Setting up SPDIF

• Hey guys. I just need a little help setting up the SPDIF output on the Kemper.

I'm basically wanting to track a D.I. signal of the guitar aswell as the "dirty" sound of the kemper. I heard you do this via SPDIF, but whatever I do I can't get the signal to come through.

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Pro Tools 10 and the Scarlett Mix Control. Any tips or links to other threads (I couldn't find one this specific) would be a great help

• A couple suggestions that i can offer.

1. In your SPDIF setup, one device has to be the master for sync purposes and the other unit has to be setup as a slave unit. If the two units are not in sync, you will get crappy or no SPDIF audio at all. Your KPA is the master, so make sure to setup your Focusrite to be the slave. By default, it's probably setup to be the master for sync purposes. Most audio interfaces switch from internal clock to external clock automatically when it detects a S/PDIF signal. Not sure about your Focusrite. You may have to manually change it somewhere in the control panel for your Scarlett. If it's currently set to "Internal", change it to external sync, so it gets it's sync timing from the Kemper.

2. Once the two units are in sync, it's just a matter of going to the Master output S/PDIF knob of the Kemper and selecting which audio you want to send to your Focusrite. All of the settings should work, Master Stereo, ect. Some are more specific, like the ones mentioned above. Git/Mod or Got/Master Mono puts the unprocessed guitar from the input jack on one of the two S/PDIF channels and the processed sound on the other S/PDIF channel. The Kemper manual describes all the various options for S/PDIF output. None of them will work if the two units aren't in sync first.

• When using the spdif i/o on the kemper, is it possible to change the sample rate from 44.1? Say you're running a session at 48k or 88.2k, the audio cuts in and out because kemper is at 44.1 Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

• When using the spdif i/o on the kemper, is it possible to change the sample rate from 44.1? Say you're running a session at 48k or 88.2k, the audio cuts in and out because kemper is at 44.1 Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

Not possible, limitation of the KPA design. 44.1K only.

What I did is connect both analog audio and SPDIF outs to my DAW and then switch between them as needed depending on which sample rate is being used. Just make sure you understand the details of how your particular DAW interface & software work so you adjust any appropriate settings inside the DAW system when switching back and forth

Sonic