Connecting Kemper to active monitors

• 'Tis indeed! I knew I'd end up getting another one at some point, may as well do it in one shot. Now I need to get the tape measure out so I can ensure a perfect isosceles triangle between my head and the two monitors.

• Here's a question: what are the pros/cons of using near-field studio monitors vs. an FRFR cab like this:

http://www.atomicamps.com/products.htm

Would the Atomic cab be overkill for a home/apartment listening environment?

EDIT: Ah, yeah, on further reading I think it would blast the paint off my walls. I think I'll stick to monitors and not get carried away here.

Edited once, last by PB26 ().

• Jay Mitchell loves to say that studio monitors are just cabs unable to sound loud :D

As for me, I've got two CLRs I use at home (for listening to music as well) and in studio and carry one with me when I need for performing.

You should not focus on the cab's loudness IMO, but on the sound's quality. If a linear cab sound better I'd go for it, regardless its maximum loudness.
    The CLR sounds great at low volume, FWIW :)

• Sound quality is definitely my top priority -- I want the exact tone of the KPA profiles coming out of the speaker, so monitors for now, but a CLR is definitely in my future. When I can finally move into a house that will be my housewarming gift to myself!

• hi.

you asked some good questions and got some good advice.
    I'd just like to add that buying monitors shouldn't be rushed. ;)

Take a look at the range and try to listen / play through as many as possible.
    A good monitor is a crucial piece of equipment and ultimately a kind of 'bottleneck'.
    Besides the Yamahas, other obvious brands to check out are Genelec, Adam, Focal... etc.

I'm a strong believer in the axiom that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, you already made a great decision with the Profiler - a equally strong monitoring solution would be fitting.

hth
    and keep asking questions :)

• Well, Yamaha MSP7s are backordered until January according to the Canadian dealers I spoke with, so now I have a perfect excuse to reconsider non-near-field monitor options:

Apart from the Atomic CLR, can someone please recommend some other FRFR speaker(s) under $1000? I just watched Ingolf's YouTube comparison of the CLR vs. the Yamaha DXR10 and it was a bloodbath! CLR wins by a mile!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I will also be trying a bunch of near-fields per Don's advice. Honestly, I am so over-protective of my Kemper that to this point I have been absolutely unwilling to take it out of my apartment!

• I just watched Ingolf's YouTube comparison of the CLR vs. the Yamaha DXR10 and it was a bloodbath! CLR wins by a mile!

Ha :D
    I don't think such videos can work, I mean in general :)
    It's over me how a loudspeaker can be judged via a recording performed through a mic, compressed through a codec and played back through other (typically cheaper) loudspeakers in a different room.

It's not only a sound signature imposed by the mic and by the listening system and room, it's that at least a dozen parameters are affected... just those parameters by which the choice would be made.

It doesn't even work A/B testing, and for a long list of reasons.

And people complain about a mic'ed amp not sounding like an amp... :D

• Apart from the Atomic CLR, can someone please recommend some other FRFR speaker(s) under $1000? I just watched Ingolf's YouTube comparison of the CLR vs. the Yamaha DXR10 and it was a bloodbath! CLR wins by a mile!

Well, it's not a bloodbath and if you think so you totally got me wrong.
    I tried to do a comparison as differentiated aspossible.
    My conclusion was, and still is (backed by continuous experience with both cabs) that the CLR wins for clarity and 'neutral-ness'.
    Still, and I still stand by it, the DXR 10 is a great cab with a lot to offer, and I prefer it over the CLR for its smaller footprint on a lot of stages most of the time.
    The best speaker recommendation in the price league BELOW the CLR is the DXR 10.

• Well, it's not a bloodbath and if you think so you totally got me wrong.
    I tried to do a comparison as differentiated aspossible.
    My conclusion was, and still is (backed by continuous experience with both cabs) that the CLR wins for clarity and 'neutral-ness'.
    Still, and I still stand by it, the DXR 10 is a great cab with a lot to offer, and I prefer it over the CLR for its smaller footprint on a lot of stages most of the time.
    The best speaker recommendation in the price league BELOW the CLR is the DXR 10.

Yes, I was thinking solely on the criterion of neutralness -- the CLR appeared the clear winner in that respect.

• I just sent Atomic an email about the active CLR cab and 10 minutes later I got a response! You don't see that every day. That is a huge bonus to know they are responsive to customers.

I'm on the list for a cab. Thank you all again for all the suggestions and advice! This forum is a tremendous resource!

:thumbup:

• I just sent Atomic an email about the active CLR cab and 10 minutes later I got a response! You don't see that every day. That is a huge bonus to know they are responsive to customers.

I'm on the list for a cab. Thank you all again for all the suggestions and advice! This forum is a tremendous resource!

:thumbup:

That's cool that you are getting one now. Great choice!