Step-by-Step Reamping Guide

• Uhm do I need to use interface at all? From the posts above what I get it is possible to use simple input, but is interface needed (DI BOx is not needed, right)
    Can I just run the signal directly from my pc to the input on the back?(Doesnt it have different impedance than the input in the front already?)
    I tested Focusrite Scarlett and Steinberg UR44- both sounded a little bit different with my monitors, but not really better than the output from my PC. I even have SPDIF output on the motherboard, so not sure if there is any advantage, maybe I am missing something.

Sure, you could reamp with your PC motherboard output, but whether you can then route the resultant audio to your speakers. etc, I am not sure.

This is because I've never tried doing this with a built-in audio card, my guess is that you will only be able to route the same signal to all outputs, rather than different signals to different outputs. This would mean the DI signal that you are feeding the Kemper is fed to all other outputs. Again, this is just a guess.

The advantage of having a dedicated interface is that you'll be able to achieve more complex routing and lower latency because you are taking this processing task off your motherboard and will have dedicated ASIO drivers.

• I decided to try to re amp today, 2 hrs later,

I read the manual, watched a few videos and spoke to Kemper guy

Here is signal chain, Focusrite 2i2 ( No SPIDF), Pro Tools , Mac

Gtr - Input front of Kemper

Direct Output on Kemper to FR Input 1 ( Direct output set to GIT Studio)

Main output kemperBack Left - FR Input 2 ( Main output assigned to Master Mono, or stereo or left or right )

Line output 1 Left on FR to Return input on Back of Kemper

I set two tracks in pro tools, both mono, One for input 1( Should be dry), one for Input 2 ( Should be amped). Outputs on both tracks is Out 1-2

Listening with headphones on scarlet

Track one has dry signal

Track 2 has nothing

If I enable

1 and two on DAW , feedback in 2

Kemper headphones work

Cannot get the signal back into the Kemper, I checked with a speaker and there is a signal going in

If I change input source to front, I can record, dry and amped. Not With input on

Something to do with routing in pro tools? I bet all this goes away if I get SPIDF

Any ideas, been running pro tools over 10 yrs, and I am puzzled

Edited 6 times, last by Loafman3 ().

• Have you changed the input on the Kemper in the input settings to the return input?

• As far as I can see there is no software avail for the 2i2 for a Mac, they are plug and play,

yes sir my prob is routing the output of the Focusrite, I am sure I am getting looping feedback. I cannot find how to do that in pro tools with the 2i2. have done some work in the I/O in pro tools but not luck.

I did find out you cannot listen to the re-amp with the 2i2 because it only has the two line outputs in the back. So what I was attempting to do was record with the re amp. This whole issue goes away with the bigger Focusrite.

My purpose for the re amp was to demo diff amps with the same riff, but from what I have found out, if I am successful , then I would have to record and listen vs live preview, that kind of kills the 2i2 all together then.

Edited 2 times, last by Loafman3 ().

• I tried all the steps but with "return input reamp" and connecting a TS cable from return input to input 1 in my interface, then tried all the output settings, and nothing worked. I am using Ableton, and I'm trying to reamp a DI bass track. I've just been soloing that track and keeping the input/outputs in the DAW the same. What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated

• There is no helpful info out there for the 2i2. It has to do with the output routing in your daw since the 2i2 does not have extra outputs.
    I gave up. I will try again when I get an 8i6

• You may be able to reamp with a 2i2 but you will be limited to listening with one mono monitor during recording and playback and you would have to swap the cables from recording to reamping every time requiring you to change DAW settings for each time. 4i4 would really be minimum requirements to reamp hassle free.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hello there,

i've having some issues with reamping. My gear is

Audient ID 22

spdif from ID22-->Kemper spdif
    Kemper xlr main output--> ID22 input 1
    Kemper direct output jack unbalanced --> ID22 input 2

I record both DI and wet signal to 2 different track with the following settings

Monitor output at Master mono
    Direct output at Gt studio
    Clean sense at 0

Distortion sense at 0

If i increase clen sense the input led goes red...so I leave it at 0 and it goes only yellow sometimes

Then when I reampa I get the following result compared with the wet signal

1. Wet signal (not reamped)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xe8d…0xlr%20input%201.mp3?dl=0

which is pretty good I like it but then...

2. Reamped with Dist sense at 0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kx3c…ck%20unblalanced.mp3?dl=0

which is very weak it sucks

3. Reamped with Dist sense at 7
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/syc5…ck%20unblalanced.mp3?dl=0

mediocre result

4. Reamped with Dist sense at 10
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9m1c…ack%20unbalanced.mp3?dl=0

which is pretty close but I would say less alive.

Am I doing sth wrong? Why do I have to crank up the dist sense to get a decent result?

Thank you for your answers

• silkof, I have all my Clean and Dist Sens at 0.0. Kemper does have a Reamp Sens that you could try. Also use TS connections from Kemper Outputs to Interface Ins when using guitar so Interface does not automatically engage mic preamps or pads. However, I believe the previous OS update lowered the output of the SPDIF signal and was fixed in the lastest update. Make sure you have the most lastest OS update even if it is Beta version.

That's my best guess. Note that I still have not personally reamped with a SPDIF Interface yet. I'm still using my Motu M4 but have their new SPDIF Interface on my wishlist.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• if the DI signal that is being sent back to the Profiler has a lower level than the original guitar signal the resulting sound will have less gain.

The correct parameter to compensate for that is the reamp sens parameter.

Make sure that your DAW or audio interface is not attenuating the signal on its way back into the Profiler.

• if the DI signal that is being sent back to the Profiler has a lower level than the original guitar signal the resulting sound will have less gain.

The correct parameter to compensate for that is the reamp sens parameter.

Make sure that your DAW or audio interface is not attenuating the signal on its way back into the Profiler.

My guitar's input gain makes the kemper go to yellow at times. Having the AI pream at a point where my input signal slightly going to yellow make the reamping sound similar. So I guess this was the trick. Thank you man

• ID22 does not have SPDIF, but there is an optical output! You need a converter when connecting the kemper to id22. Optical out from ID22-->converter-->Kemper spdif