Buying an Atomic CLR

• Hey all!

Thanks to discussions on these forums I've decided to get an Atomic CLR wedge.

Just a quick question: how do you go about buying one these days? Do you still have to wait for the reserve list? Or do you just go ahead an purchase from http://shop.atomicamps.com/product_p/aclr-aw-n.htm ?

I've emailed [email protected] and filled out the form link at the bottom of atomicamps.com - but haven't received any emails back after a few days.

Also, what are the chances that there will be a hardware revision to these? If it's a poor time to purchase, I don't mind waiting. thanks!

• The procedure you followed seems correct. And Tom King happens to disappear at times, buried under tons of work, projects, initiatives and customer care :D

AFAIK there's no waiting list.

If you buy from Europe the cab(s) will come from Ireland at practically no cost (20 € to Italy) :)

As for your last question, the early adopters have actually created a list of requests for a Mark II. But if you ask me, it seems the guys are too busy with other things ATM. The only option you'd have today (apart from choosing between a passive and an active version and wedge/cab) would be the neodymium transducers, that are sadly not currently available in EU.
    To not mention that rumours are Mr. Mitchell is working on an active monitor... I believe this would push a Mark II way back (... or forward?! :D)

• Ok - thanks. I'll wait to hear back from the email I suppose.

To not mention that rumours are Mr. Mitchell is working on an active monitor... I believe this would push a Mark II way back (... or forward?! :D)

Is the current CLR called the Mark I? Or is this something else? thanks!

• Quote from viabcroce

As for your last question, the early adopters have actually created a list of requests for a Mark II.

Really? That comes as news to me, and I've been rumored to have some knowledge of the CLR. I'd be interested in a link to a "list of requests" from "early adopters," as I have never encountered such a thing.

• Quote from paults

If it is any consolation, there are lists like that for just about every product, all over the internet ;)

First, no "consolation" is needed. I was expressing surprise, not dismay.

Second, if what you say is correct, then posting a link to such a list should pose no challenge. A Google search turns up nothing, and I have encountered no such list in regular visits to a number of equipment-oriented internet forums. If one really is out there, I'd be extremely interested in seeing it.....

• Really? That comes as news to me, and I've been rumored to have some knowledge of the CLR. I'd be interested in a link to a "list of requests" from "early adopters," as I have never encountered such a thing.

I did not write that the list has been sent to you, nor that someone has made it public.
    I joined some opinions posted by users on TGP, and by personally talking and exchanging emails with Tom I had the opportunity to add my thoughts on the matter, since I received the CLRs for evaluating them and reporting my opinions.
    So Tom has got a list, compiled by me, that takes into account what I read, what I got from others' experience and what I experienced with the product myself.
    It was a commitment of mine to generate such feedback.

• Are you from europe?
    If so - just order one from here and you're good: http://eushop.atomicamps.com/Products_s/1817.htm

That's good advice.
    When I first put myself to the waiting list (way back when) my mail didn't get through at first.
    Also feel free to repeat your request to Tom King directly.

• I did not write that the list has been sent to you, nor that someone has made it public.

Your post stated that "the early adopters" had created a list of requests for changes to the CLR. Seeing as how I had personally communicated with numerous CLR users for more than a year before you received a CLR and had never seen such a list from any of them, you would presumably understand my surprise at your claim.

I joined some opinions posted by users on TGP, and by personally talking and exchanging emails with Tom I had the opportunity to add my thoughts on the matter, since I received the CLRs for evaluating them and reporting my opinions.

Two items of note:

1. You created the list to which you refer from publicly-stated opinions that both Tom and I had already seen, since we both monitor the forums.

2. The CLR had been out for more than a year before you received yours. The phrase "early adopter" would therefore appear to be be something of an exaggeration.

So Tom has got a list, compiled by me,

That is what you should have stated at the beginning.

I will attempt to clear up the waters which have now been so thoroughly muddied. Please read carefully.

