Expression pedal for pitch and wah

• In one of my previous topics I had trouble with connecting a BOSS FV-500H to the Kemper. It was hidden among other questions so now I start a new topic about this.

Paults: You answered then:

"Connect the Boss pedal to Input 2. THAT is the jack for what you want. And, set Wah Pedal to Pitch = ON
    Mine works fine that way.
    You can have both Pitch and Wah be automatically bypassed at the pedal all the way up, or all the way down.
    The wah can be set to not turn on until you move the pedal, using "Bypass @ toe" or "Bypass @ Heel".
    If you move the pedal, the wah comes on.
    Pitch can also be set to "0" pitch change with the pedal at Toe or Heel. Move the pedal, the pitch changes.

In the Refefence Manual I studied this on page 30 (Link Pedals) but I can't figured it out.

Here's what I've done:
    - Connecting to input 2 (stereo cable!)
    - setting Wah to Pitch ( (in SYSTEM - page 6 - MIDI SETTINGS)
    - I choose in Stomps 4: WWAH Kemper 01

- Within the WAH WAH:
    PAGE 1:
    - Manual Pedal mode ON
    - Peak 4.2
    - Pedal Range: 100%
    - Peak Range: 100%

PAGE 2:
    - Pedal mode ON
    - MIX 100%
    - Ducking 0.0
    - Volume 0.0

Like the refenrence manual says: "Likewise, you can link the pitch pedal to the wah effects by selecting “Pitch Pedal to Wah”. In contrast to
    the volume pedal, you must first reset the pitch pedal by pressing it to heel position after a rig change."

Activating the pedal for either wah or pitch by just slighly pressing is great but I can't get it done.

In SYSTEM, PAGE 4: PEDALS
    - PEDAL 1 (Expression type 1)

The screen shows: 1: <unplugged> WAH WAH
    2: Pedal (type 1) WAH WAH

I must overlook something...

• Since you have only one pedal connected, it's no surprise that it shows 1: Unplugged and 2: Wahwah

In order to use the same pedal for wah and pitch, you need to set it up on a different profile with either one or the other activated. Otherwise the Wah>Pitch will only activate the wah, as it is the "greater" effect.

Try this and it should work for pitch FX too.

• Is this different than what Paults stated?

And then the "set up on a different profile".... Paults wrote to set WAH to PITCH...
    It would be very nice to have both Whammy and Wah using the same expression pedal and bypass them indepently under any rig just by heel and activate one or the other for a certain rig just by moving the pedal.
    is this possible and how?

• AFAIK, you can't have both pitch and wah active on the same profile and control both with just ONE pedal. You would have to use different profiles, where the FX can be controlled by the same pedal.

This.
    Wah to pitch means: Pitch active = pedal controls pitch. Pitch not active = pedal controls wah.
    Provided wah is also present and in the rig.

• I have seen a demo video from Pete Thorn. He used a pedal with horizontal and vertical axis. Didn't remember the name of the pedal. The pedal had two (or four?) output jacks for the different axis. Maybe that would be a solution to assemble it to input 1 and 2 on the KPA to use one pedal for both effects.

• I have seen a demo video from Pete Thorn. He used a pedal with horizontal and vertical axis. Didn't remember the name of the pedal. The pedal had two (or four?) output jacks for the different axis. Maybe that would be a solution to assemble it to input 1 and 2 on the KPA to use one pedal for both effects.

Yeah, I saw that, too. Great pedal.

• "is this possible and how?"
    "
    If you want the pedals to automatically turn the wah on/off:

With one pedal, each Rig can have Wah OR Whammy,

You would need two pedals to have Wah AND Whammy in the same rig.

- - - --

If you use one pedal, and a separate foot switch to turn on/off the Pitch Effect:

Ingolf's suggestion will work:

Pitch active = pedal controls pitch.
    Pitch not active = pedal controls wah. Provided wah is also present and in the rig.

• So using the expression pedal in jack 2 of the KPA as it is today, then a simple foot switch in jack 1 set to toggle the pitch effect on/off should get you there and stay in one rig?

just need to make sure each rig has both pitch and wah effects setup, then let the KPA pitch to wah feature handle the rest

• So using the expression pedal in jack 2 of the KPA as it is today, then a simple foot switch in jack 1 set to toggle the pitch effect on/off should get you there and stay in one rig?

just need to make sure each rig has both pitch and wah effects setup, then let the KPA pitch to wah feature handle the rest

Jack 1 will accept a Single or Double Switch - take a look at the switch options in the Kemper. You may also want to use the second switch's function.

• From a previous topic I managed to activate the Whammy in a rig. I carefully saved it and it still works fine!

Therfore I used PPTC (Pedal Pitch) under STOMPS (block 1)
    - heel pitch 0
    - toe pitch 12
    Sounds great in Killing in the name (from RATM)
    In this rig I don't need a Wah so I leave it there.

