Buying an Atomic CLR

• As for you being busy, I made no speculation: I wrote that rumours are that you might be working on something new,

That is the definition of the word "speculation." Adding a disclaimer such as "some people say," "I read somewhere," or "rumours are" does not alter the fact that you are engaging in blind, useless speculation.

The requests and suggestions from me and other users have nothing to do with how the CLR produces its sound or what results it accomplishes.

Where exactly are are those "requests and suggestions?"

which implies tens of further aspects (no need for me to list them again),

Again? You have yet to list them once.

OTOH, part of the observations I reported were from early adopters, so - while English is not my mother tongue - I don't think I phrased it mistakenly.

You did. Here's what you said: " the early adopters have actually created a list of requests for a Mark II." The truth is that you created a list - which you never published - from postings you selected on various forums. There is no evidence that any items on such a list came from "the early adopters" - you are not among them - nor that any of the items represent legitimate, practical requests. Even if you were to now decide to post the requests, there is still the fact that it was you who decided what was worthy of attention and, conversely, what was not worthy of attention. A collection of "requests" selected by one individual does not constitute a consensus.

And, most of all, I don't think it makes much of a difference, unless you want to enforce the idea that adopters' wishes are negligible.

Incorrect again. What is "negligible" is your interpretation and filtering of the ideas of others that you have copied and pasted from internet forums, especially since you haven't even bothered to offer any of them here.

I've read so many bs about the Profiler in the last few years that I could write a book on the subject.

Let me make sure I understand you. Are you using that statement as justification for propagating bs about another product?

Too bad you don't know how to deal with people..

I know exactly "how to deal with people." If you don't always find the result to your liking, there is one surefire way to change that: refrain from speculation about subjects on which you have no information.

• Sorry guys, this thing is getting too long to manage in the editor... I tried to use a different colour in order to make things readable. disregard nesting, and just follow the blue :D

Disclaimer: long and tedious post follows, feel free to skip it :)

Oh, I was referring to your good manners, not to your strategies :)
    What makes you a lucky person IMO is that you don't earn your day by personally having to do with customers :D
    But let me make sure I understand you: are you using that above statement to menace you'll try and treat me bad again on forums if I ever again write things like "they say that" or "I sent a list of observations about the product to Tom"?
    LOL

• ... Chris, if you think the PE60 is very close to neutral and uncolouring you're totally wrong. It is not even remotely close. :)
    And it's not even remotely similar to the CLR.
    Only with the cheaper price you're correct.

I totally agree, and I've also owned a PE60. The CLR is by far the superior product. The only thing that the PE60 has over the CLR is that the PE60 is lighter (although it may not be lighter, or lighter by very much, than the Neo CLR).

• Ask tech21 yourself bro, plus your opinions your opinion , I could say your wrong that they're unrelated, and be right too, just like that.

Seriously i I got this from tech21 so I'll trust an amp company when it comes to amp buying (and my point ,not that I need to justify my 2 cents interjection, was suggesting a similar cheaper option as a helpful tip)

• what do you mean exactly? It's VERY close (to being neutral n uncolored) if not preferable to FRFR and I suggested it for the reason I'm similarity but with cheaper price.

Ask tech21 yourself bro, plus your opinions your opinion , I could say your wrong that they're unrelated, and be right too, just like that.
    Seriously i I got this from tech21 so I'll trust an amp company when it comes to amp buying (and my point ,not that I need to justify my 2 cents interjection, was suggesting a similar cheaper option as a helpful tip)

There must be some mistake in information from them to you.
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/produ…engine/powerengine60.html
    It's a well known fact that the very common and popular Celestion seventy 80 speaker is a guitar speaker.
    Product link http://celestion.com/product/22/seventy_80/
    It has a frequency range of only 80-5000 Hz just like other guitar speakers. Its freq curve is not very linear and it will color the tone, that's what guitar speakers are supposed to do.
    A speaker monitor or PA for full music reproduction will cover all frequencies for music that we hear. Often with specs around 50-20000 Hz.
    The TS want an FRFR monitor and the Atomic CLR is that. The seventy 80 guitarspeaker is very far from being a FRFR speaker because it's a guitar speaker. They are very different. I prefer to have both options available, sometimes playing through frfr monitors and sometimes through a guitar cab with power amp.
    Sorry for OT.

• I'm a former Tech 21 PE60 owner here. I've been able to A/B the speaker to my monitors, because of the EQ controls. Of course, that's A/B it to my monitors in my room, so I might have to change the settings if I play out (I won't have to because I sold it).

Nevertheless, I'd still say they were decent "FRFR" speakers that did their job well. Forget the tech specs, it works as advertised - a speaker capable of reproducing digital processor tones well. They're reasonably flat and the open back design has a nice way of treating bass frequencies. As I mentioned, this is just my experience and I urge you to believe my claim that I was able to A/B it 95% of the way to my Dynaudio monitors to be imperceptible to most audiences.