The CLR's design format is thirty years old. It does not represent "new technology," but rather is a manifestation of optimal use of physical principles that will not become outdated. My company manufactures loudspeakers of the same format that have remained in continuous production for that entire time, and those products continue to set standards for performance. In case it has not yet become evident, no "Mk II" version of the CLR is being planned, nor will one ever be. There have been and will continue to be - as with any viable product - minor running production changes, but the basis of the design is fixed. No future version will render the present one "obsolete." Your speculation that our being "busy" is somehow responsible for a "delay" in introducing a new version of the product is incorrect.

• I prefer and recommend the tech 21 power engine 60 instead

Not to float your boat, but what does it have to to with this thread?
    Also, of course you're entitled to prefer the PE 60, but not for the reason of being a neutral sounding FRFR speaker which the OP is obviously looking for.
    You simply seem to like the Celetion 70/80 which the PE 60 is equipped with.
    But with the PE 60 you can never experience the differences of well captured profiles.

For the record, I have nothing against the PE60, I have owned one in the past and it is great for what it does.

• The CLR's design format is thirty years old. It does not represent "new technology," but rather is a manifestation of optimal use of physical principles that will not become outdated. My company manufactures loudspeakers of the same format that have remained in continuous production for that entire time, and those products continue to set standards for performance. In case it has not yet become evident, no "Mk II" version of the CLR is being planned, nor will one ever be. There have been and will continue to be - as with any viable product - minor running production changes, but the basis of the design is fixed. No future version will render the present one "obsolete." Your speculation that our being "busy" is somehow responsible for a "delay" in introducing a new version of the product is incorrect.

This is great to know and will contribute to the confidence of more unconfident users who will always be in fear of 'something better coming along the way'. ;)

• Not to float your boat, but what does it have to to with this thread?
    Also, of course you're entitled to prefer the PE 60, but not for the reason of being a neutral sounding FRFR speaker which the OP is obviously looking for.
    You simply seem to like the Celetion 70/80 which the PE 60 is equipped with.
    But with the PE 60 you can never experience the differences of well captured profiles.

For the record, I have nothing against the PE60, I have owned one in the past and it is great for what it does.

what do you mean exactly? It's VERY close (to being neutral n uncolored) if not preferable to FRFR and I suggested it for the reason I'm similarity but with cheaper price.

• what do you mean exactly? It's VERY close (to being neutral n uncolored) if not preferable to FRFR and I suggested it for the reason I'm similarity but with cheaper price.

Chris, if you think the PE60 is very close to neutral and uncolouring you're totally wrong. It is not even remotely close. :)
    And it's not even remotely similar to the CLR.
    Only with the cheaper price you're correct.

• @ Jay: sorry if I misled some potential buyers!

As for you being busy, I made no speculation: I wrote that rumours are that you might be working on something new, because I read them somewhere. Just to clarify, the sentence if you ask me, it seems the guys are too busy with other things does not imply that a a CLR Mark II's release would be delayed because you're working on something else, but rather that IMO you were not thinking about a Mark II.
    To clarify, I never stated - and I don't think - that AA is working on a CLR Mark II at all :)
    The requests and suggestions from me and other users have nothing to do with how the CLR produces its sound or what results it accomplishes. But a design concept is different than the implementation of a product, which implies tens of further aspects (no need for me to list them again), some of which might indeed be considered "minor production elements" but can make a difference in usability nevertheless.

As for the list, it seem to me you're splitting hair here: the contents of the list are not mine, so I can't state that I created it. OTOH, part of the observations I reported were from early adopters, so - while English is not my mother tongue - I don't think I phrased it mistakenly. And, most of all, I don't think it makes much of a difference, unless you want to enforce the idea that adopters' wishes are negligible.
    As for me, I've no interest in being considered an early adopter.

Let me also say that I found your "waters which have now been so thoroughly muddied" quite funny. On forums, people express opinions, chat, speculate... Users don't have to carefully weight what they write in order to not generate confusion: that's the manufacturer's task.
    I've read so many bs about the Profiler in the last few years that I could write a book on the subject. Furthermore, I've practically never read a thread about anything which did not contain arbitrary ideas, hopes, impressions, opinions. This is the nature of the place, and if you want to be part of it better to get accustomed to this ;)
    OTOH, your participation to debates to clarify things is of course always welcome. Too bad you don't know how to deal with people... but I find your posts' contents often very interesting.