Behringer FCB 1010 - Uno chip vs. Uno4kemper

• Hello,

I just got a Behringer FCB1010 to control my kemper. It has the UNO chip already installed but I was wondering if there is a big difference in functionality between the UNO and the UNO4Kemper and if it's worth upgrading?

Thanks

• Well, the UnO chip is much more versatile than the Uno4K, but it needs programming, preferably use the editor that lg-fcb.com has developped.
    With the UnO you can assign any supported CC to a pedal for example which enables you to do delay mix with a pedal etc.
    This is not possible with the Uno4K where you are limited to CC 1 and 7 (wah and volume) for the pedals.
    OTOH the advantages of the UnO4K are many: easy layout without any editor or programming needs (basic programming is done on the unit itself), bi-directional communication with the profiler (tuner display and updated FX status on the FCB).
    If you don't need to do fancy things with your pedals I'd recommend to use the UnO4K.
    Personally I switcheed from UnO to UnO4K, adjusted my workflow a bit and haven't looked back.

• Ok thanks cmbrowns . Where is it shipped from? It has Euros for the price, so I'm afraid it'll get snagged in international mail. US mail is bad enough!

UPDATE: NVM, I looked at the site, and it can take 1-3 weeks at best, and 4-6 weeks at worst. Still hesitant on international shipping.

• Ok thanks cmbrowns . Where is it shipped from? It has Euros for the price, so I'm afraid it'll get snagged in international mail. US mail is bad enough!

UPDATE: NVM, I looked at the site, and it can take 1-3 weeks at best, and 4-6 weeks at worst. Still hesitant on international shipping.

Before I bought my Kemper FC, I used the FCB1010 with the Uno4Kemper chip in it. It did take some time to ship from the UK; however, it was well worth it. I gigged for 2 years with that setup and it was great. The Uno4K having the bidirectional feedback for the efx and performance mode was fantastic and well worth the small inconvenience of waiting for the chip, and installing it. Note, I am an electrical engineer, so replacing a socketed chip was of little concern for me. For those of you who are not familiar with replacing socketed chips, I recommend watching a YouTube video on it before trying it. It is quite easy to damage the old chip on the way out if it isn't pulled out evenly and if you ever want to sell your FCB1010, you will have much better luck selling it stock (since many more people need a general MIDI controller vs a Kemper programmed one.

When installing the new chip, the things to watch are:

0) Watch a video of someone else doing it :).

1) When working with chips, any static electricity can fry your chip. To avoid this problem, you need a ground strap. This grounds you so you can't build up a charge that then zaps the chip when you touch it. The round ground plug in a US electrical socket is a great ground you can easily find all over your house. Attach a wire from that round bottom pin to your arm. If you want to get fancy, you can purchase a ground strap on line cheap. Alternately, just touch ground before you touch or pick up the chip. If you have a home PC, the metal casing is always grounded. Touch the back where the expansion cards are and you will discharge any charge built up on you before touching the chip.

2) Make sure all pins align into holes in the socket before pressing down. This usually involves pressing in on the pins to get them to slot into the holes.

3) Press down gently and evenly across the chip slowly pressing it into the socket.

It is an easy operation as long as you know about the issues that can come up. Once aware of them, it is simple to avoid any problems.

I think they are located in Belgium. When you try to order one the order form says: "Shipping is initiated by BPost in Belgium and handled by your local post service."

• This!

I changed the chip on my FCB1010 when I had it, definitely worth it and definitely follow these instructions.

Easy to do ( I'm a total amateur), but important to follow this.

• Hm I wouldn't recommend people to attach themselves to any part of an electrical outlet. So many things can go wrong. And only a few can go right :). Otherwise, great advice.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Hm I wouldn't recommend people to attach themselves to any part of an electrical outlet. So many things can go wrong. And only a few can go right :). Otherwise, great advice.

Yes, I can see great potential for someone to plug into the wrong spot and get an unpleasant surprise ;). A standard electrical banana plug will only fit into the safety ground. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROC…id=pla-304379137420&psc=1

Still, to avoid this complication, just make sure you touch a good ground like the back of your computer (not the painted surface) and don't bother with a ground strap. Also, don't do this operation on carpet if you can help it as carpet tends to build up static. If you are in a room where you routinely get shocked from static electricity, then it is likely a bad place to do this :).