Buying an Atomic CLR

• Hey man matrix is great from all my reading but every single person especially reviews from articles all give either a slight or definite win for clr

plus every kemper user here,who are the most knowledgable persons I've known re: modelers and sound, say it's clr

finally after hearing from jay and talking to Tom I wouldn't give any other company my money

• There are some users that don't want to listen to a really linear cab, and prefer some character that puts their sound closer to their representation of a (big) guitar cab.
    Furthermore, even tho this is not related to the sonic performance, many want a cab that looks (more) like a guitar cab.

:)

• There are some users that don't want to listen to a really linear cab, and prefer some character that puts their sound closer to their representation of a (big) guitar cab.
    Furthermore, even tho this is not related to the sonic performance, many want a cab that looks (more) like a guitar cab.

:)

Yeah, my drummer was pretty sceptical (and still is I guess) of my CLR because it didn't look like a traditional 4x12. Trueheads pff* ;)

gear>kemper rack-atomicCLR-fcb1010-espViper400-gretschJet-Firebird-7

• Hey man matrix is great from all my reading but every single person especially reviews from articles all give either a slight or definite win for clr

plus every kemper user here,who are the most knowledgable persons I've known re: modelers and sound, say it's clr

finally after hearing from jay and talking to Tom I wouldn't give any other company my money

That's simply not true, Ingo and myself made a little comparison (CLR/Matrix Q12a/Camper 112CX) and actually all 3 cabs sounded great, CLR and Q12a had a very similar tone. The CLR is not the "Holy Grail", it's a very great FRFR-cab amongst others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• @ Lamballio

yes the 2x12 looks like a real guitar cab (and has 1.000 Watts!!) I think its the best looking cab and the most "traditional" looking.
    But thats just the look - from what I read / heard also the sound should be similar to 2 x Q12a´s but with a little bit more low end.

Anyways - buying one 2x12 creates another problem - I would not carry this thing every week to our rehearsal room - if I leave it in the room I still want something to play at home and not feeling to use small studio monitors every time. Then I would need something like the DXR 10 or the Q12a as an addition + I would need a Matrix GT 1000 to power the 2x12.... doh.... My wife will kill me spending all the money

I know about that wife stuff, believe me! ;)

I mean to take the cab everywhere. Am bringing my Marshall VS100 combo to rehearsels every week now too and using it at home, so it's not a problem for me.
    Yesterday I played around with KRK Rokit 5 speakers that I borrowed from my colleague, and dove deeper into the rig settings. I'm sure I can make those FR212's sound good, so just gonna order them. If it's not to my liking I'll send them back and go for the CLR. I know....I'm stubborn, and sometimes don't listen to people's advice! :D

• That's simply not true, Ingo and myself made a little comparison (CLR/Matrix Q12a/Camper 112CX) and actually all 3 cabs sounded great, CLR and Q12a had a very similar tone. The CLR is not the "Holy Grail", it's a very great FRFR-cab amongst others.

Another good post for me that makes me decide to go my own way. :)

• Actually I thought the CLR was a steal for 999 USD / 1,25 = 799 EUR.

Received a mail from atomic today that they have the CLR in stock so I decided to order.

The information on their EU website was a bit misleading as it is 999 USD without VAT so its actually 1.200 USD
    so I decided to order the Matrix Q12a from the German distributor (so can order in Germany with all guarantee / returning options).

Will receive the Matrix on Friday. As I will also buy a second mic (ribbon mic which can be used for recording cabs) I will try to do a good recording in combination with my sm57 (mix of direct sm57 and distance ribbon mic to catch a bit of the "room sound").

Maybe I do a short review / experience report how this thing will work in a rehearsal situation.

Cheers

• I returned my DXR12 today. Planning on trying the CLR, but i have emailed them twice and not gotten a response yet.

Just curious to hear from anyone that has already purchased one. If they are having this much of an issue responding to people that are curious about their product,
    or trying to purchase one. How is their support?

• Tom Kings is a great person. He can call you overseas when you are available to help you solve an issue with your product.

Do not think for a moment that if they do not answer your emails they're not interested in your inquiry! :)

• I returned my DXR12 today. Planning on trying the CLR, but i have emailed them twice and not gotten a response yet.

Just curious to hear from anyone that has already purchased one. If they are having this much of an issue responding to people that are curious about their product,
    or trying to purchase one. How is their support?

Tom King may seem unresponsive from time to time (by mail) but bear in mind he's basically a one man show. So with all the oddities live can present you sometimes I have to conclude he's doing an outstanding job in supporting his product.
    Also I have never heard a bad thing about their support.
    I'd recommend to mail him again (and again if necessary).

• Sorry bro, I don't buy second best, that's why I got the kemper and ditched axe,

and more importantly : I already said very clearly and plainly that it would seem the matrix is on par with Clr in every respect, but at the same time it's quite true that atomic has garnered the meta critical edge man... It is what it is and that's why the decision was clear when Tom spoke with me (great dude)

with that said, tomorrow or Friday I'll be offering what I hope to be as unbiased and objective review as I can make,of my new
    Atomic CLR Neodyium Powered Wedge

• Well, there's no need to own "the absolute best" (whatever it means), what matters most IMO is that you (and your audience) are happy with what you sound like.
    There are many different ways to achieve a great sound\ touch people.
    Many uses are happy with the Axe and make great music, I don't think they feel they made a "second best" choice :)

• Fair enough bro, I agree, that's what made me restate it explicitly (again. 5th time this thread, I'm not as stubborn /aggressive as I sound, quite the opposite actually I'm open minded)

("on par in every respect" = "as good")*
    *maybe lol

• Tom Kings is a great person. He can call you overseas when you are available to help you solve an issue with your product.

Do not think for a moment that if they do not answer your emails they're not interested in your inquiry! :)

+1 that was the remaining factor

not only did the atomic score higher but my very swift communication with Tom and his excellent offer caused me to not think twice

Can't go wrong with atomic at all

• Yep. Non wedge is boxy looking haha!

LoL.....exactly!

Saving the pennies as we speak so hopefully in the new year I'll be able to be put on the list for ordering. I don't have a huge need for it now as there are decent RCX and a couple of EV monitors at several of my different gigs. I tried one of the Line6 units last week and it sounded very nice. Hoping someone has a Yamaha DSR112 that I can borrow at some point. The in ears things was pretty neat. Tried it for the first time the other night.

• LoL.....exactly!

Saving the pennies as we speak so hopefully in the new year I'll be able to be put on the list for ordering. I don't have a huge need for it now as there are decent RCX and a couple of EV monitors at several of my different gigs. I tried one of the Line6 units last week and it sounded very nice. Hoping someone has a Yamaha DSR112 that I can borrow at some point. The in ears things was pretty neat. Tried it for the first time the other night.

Definitely looking forward to your opinions on all of them.

Very happy with the DSR but by nature I am always looking for something better IF it exists. Better for me that is.

• No answer from Tom, yet.

Maybe I'm going to send another request to him today.

Matteo

"Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now."

Edited once, last by matbard ().