USB connection for RM no longer available - SOLVED (bad cable)

• The supporting data for this is that the Kemper is properly accessing memory sticks and that uses the same USB interface albeit with a different connector.

Well I didn't know RM two USB connectors (one for RM, one for firmware) share the same USB interface. I am with touch with support now.

• you can use both at the same time without problems.
    gs

That was what I was doing all the time, but mwinter77 wrote few posts before "Also make sure when you use the type B port that nothing is inserted in the type A port - only use one port at a time." I was using rig manager on port B with USB stick in port A at the same time.

• I bought new USB A-B cable. The connection between Windows7(RigManager) and Kemper works now. Previuos cable was somehow faulty, although I used it to connect to printer and I managed to scan page using this cable.... so the ticket is closed. I was afraid to have USB port faulty at Kemper, but it came to be cable which was able to connect to Kemper (device was seen in Device Manager), I also use the cable to scan the page on the printer and it worked fine.

• :thumbup:

Wow, I was so afraid to send back the Kemper to service due to faulty USB B-type port... I hope I will never have a chance to repair this thing. Looks like a tank (white toaster) and I hope it will survive everything. Stupid 4Euro cable.

• I bought new USB A-B cable. The connection between Windows7(RigManager) and Kemper works now. Previuos cable was somehow faulty, although I used it to connect to printer and I managed to scan page using this cable.... so the ticket is closed. I was afraid to have USB port faulty at Kemper, but it came to be cable which was able to connect to Kemper (device was seen in Device Manager), I also use the cable to scan the page on the printer and it worked fine.

Yes, this was my point. Not necessarily two devices' USB ports work in the same way, currents and tensions are involved as well in the digital domain, and what flows through connections is an "old fashion" current nevertheless.
    I've sometimes experienced matters of tolerances by which some digital things work, some others don't.

Trying another cable, if you can't try another USB port, is one of the first things to do when something doesn't work as expected.

Glad you solved it! :thumbup:

• Trying another cable, if you can't try another USB port, is one of the first things to do when something doesn't work as expected.

Glad you solved it! :thumbup:

I have some spare USB A-A cables, but I had none USB A-B cables since, I can connect to printer by WiFi and this one USB A-B cable I bought month ago just for Kemper.

I just don't know this faulty cable works with printer... anyway today I noticed that after connecting Kemper with RigManager with this cable the Kemper device was present in Windows 7 Device Manager for a while, but after some time it was dropped. The device got exclamation mark and I got Windows dialog with info that "diver could not be installed", though the device was with proper driver 10 seconds before.

Dosen't matter now 8) Check your cables guys!

• Yep :)

The point is that the cable is not faulty, or it would not work at all. But coupling a cable with two specific ports which exhibit specific tensions an currents can lead to a transmission line which fails to comply with the USB specifications. That's why the cable works with the printer: not all the devices\ports work the same, despite being "digital".

:)

• you can use both at the same time without problems.
    gs

Glad you found your problem and that it was simply a cable!

To elaborate on using both USB ports at the same time I found that with my Kemper I must disconnect the computer from the Kemper for it to recognize when I insert a memory stick for purposes of upgrading the firmware. If I do not disconnect the computer it will not respond to my inserting the memory stick for a firmware upgrade. This behavior has been 100% consistent and led me to believe that you could only use one of the two USB port types on the Kemper at a time.

• This behavior has been 100% consistent and led me to believe that you could only use one of the two USB port types on the Kemper at a time.

As far as I remember I had Kemper connected to RigManager all the time and simultaneously I had been using USB stick for firmware upgrades without problems.