Connecting Kemper to active monitors

• Hello, total newbie here when it comes to sound equipment, so please bear with me.

I use a Kemper for home use only (recreational, non-gigging guitarist here), and right now I'm using headphones, but I want to get it through a speaker.

I have the non-powered version of the KPA so based on what I've read, I think I need a studio monitor with built-in power amp to get some nice sound that preserves the profiles' amp-cab tones.

First question -- is this correct?

Second question: do I have to have 2 of them (left/right), or can I just stick with one?

I'm looking at the Yamaha MSP7:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MSP7stu

Thanks!

• You're correct, what you want is a powered monitor. You don't necessarily need two of them (if you switch the output to master mono), but for stereo goodness I'd recommend using two.
    I use the Yamaha HS-8, a pair of them.

• Sorry, I forgot to ask if it matters whether I use a 1/4" jack or XLR -- is there any sound advantage to one or the other?

And if I go XLR, is it pretty much indifferent if I use the left or right port?

Thanks again and my apologies for the embarrassingly amateurish questions!

• The XLR signal is 3 dB stronger, and an XLR line will protect the signal from any external EM interference.
    Since you might have no disturbs in your room, and since the longer the cable the stronger the interference, you might experience no issues with a 1/4" cable as well :)

If you set the main out to mono, either side of the pair will work well.

Stereo configuration is a lust, but not strictly needed :)

• The XLR signal is 3 dB stronger, and an XLR line will protect the signal from any external EM interference.
    Since you might have no disturbs in your room, and since the longer the cable the stronger the interference, you might experience no issues with a 1/4" cable as well :)

If you set the main out to mono, either side of the pair will work well.

Stereo configuration is a lust, but not strictly needed :)

That's really helpful, thanks so much again. I should be good to go once my monitor comes in!

The Kemper is easily the best investment I've made in a long time, but for someone who comes in with no prior audio technical knowledge, it's been a steep learning curve for sure. I appreciate all the help!

• That's really helpful, thanks so much again. I should be good to go once my monitor comes in!

:thumbup:

The Kemper is easily the best investment I've made in a long time, but for someone who comes in with no prior audio technical knowledge, it's been a steep learning curve for sure. I appreciate all the help!

I feel you, but OTOH apart from some proprietary tricks, it uses general concepts that will be easily reused in any audio situation :)
    Everything is quite easy and plan if compared to other units I've used, I'd really say that the Profiler has got two souls: one amp-like, with the same easiness of use, ant the other more esoteric, for those who want to do deeper things.
    No void in between, but a progression where anyone can set their home :)

• :thumbup:

I feel you, but OTOH apart from some proprietary tricks, it uses general concepts that will be easily reused in any audio situation :)
    Everything is quite easy and plan if compared to other units I've used, I'd really say that the Profiler has got two souls: one amp-like, with the same easiness of use, ant the other more esoteric, for those who want to do deeper things.
    No void in between, but a progression where anyone can set their home :)

I agree there are two levels with the Kemper. Out of the box I got going really quickly. But there is an astonishing amount of capability packed into it that I know I won't ever understand fully, not being a professional. And that's one of the great things about it -- experts and non-experts alike can get everything from it that they need. But over time I will try to learn as much as I can, bit by bit.

On the topic of monitors, I wonder if having two of them for a stereo set-up would be redundant in my case. The only thing I'm pumping out of the speaker is my own guitar sound in a fairly small apartment, so is it worthwhile to go stereo? I always thought stereo was to improve the listening experience when more than one instrument was involved.

• Stereo can make sounds like reverb and delay sound much bigger,.

It is not necessary at all, but it does sound very good.

Understood, thanks. I think I'll start with one and then add another later on. I have a feeling I'm going to be blown away by this set up. The Kemper sounds like CD quality when I'm playing through headphones; it should be awesome blasting through a speaker.

• Understood, thanks. I think I'll start with one and then add another later on. I have a feeling I'm going to be blown away by this set up. The Kemper sounds like CD quality when I'm playing through headphones; it should be awesome blasting through a speaker.

nothing wrong with that, but when playing along to some music a pair will be the more useful.

• Yep. You'll also be able to connect some music source to the Profiler and play along through your cabs.
    Also, try the Space function in stereo :D

PS: I'd suggest you to go to a store and connect the unit to the best PA they have, just to have a feeling of it ;D