Pete's Platinum Profiles - round two coming up

• Hey guys! Booked studio time again next week - same place, same killer gear and engineer. I'm curious - what would you guys find most interesting for me to profile? This is just a discussion, not a formal poll or anything... he still has several small/vintage amps i could do, or I could bring some of my stuff to the studio, or a combination. What would be nice is to block out a ton of time, but that's just not in the cards for now. Plus i don't want ear fatigue to be an issue. So i am going to be limited on how many profiles/amps I get.

Amps I'm thinking of bringing are some vintage marshalls and one of my '72 cabs, or my 1960 Fender concert 4x10. Not sure if I could cram the concert *and* a 4x12 in my Challenger, probably not. I may borrow a friend's truck or something.

Or if I don't bring my amps, then I'll grab profiles of his - he had several more small amps. I know there are a ton of marshall profiles out there, I just really think his studio and recording rig shines, and my amps aren't unobtanium but still nice - real 70, 72 and 74 marshalls are out there but not super plentiful like all the reissue plexis and such are.

Any commentary or ideas would be appreciated. And yes, I'm going to focus on getting some great clean tones too, I really want to use his vintage U47 on something! :)

• Vintage Marshall is always nice, and very welcome! I'd have a bit of that! Substitute Marshall for Fender in the first sentence and it's still true, haha! Man, just have a blast. If you get results like on the first Platinum Pack, then I'm happy (and poorer! ;)

Cheers,
    Sam

• There can't be enough vintage Marshall profiles :D

It's funny - for something that is instantly recognizable - the Marshall 'sound' - there's a LOT of variance in it. my 1970 marshall is more Van Halenish sounding on the bright channel, my 1972 is classic rock with a bit more gain, and my 1974 50 watt is smooth and creamy. Each one has it's own sound, but they also sound like Marshalls. :)

• I like Marshall's, but that brown Concert is a rare bird around here and you may only have one chance to capture it in that environment with that gear.
    same goes for the studio owners other combo amps. They're gems , collected over many yrs and here's an opportunity for you to capture them too.
    if you can get the same quality recording of your Concert that you got with the Supro it would be one of the best Fender sounds available.
    i hope this won't be the last trip out there for you ?

• i def. miss very GOOD Tweedamp profiles, 5E3 and so on, most of them do not have THAT Chieme and Dynamics when you use that kind of amps just with your guitarvoulme from clean to chrunch, that´s the Holy Grail....

also i miss that 80´s like Giant (Dann Huff), Lukather´s "Luke" Area if you know what i mean - and i do not
    mean that too much High Gain stuff, they still have definition, a strat sounds like a strat....

• Still going to ask you to re do the Bogner with the expensive mics!

I'm planning on doing that eventually. I don't know if they will be *better* but I know they will be different. I'm pretty partial to my Bogner profiles as they are now, but they are such great amps another version wouldn't be a bad thing. It's a lot more than even using expensive mics - it's the preamp, the mic, the signal path, and the ear of the guy engineering the session. I am limited each session for time (due to expense) and also just logistics - it's not the easiest thing in the world to lug amps and cabs from an upstairs studio to another one, especially when you don't own a truck :) I hope to get a LOT of my favorite amps profiled there though!

• I like Marshall's, but that brown Concert is a rare bird around here and you may only have one chance to capture it in that environment with that gear.
    same goes for the studio owners other combo amps. They're gems , collected over many yrs and here's an opportunity for you to capture them too.
    if you can get the same quality recording of your Concert that you got with the Supro it would be one of the best Fender sounds available.
    i hope this won't be the last trip out there for you ?

As long as the profiles 'pay for themselves' I'll go back. Well, and as long as I have cool amps left to profile. :) I'm going to likely be doing the Marshalls and one of my '72 cabs this go around for sure, I'm limited on time and logistics to move gear like this. If I can get help carting gear out, I may bring the concert this go round. If not, it will get there next time for sure. It's a stellar amp and you just don't see many around.

• Cant wait Pete! I love your profiles. I would love a "Marshall on 5 or 7" profile of your early 70's Marshalls. Most of the good profiles of that great era of Marshalls for purchase are totally cranked and saturated. The low gain ones are usually weak/thin. I'm looking for a full just on the verge of breakup crunch, and one of the just after breakup crunch. Hope that can be done!!! Thanks again and love this new approach.

Kemperfan

• Hi Pete , I'm always into some new marshall bite, low gain stuff ala malcolm young.

We lack a very good mark I or II / IIc+ in the carlos santana gain range & tone ( quite low ) do you have access to any of these , or a similar amp ?

Some vintage jazz rock stuff would be greatly appreciated here as well ( Carlton ... )