But just for a try: I connected a Marshall double on/off switch in input 1. That doesn't work! But for that particular rig it doesn't matter. It's available when needed in the song.

BTW: settings in SYSTEM (page 4) :
    - 1: Pedal (type 1) Wah Wah
    - 2: Pedal (type 2) Pitch
    Expression (type1) Pedal 1
    Value 0
    Expression (type 2) Pedal 2
    Value 0

Back to another rig for a wah!
    I engaged a wah (WWAH Kemper 01) just needed for a solo.
    But that doesn't work with the on/off switch on INPUT 1 either. Wah setting is ON during the whole rig. HEEL / TOE setting is still affecting the signal, so I put it back to just Pedal ON.

About what Joptunes suggests ("just need to make sure each rig has both pitch and wah effects setup, then let the KPA pitch to wah feature handle the rest) I haven't been able to achieve that.

• @theplayer
    If you want to control wah and/or whammy within a rig (or to different rigs) ,using a common expression pedal, and additionally to enable/disable these effects, using two foot switches, setup the KPA as follows:

- Make a rig and place the wah into slot A, and pitch into slot B. (You can use any slot, but for this example let's use A & B slots).

- Connect your footswitches to input 1, and expr. pedal to input 2.(both stereo cables)

- Go to the SYSTEM menu, page 4/9 and set the Pedal 1 as
    "Switch (Stereo) Stomp A/B",
    and the Pedal 2 as
    " Pedal (Type 1) Wah Wah.(Choose type 2 if your pedal doesn't work properly)

- Go to the page 6/9 of the same menu, and tick the "Wah pedal to Pitch" option.

- Go to the Wah menu and adjust:

- Manual 3,5
    - Peak 8
    - Pedal Range: 26%
    - Peak Range: 45%
    - Pedal mode: ON
    (You can choose different values, but start from here at the moment)

- Go to the Pitch menu and adjust:

Heel pitch 0
    Toe pitch +12
    ( again, you can choose different values)

Now you're able to switch on/off the effects with the footswitches,and control with exp.pedal:
    Wah ( when slot A is On and slot B Off)
    Pitch ( when slot A is Off and slot B On)
    Both ( when both slots A and B are On)

Have fun :)

• Thanks Grorig for you clear settings! :)

But it doesn't work. I guess the problem is my Marshall switch: http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/mars…-foot-switch-a304444.html It has the required stero cable.

I put the WWAH Kemper 01 in the rig and the Pedal Pitch and put settings just as you wrote.
    Both Whammy and Wah sound together pressing the expression pedal !
    Switch 1 (left) switches off the Wah. But switch 2 (right) switches another fx off within the rig: the compressor (!) The Whammy stays on!

So better buy 2 other momentary switches or....?

• Most guitar amp switches are Latching switches. (Push once, and a connection is made/ Push again, and the connection is broken)

The Kemper uses Momentary switches (like the Boss FS-6)

Yep. But, apparently, if you quickly press a switch twice it works nevertheless :)
    A kind of double-click on a mouse button.

• Strange! It works fine here.
    Ensure that:
    - you connected the dual footswitch to input 1 and the exp. pedal to input 2
    - to the system menu page 4/9, the pedal 1 is defined as "Switch (Stereo) Stomp A/B", and the pedal 2 as " Pedal (Type 1) Wah Wah" /

If you can't enable/disable the effects with the dual footswitch, means that this footswitch isn't compatible to work with KPA. You need "momentary" ( "unlatch" - "no click") type of footswitch.

Both Whammy and Wah sound together pressing the expression pedal !
    Switch 1 (left) switches off the Wah. But switch 2 (right) switches another fx off within the rig: the compressor (!) The Whammy stays on!

Your exp. pedal will work:
    as WAH only, if the A slot is ON and B slot OFF
    as PITCH only, if the A slot is OFF and B slot ON
    as WHA & Pitch simultaneously,if both A&B slots are ON

Switch ON/OFF the A/B slots manually If your footswitch doesn't work.

• Grorig, I must have done something wrong in the chain the first time. So I started all over and it works fine now. Thanks! :thumbup:
    However, the problem with the Marshall switch stays. It's a kind of stepdance to get what you want, Like Paults wrote: pressing two times for on/off and then be quick to get to the pedal....
    My Dunlop Cry Baby with an inbuild switch works better that way but the Kemper 01 and 02 wah sound better, are noiseless and are much more tweakable.

I wonder if it's wise to buy a FS-6 now or better wait for a really good controller that can do it all with just one click for every stomp within a rig.
    - My Line6 long floorboard for the Vetta worked great for that
    - The Voodoo lab GCP seems to have problems for this matter (so I've read)
    - My Roland FC-200 works fine for rig changes but I'm not familiar with CC's
    - The Behringer FCB1010 UnO seems to be a solution?
    - The PEAK FCB4N2 (small display) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d9uumaLG-0#t=781 or the FCB8N

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.