller with 3 - 4 expression pedals, but there are some effects in the
    KPA that, in my opinion, aren't quite there yet.

Fuzz
    I have found the Fuzz effects in the KPA to be good - and I will certainly use them in some instances - but I want to use
    both an MJM London Fuzz (germanium) and a Fulltone '70 (silicon) and I haven't been able to replicate those sounds yet.
    The internal Fuzzes are too loud in my opinion...I suppose I could create another rig with the volume backed down a bit when
    I use them, but I'd rather set a button on my controller to turn the Fuzz on and off without changing rigs.
    And besides, the more Fuzz the better right? I could combine an external and internal Fuzz for some crazy sonic mayhem!

Uni-Vibe (and various other Mod)
    The Phaser Vibe on the KPA is cool and usable for sure, but it's not quite the same or as satisfying to me as my MJM Sixties Vibe.
    But again...different flavors to complement one another will be cool! Hmm....I have a Vibe on my Mobius as well (also not quite as cool
    as the MJM, imo)...I wonder what it would sound like to have 3 Uni-Vibes going at once? 8o

Delay
    I really like the Delays on the Kemper! I use them exclusively at home and I'm perfectly satisfied with them. I will still use my Eventide Timefactor
    (or possibly a Strymon Timeline?) as well as the KPA delays. If Kemper ever lets us put a delay pre-stack, and if they create more delay types I may
    reconsider.

I have a number of OD boxes. I'll be keeping my Pork Loin on the board for now, but getting rid of my TC Nova Drive and my Catalinbread DLS MKIII. I just won't need
    them when I can get any level of OD from the profile :thumbup: , and push the front end a bit with the Pork Loin if I want.

• I have found the same exact thing. It should come as no surprise if you have searched years for just the right Fuzz or Vibe that one might be feeling that the Kemper has not replaced those effects. I have a London Germanium (3knob) among many other wonderful fuzzes, the Skreddy Lunar Module, Analogman Sunface BC 183 to name a few of my favs. My Sweetsound Ultra Vibe II and Drybell Vibe Machine are still preferred, My Strymon El Capistan, Timeline, Mobius and Bigsky have yet to be topped, and the Catalinbread Echorec is missed as well.

So what amp profiles are working best for you as a canvas? Even with real tube amps some work better with pedals than others.
    Any go to profiles?

• I won't be getting rid of my Strymon El Capistan anytime soon, but then I use it because of the grunge and warbles it can bring into the delay repeats. For clean delays, I have no qualms about using the internal effect. However, I'm still forced to use an external spring reverb..... And I'll still use my vintage TS9 every now and again.

Ps I'm in a big Fender phase, so I'm usually looking for those types of profiles (although I've also found a couple of AC30 profiles to rival my own amp loaded with greenbacks)

Cheers,
    Sam

• I've reduced my collection of external effects to the following:

Okko Diablo Gain+
    Zvex Fuzz Factory
    Strymon Mobius
    Strymon Timeline
    Strymon BigSky

I dig the effects that come with my Profiler but the above (imho) add to the capabilities. The Okko Diablo Gain+ is my favorite overdrive ever, couldn't replicate its sound with the built-in overdrive models. And the others go way beyond the Kemper effects.

Cheers
    Martin

• I won't be getting rid of my Strymon El Capistan anytime soon, but then I use it because of the grunge and warbles it can bring into the delay repeats. For clean delays, I have no qualms about using the internal effect. However, I'm still forced to use an external spring reverb..... And I'll still use my vintage TS9 every now and again.

Ps I'm in a big Fender phase, so I'm usually looking for those types of profiles (although I've also found a couple of AC30 profiles to rival my own amp loaded with greenbacks)

Cheers,
    Sam

I have yet try out to many profiles with external effects but I have certainly been loving the Fender Profiles and a few of the Vox's as well.
    I have noticed that some profiles seem to become really colored by externals while other ones seem to stay a bit more neutral like a blank canvas. So I am on the hunt for those profiles. If you guys have any particular profiles, feel free to share ;)

• I have found the same exact thing. It should come as no surprise if you have searched years for just the right Fuzz or Vibe that one might be feeling that the Kemper has not replaced those effects. I have a London Germanium (3knob) among many other wonderful fuzzes, the Skreddy Lunar Module, Analogman Sunface BC 183 to name a few of my favs. My Sweetsound Ultra Vibe II and Drybell Vibe Machine are still preferred, My Strymon El Capistan, Timeline, Mobius and Bigsky have yet to be topped, and the Catalinbread Echorec is missed as well.

So what amp profiles are working best for you as a canvas? Even with real tube amps some work better with pedals than others.
    Any go to profiles?

