Using one expression pedal for both Wah and Volume ?

• Hi,

I want to use my Boss FV500-H expression pedal , connected to pedal1 input, to control :

- Wah when wah in stomp D is ON
    - Volume when stomp D is OFF (volume location post effects)

I tried without any success ( ?( ) the following settings :

In System menu
    page 4 : Pedal 1 (type 2) : Volume (or Wah ?)
    page 6 : checked WahPedal to Vol.

In Slot D, a Wah stomp with Pedal Mode : Bypass @ stop

Anybody willing to help me to find the good settings (if this can be achieved) ?

Thanks a million :thumbup:

Laurent

• A Roland EV-5 (and other exp. pedals I use) works fine with the settings below:
    - Type 1 --- Wah
    - Wah Pedal to Vol. checked
    - Pedal Mode : On
    - Volume location: pre - effects
    (sometimes when I change the volume location, the EV-5 doesn't respond as volume when the wah slot is desabled! When this happens I disconnect and reconnect the cable to the pedal, and most of times it works again, if it doesn't I store the rig with the new volume location and I restart the KPA, then the pedal works normally again.)

- Ensure that the vol pot on the side of the pedal, is set to minimum position.

Edited once, last by grorig ().

• sometimes when I change the volume location, the EV-5 doesn't respond as volume when the wah slot is desabled! When this happens I disconnect and reconnect the cable to the pedal, and most of times it works again, if it doesn't I store the rig with the new volume location and I restart the KPA, then the pedal works normally again.

it should be sufficient to move the pedal down and then fully up to continue from the max value, rather than disconnecting it.
    With Volume To Wah the volume pedal needs to catch the volume value to avoid sudden volume drops.

• it should be sufficient to move the pedal down and then fully up to continue from the max value, rather than disconnecting it.
    With Volume To Wah the volume pedal needs to catch the volume value to avoid sudden volume drops.

I did it, but sometimes doesn't help.This happens only with the EV-5, the other exp. pedals I use are ok.

• Hi,

Thank you for your help,

I tried using the 2 expression pedals i've got (boss fv500-H and a m-audio m-gear ex-p), they both react the same way with the following settings,( with no success) :

- Pedal 1 type 1 (also tried using type 2) , Wah Wah
    - WahPedal to Vol. checked
    - Pedal Mode : On/Off
    - Volume location: pre - effects
    - the vol pot on the side of the pedal, is set to minimum position (for FV500-H)

What I observe:
    - when wah slot (D) is ON, i can use the wah, no problem
    - when wah is off , no volume change :
    - when going to page 3/4(Volume pedal setting) of the RIG menu, i can see that the Pedal value is still indicating wah and not volume
    - when going to page 6/9 of the SYSTEM menu, i can see that CC01 (expression) is changing, but CC07 (Volume) is always stuck at the maximum

Laurent

• - when wah slot (D) is ON, i can use the wah, no problem
    - when wah is off , no volume change :

It happens exactly the same to me.
    I forgot to mention that when I turn on the wah, the exp. pedal acts immediately as wah controller, but when I disable it, I have to wait a few seconds, until the exp. pedal starts to act as a volume pedal. Maybe it happens the same to you.

• Switching off the wah slot may not activate the volume pedal - if the wah is active in a rig, the pedal is a wah. Switch to a rig without an active wah, and the pedal is a volume.

Quote:
    Note: we do not support the swapping of pedal functions by switching a Wah effect on and off, as this would cause problems. Besides, you’ll get a better result by selecting one of our dedicated pedal modes that automatically activate the Wah effect as soon as you move the wah pedal.

• Ok, I think that I guess what's going on. Go to page 3/4 of the RIG menu and adjust the RANGE at -5 or -4,9 (if you don't want the tuner to appear when the signal is muted).

• Thank you all,

I don't get better reults :

What is strange is that even if i disable the wah, i can not control volume, it is always stuck to the maximum value.

Should the pedal1 type be Wah Wah ?
    I have the feeling that as long as pedal1 type is Wah Wah, i can not control the volume, even if i change the D slot type from Wah to nothing, still no volume control.

Changing the volume range in the rig menu didn't give me better results.

If you've got a working rig for this use case to share....i'm ready, otherwise i will open a ticket to support.

Thanks again for your help and feedback,

Laurent

• Thanks Grorig,

After setting the pedal1 type to type1 (I tried with type 2 during my experiments), i succeeded to use both wah and volume :

- when disabling the wah, it takes about 4 secondes to be able to control the volume.
    - when volume pedal range is greater than 0, the volume control does not work.
    - when volume pedal range is lower than 0, the volume control does work.

In fact , i was expecting to find the same volume i had before activating the wah, when i disable it, i need to
    understand why when volume pedal range is greater than 0, the volume control does not work, and thus read the fabulous manual.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Laurent