Reamping SPDIF Logic Pro X and MixControl(Saffire pro 14)

• I have had my kemper for a week now and starting to get to grips with it. Was using an apogee one at first to record to Logic, but decided to sell and get a Saffire pro 14 for the SPDIF in and out capabilities.

I have been trying to work out how to reamp a DI track and have been following the guides and youtube tutorials but can't work it out. It is recording the DI and processed signal perfectly but i can't work out how to reamp! I seem to get the reprocessed sound via the Kemper in MixControl but I can't record in logic.

My Setup is.

Guitar >>Kemper>>spdif out>>interface Spdif In.

• What firmware are you using? I was having a bit of trouble reamping for the first time with 2.7 beta.

1) Have you changed the input setting to SPDIF?
    2) Are you correctly arming a track with SPDIF in for recording?
    3) Is MixControl set up correctly, i.e. is the reamped signal being routed to your DAW?

Try to send the reamped signal through the analog 1/4" outputs. Are you getting a signal? I have a feeling your routing isn't correct within MixControl.

• thanks for your reply.

I don't know how to arm the track for Spdif Recording. I am choosing input 5 for dry 6 for processed on guitar track, which works when recording guitar. I have tried to arm the track with input 6 for the reamp but doesn't work. I can hear the processed signal through mixcontrol. Logic isn't picking it up.

Whenever I have tried to use the analog outputs I get a very high pitched noise.

• thanks for your reply.

I don't know how to arm the track for Spdif Recording. I am choosing input 5 for dry 6 for processed on guitar track, which works when recording guitar. I have tried to arm the track with input 6 for the reamp but doesn't work. I can hear the processed signal through mixcontrol. Logic isn't picking it up.

Whenever I have tried to use the analog outputs I get a very high pitched noise.

A high pitched noise indicates that something is getting fed back within the DAW or Kemper.

You should not have to change the input when you're reamping, i.e. it will be the same as when you recorded the DI. Just remember to go to the output tab and set the desired output to stack or master stereo.

Here's how your DAW settings should look, assuming input 5+6 is your SPDIF channel, both for input as well as output.
    1) Set input for track to 5+6
    2) Set output for track to your main monitor outputs 1+2. I have a feeling you have this set to SPDIF, which is why you're getting a feedback loop.

• Thanks I will check the output, when i get home later. How do I route mixcontrol to the spdif out?

The Kemper should be outputting on SPDIF if the signal from your DAW is coming in, again via SPDIF. You should only have to arm the appropriate track in your DAW to receive a signal.

If that fails, within MixControl, click on the SPDIF channel, which should give you a set of output options. Set that option to one of the software inputs in your DAW.

I'm not really familiar with the Saffire Pro 14 and MixControl, so using my experience with the Mixer for my Fireface 800. If this doesn't work, post some pictures of MixControl and your DAW setup and we'll try and sort this out.

By the way, have you activated the appropriate channels for SPDIF on your interface? I think you must have, given that you're getting a DI signal.

• So just a follow up to this thread. I ran into the same problem this past weekend. I was able to record the 2 tracks via SPDIF using my Saffire Pro 40 and Mixcontrol into Logic Pro X. Then I tried to reamp and ran into some issue of not being able to get it to work.

So I had channels 9 and 10 in Logic set for SPDIF. I looked at a ton of videos and read everything and for the life of me I could not seem to get the reamp to work.

I called tech support last night and they said that the Saffire will use channels 9 and 10 for SPDIF and to set my DI track to output on (mono) channel 9 in Logic. I did this and saw the meter moving in Mixcontrol. I then enabled channel 10 and it worked!!!! I had set the Kemper to SPDIF input and the clock to SPDIF in Mixcontrol as well.

So my suggestion is to have channels 9 and 10 for SPDIF in Mixcontrol and then just use those same channels in Logic. I hope this helps anyone else trying to reamp in Logic with Mixcontrol.