It's never going to compete with the CLR, because there's a $700 difference. But to completely discount it as a meritorious speaker doesn't make sense. They work great imho. Not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but at the $300 price point, I don't think there's anything even remotely as good.

I don't think we should go after Chrislisting for voicing his opinion any more than I think Jay_Mitchell should go after viabcroce for something as innocent as his original statement. Where in the hell is this thread going anyway?

• I think nobody went after Chris and I hope he doesn't perceive it this way.
    But recommending a PE60 as comparable in a thread where the OP is already determined to buy a CLR and is obviously after a high quality FRFR is quite misleading actually.

I agree, that's probably fact. I say probably because I don't own a CLR, but I consider it fact just on account of the raft of opinion praising the product on these forums and others, which convinces me that it is a top-notch product and best-in-class.

But with *everything else* that's going on in the thread, I was a bit taken aback with the negative tone and the flood of comments about Chrislisting's post, I was just keen to look at things from his perspective -- he's recommending a very competent product at a different price point and I don't see anything wrong to the extent we write several posts telling him "you're wrong" and invalidating his recommendation. Maybe he's young, maybe he's old. Not such a bad recommendation, but I agree, not in the same ballpark, Chris! :D

By "everything else", you as a fellow forum trawler should know what I'm talking about on this thread ^^

And just to be crystal clear on that aspect, I didn't find the idea of pinioning viabcroce and battering him across the face repeatedly very appealing. Oh heck, who am I kidding, I love the idea! But let it be me! Let it be me! ^^

• I understand how Chris interjection was meant, but from my experience threads remain more productive/polite, if you stick to the topic or keep answering the question that was asked.

I also agree that specs aren't everything, but completely disregarding them (forget the specs), makes everything 100% subjective and impossible to compare at all.
    Everybody is always entitled to his own subjective view, perception whatever, but when we communicate and start to compare pieces of gear, we cannot just disregard facts that do not support our opinion - unless it is a political debate of course! ;)

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I hope it is indeed clear I was trying to put out a cheap alternative to the CLR because I wish I was told when I was looking into modelers and amplification

I know what you mean if the op is set on something though, but I wasnt trying to
    dissuade anyone,

but id like to add, FRFR for a guitar isn't necessary as its a mid range frequency instrument u know? I'm all for it but purists and audiophiles should be aware that FRFR range exceeds the instruments , but still, for all intents and purposes I support kemper + FRFR

( ps and thanks for the point support on that "pe60 as a alternate cheaper FRFR" nightlight, for a second I thought I was the only pe 60 fan here lol)

• I agree that preferences are preferences, of course! But it would be misleading to state that a cab with a single 12" cone is FRFR (it can't be), because some inexperienced user might follow that path looking for an FRFR cab.
    You'll also easily see how "guitars don't need FRFR" is a completely different pair of shoes :D

PS: guitars might not need FRFR, but modellers do IMO :)
    "FRFR" doesn't only mean "FR", but "FR" as well, so you see my point... :D

• Fair enough, but guys, let's not derail with more justifications , points were made all around, I think we all agree there are points that make sense and preference plays apart, I also had no desire to be "misleading " so I will bow out respectfully here ;)

• Just for some context, I'm planning to use the Atomic CLR with the Kemper most of the time, but what sold me is how versatile it is. I don't have much room for my music stuff these days, so being able to also use it for keyboards, PA in a pinch, studio monitor etc is fantastic!

Anyway, I didn't hear back on any emails, so I ordered directly off the US store link. I'll post back here if that was the right thing to do ; )

• Been thinking about getting a CLR myself. As to the poster representing the maker of the product, I'm really.....actually appalled. This isn't the only thread or forum where Ive seen him put a beat down on a poster,...contributor...product reviewer..... Customer!
    There is no doubt that he knows his business. He contributes information I find fascinating, but does so with a know it all attitude without a bit of tact. These are customers and potential customers (me) hes scolding someone in front of.
    The customer is always right... Period! Please share your point of view with at least some appearance that you care for your customer. You care way to much about being right!

• One more note of clarification is apparently in order: I do not represent Atomic Amplifiers. I am neither an employee of nor agent for that company. I own my own company, and I have my own customers, most of whom have been purchasing my products for decades.

I designed the CLR as an outside consultant to Atomic, and I continue to provide support for QC and continuing development work on the product. I am therefore in a position to provide definitive information about its design, performance, and optimal use. I also communicate with Tom King on a regular basis, and he passes along to me customer requests, questions, and observations that he considers important.

FYI, I am reachable privately by anyone who has questions.