I actually haven't tried any of my pedals with the Profiler yet!
    I've had the KPA for about 2 months and I have just been messing with it's internal FX...enough to know that they will be useable in some situations and not in others. I haven't even used it in a live/rehearsal situation yet...just alone in my house at the moment.

Once I try some stuff out I will report back!

• I actually haven't tried any of my pedals with the Profiler yet!
    I've had the KPA for about 2 months and I have just been messing with it's internal FX...enough to know that they will be useable in some situations and not in others. I haven't even used it in a live/rehearsal situation yet...just alone in my house at the moment.

Once I try some stuff out I will report back!

I am less than 1 month in so you and I are in the same boat. I would love to hear what you come up with along the way. I will certainly post my Favorite profiles here for use with external effects once I get to this point.
    Cheers

• At the moment I'm using:

- Strymon Mobius
    - Strymon Timeline
    - Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah (best Auto Wah on earth....)
    - Fulltone Clyde and Cry Baby Wah

I don't use my overdrive-and boost-pedals (Okko Diablo, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fat Boost 2 ect.) when I'm using the KPA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• So Guenter, is it that you have just found that the OD and Dist in the Kemper works for you or that you have been unable to get the sound you liked through the profiles?

• I've noticed my earlier frequently used and actively updated pedalboard has received less and less attention since kemper arrived in the house. And now as my personal go-to profile collection has improved significantly within a year the external dirt boxes seem to become most unemployed of 'em all. This doesn't mean they don't work well with kemper - quite opposite - but in case I need a different amount of gain (or different gain structure or voicing) there usually is such amp profile that does the job even better or even with some similar pedal used in profiling.

The exception confirms the rule of course and sometimes is just pure fun to play with dirt pedals also and discover new sounds using them. One of my favorite dirt platform is Bogner Shiva profile - set clean or slightly on the edge. Then putting e.g. Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive (strat middle pickup, tone slightly off) or customized Lovepedal Englishman in front of it produce some unique sonic goodness. :thumbup:

Aside from OD boxes I'm seeing most advantage using external univibe, fuzz and delay. Out of these the external delay (Roland RE-20 or Strymon El Capistan) is only must have for me as I need to have one in some songs pre-effects that is not (yet) supported. In this case I put it in the mono loop as a first pedal and control it with midi. For fuzzes I'm using the Guitarsystems Sam's FuzzTool Jr custom hybrid (killer fuzz!! Replaced oxfuzz and mjm..), Skreddy Lunar Module, Fulltone Catalyst and Fulltone Octafuzz. THE vibe for me at the moment is Fulltone MDV3 Deja Vibe.

Here's a pic of the recent pedalboard test setup. Some nice pedals in there on there own, but not that mandatory anymore with KPA.

One great thing (out of many) about kemper is that it seems to work well with outboard gear in front of it - just as the real profiled amps would do. And therefore a good starting point for a good 'pedal platform' profile is to use one from amp known for its pedal friendly capabilities. In addition to Shiva, I've found also couple others working well with pedals such as Fender Twin and Bogner Goldfinger. There was probably some other gems also, but don't have kemper in front of me just now. (edit. Of course need to mention the Marshall -- fuzz into one of these good older JMP or Plexi = :thumbup:

Edited once, last by JuLai ().

• I'm still using my Neunaber Wet (Shimmer) Reverb. But the Kemper substitutes my Strymon Timeline and Big Sky more and more ;)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• I still love to use my distortion/ OD/fuzz pedals, I approach my Kemper the same way as any other amp. Besides, I still have my tube amps and use my pedals and so might as well use them with the Kemper too. Lastly, I tend to use more than one distortion/ OD pedal at the same time to blend them for the sound I want.

Still love my pedals!

• So Guenter, is it that you have just found that the OD and Dist in the Kemper works for you or that you have been unable to get the sound you liked through the profiles?

I sometimes use the KPA-Pure Booster, no KPA OD or Dist. and no pedals. I have so many great profiles from Armin, Andy and recently MW, there's no need for any OD or Dist.-stomps. Armin's Plexi, Diezel VH-4 and Goldfinger, Andy's Fenders, Engls, Marshalls etc. and MW's Über-pak offer a wide range of all distorted sounds from this planet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• I don't have any I use and still have a few left to sell. But one I was thinking of re-getting for playing live was a Holy Grail.

Only thing is, I HATE their non-standard connection, but if it's only one pedal I can hang with it.

I've waited and waited for a Spring Reverb so I don't have to get one. If KPA doesn't announce one by Christmas or NAMM I'll have to grab one off Craigslist.

• Thanks JuLai, Nice set up too. I am actually rebuilding my pedal board but once it is done I will do a full rig shot for the site.
    I have not hear of the Fuzz Tool Jr before. Sounds nice.