Buying an Atomic CLR

• No, not quite. Of course you can use an active CLR with your powerrack, OTOH you could easily use a passive CLR (if you want to save money).

Thank you. So if there's no need for an active CLR, do you know there is any advantages with going with a passive CLR over a regular speaker cab?

I guess what I mean is the sound any better than a good speaker cab with top of the line speakers?

• Heat fins, no fan. And quiet as a church mouse noise wise.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Well, the CLR is a (very) good speaker cab with top of the line speakers.

:)

Thank you. I sure hope so. I plan to buy the wedge CLR. I'll be selling my Mark V to do this so I want to make sure and there is nowhere around my house that carries them. I'm just to attached to the Kemper and the Mark V never get's played. Hardly used so.....:)

• Is it possible to use the kemper with an active clr even if I own the powerack?

Meaning can I bypass the power out connection and connect it the way a the other kempers connect to them?

Because if I use a passive cab I think I would need to turn off the cab sim, but I like the sound of the cab's I'm using and I think using an active cab like an Atomic CLR would allow me to use the cab sim right?

• You don't need to switch Cab off with a passive cab, but only with a cab which sonically responds like a guitar cab, regardless if it's active or not.
    The CLR is a linear cab, so it requires the cab profile whether you are using its active or passive version.

And yes, you can use Monitor out in order to feed an active cab, hence skipping the Kemper's power amp.

PS: an active cab is nothing but a(ny) cab with an internal power amp. HTH

• you rock man. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this stuff to me. They just have nothing at the guitar center like the Atomic CLR to try out. You ask anyone that works there about them and they look at you like you're crazy lol.

Thank you.

Ron

• You're welcome Ron, glad to be of help :)

There are many other "PA-like", "monitor-like", "linear" cabs out there. You might want to ask for some of them, even just showing this post to the crew if there seems to be a communication issue.
    It's true tho that very few sound like the CLR IMO :) In order to balance this factor, you might ask them to let you try an active, linear cab around 2,000-3,000 grands. That should make the trick.

• PS: an active cab is nothing but a(ny) cab with an internal power amp. HTH

I'll make one correction. There is a difference between a powered speaker with one channel of amplification and a passive crossover and one with two channels of amplification and an active crossover at line level. The distinction is important for several reasons. I would call the former a powered speaker and the latter an active speaker. The CLR has two channels of amplification and an active crossover.

• I received my Passive CLR today and I'm more than blown away. I haven't had to tweak any of the profiles I've used so far(well a couple of the heavier rigs..I upped the presence). From heavy grind to crystal cleans this thing is awesome. I'm looking at my Mark V right now and all I see is a for sale sign on it. I never thought that would happen. I have the KPA power rack, the rigs and now the speaker to get any tone I desire. Awesome Cab. I highly recommend getting one of these if you have a power rack. So loud.....and clear.

Thanks for the help in the thread about the CLR's. It's a game changer.

• I've recently posted on TGP along your same line, arriving at the same conclusions: I've got everything I need for making music for the rest of my life. I've just got the active CLR.

Yea its amazing bro. From some of the comments I really didn't know what to expect so my experince so far has been wowsome with it. It's sounds like what you hear through headphones but through a cab. My only disappointment was they didn't give me any Atomic stickers. =/

• I've recently posted on TGP along your same line, arriving at the same conclusions: I've got everything I need for making music for the rest of my life. I've just got the active CLR.

Yea untill it breaks and you need service from Atomic. Then you will have to go acoustic for a long long time...

• I received my Passive CLR today and I'm more than blown away. I haven't had to tweak any of the profiles I've used so far(well a couple of the heavier rigs..I upped the presence). From heavy grind to crystal cleans this thing is awesome. I'm looking at my Mark V right now and all I see is a for sale sign on it. I never thought that would happen. I have the KPA power rack, the rigs and now the speaker to get any tone I desire. Awesome Cab. I highly recommend getting one of these if you have a power rack. So loud.....and clear.

Thanks for the help in the thread about the CLR's. It's a game changer.

Great to hear your digging your new CLR!!!

• Yea untill it breaks and you need service from Atomic. Then you will have to go acoustic for a long long time...

Actually I have a problem with one of my cabs, and Tom has called me by phone overseas at my office time (6-hour gap) offering to send me a replacement part. I've never experienced such an attitude from any other brand.

As for the rest, shit may happen. I greatly prefer a great attitude towards customers' needs with some "growth issues" to some others' absence.
    I am confident that AA's issues are just related to the need for the brand to reposition themselves in respect to their ever-growing market share. 100% sure Tom wants his business to work, and is not saving energies and attitude.
    I believe such people should be encouraged, not bashed.