Recording

• Thanks guys. I had the Main Output at about -20 dB and it was still bad. Had it much louder with 1/4" and it was perfect -- plug and play The XLR cables are brand new and I tested them on some near-fields, so that can't be the issue. One thing I don't think I've played with is the volume knob at the bottom right of the toaster, next to the EQ knobs. If that doesn't work I'm sticking to 1/4.

My Steinberg manual says this about the jacks that take the 1/4" and XLR cables:

"For connection to a microphone or digital instrument. This jack can be connected to both XLR-type and phone-type (balanced/unbalanced) plugs. When connected to an XLR type plug, this jack automatically switches to microphone input sensitivity, and when connected to a phone-type plug, it switches to line input sensitivity."

I honestly don't know what this means but maybe it has the answer to my issue.

• When connected to an XLR type plug, this jack automatically switches to microphone input sensitivity, and when connected to a phone-type plug, it switches to line input sensitivity."

This is what I'm referring too as well. I'm running the KPA directly into mic-preamps on various analog and digital mixing-consoles as well as a variety of different recording audio-interfaces. Does the Steinberg interface actually clip with the input gain-knobs at minimum and the KPAs main output at -20dB?

The bottom right volume knob sets the volume for a particular rig and is what you use to balance the level between rigs so that your cleans matches your crunch and filth.

• This is what I'm referring too as well. I'm running the KPA directly into mic-preamps on various analog and digital mixing-consoles as well as a variety of different recording audio-interfaces. Does the Steinberg interface actually clip with the input gain-knobs at minimum and the KPAs main output at -20dB?

The bottom right volume knob sets the volume for a particular rig and is what you use to balance the level between rigs so that your cleans matches your crunch and filth.

Yes, I had the interface gain at the bare minimum and the Kemper Main Out volume down as low as it can go.

As you said, the bottom right volume is for the rig itself and had no impact on my issue.

What I'm noticing through every one of these volume knob adjustments:

With the XLR cables, the input indicator bars in Audacity are 'idling' extremely high: without touching a string they are already at about 75% of the total distance they can travel. So once I hit the strings, it's goodbye -- they're off the charts. With the 1/4" cables, the bars idle at a very low level -- they're just barely visible before I hit the strings, and then once I do so they travel their full range as they're supposed to.

• Yes, if the soundcard recognizes the plug and switches to Mic mode it's more comfortable to work with 1/4".
    All the 1/4" outs in the Profiler are unbalanced, but for a short connection on a "non-so-noisy" environment it's not a main issue.

• Yes, if the soundcard recognizes the plug and switches to Mic mode it's more comfortable to work with 1/4".
    All the 1/4" outs in the Profiler are unbalanced, but for a short connection on a "non-so-noisy" environment it's not a main issue.

Thanks. I'll stick to 1/4" then. The cables are only 3' long and I don't have much going on technologically in my apartment, so I should be good.

One last question, if I may: is it okay to have, at the same time, the two XLR Main outs going out to studio monitors or a CLR, and then also the Kemper 1/4" Main outs to the Steinberg? Does the Kemper default to XLR or 1/4" if they're both plugged in at the same time? I'm very cautious so I haven't tried it -- just in case it fries my Kemper!

• Checked the spec for a few devices I have here and it turns out that with Steinberg UR22 you are indeed best off using the 1/4" unbalanced outputs from the KPA.

Kemper XLR max output (unattenuated): +22dBu

Behringer X32 digital mixing console. Max non-clip XLR input: +23dBu
    (Mic-pres on various mixing consoles can usually handle up to at least +16dBu)

UR22 max XLR input: 0dBu (ouch!)

• Well, there it is -- thanks solving that riddle! I am a total newbie when it comes to this stuff, but still, I can usually find my way around at least well enough to get things up and running half-decently. Nice to know it's inherent interface limitations and not some set-up issue I was missing.

• Thanks. I'll stick to 1/4" then. The cables are only 3' long and I don't have much going on technologically in my apartment, so I should be good.

One last question, if I may: is it okay to have, at the same time, the two XLR Main outs going out to studio monitors or a CLR, and then also the Kemper 1/4" Main outs to the Steinberg? Does the Kemper default to XLR or 1/4" if they're both plugged in at the same time? I'm very cautious so I haven't tried it -- just in case it fries my Kemper!

No, you won't be frying anything by trying... you're not connecting a power amp to a cab :)

• Well, I saw a video of Ola Englund on YouTube using a Kemper with an XLR cable into a Presonus AudioBox 22VSL, which according to the Presonus website has XLR Input Max Headroom of +10 dBu; the TS option has input max headroom of +15 dBu.

So, if I go for the Audiobox 44VSL instead, which has XLR max headroom of +16 dBu, surely then I should be in the clear to use the XLR cable.

• Nothing about the cab, but what would the purpose be, since you can hit your soundcard with the Profiler itself?
    You might also achieve this by using the CLR's Link output.

:)

I was thinking of trying an SM57 with the X2U attachment for direct USB to the computer, and seeing if I get a better recording with that vs. a Focusrite 6i6 with S/PDIF direct to the Kemper. I know I'll get in trouble for this but I saw a video on YouTube of a guy who got some nice recordings out of an Engl and the SM57-X2U combo.

• Well, "better" is certainly subjective, but you'll get a "different" sound for sure (farer from the original profile I mean).
    What about using the Profiler's analog output or - again - the CLR's Link to the soundcard?

• Well, "better" is certainly subjective, but you'll get a "different" sound for sure (farer from the original profile I mean).
    What about using the Profiler's analog output or - again - the CLR's Link to the soundcard?

I think what I'll do is spend a day giving each method a fair shot. One riff and one profile on each recording method. I guess it's the only way to truly determine which one gets the results I'm looking for.

• Sure :)

But you'll add a lot of variables to the sonic equation, while keeping the chain as linear as possible (as you did by buying the CLR) you'll know that you have to tweak the profile, or choose another one.
    With a mic, its placement, its preamp, the room... you'll have many other things changing your sound, and you'll never be sure what is making which difference.
    Just a thought :)

• Sure :)

But you'll add a lot of variables to the sonic equation, while keeping the chain as linear as possible (as you did by buying the CLR) you'll know that you have to tweak the profile, or choose another one.
    With a mic, its placement, its preamp, the room... you'll have many other things changing your sound, and you'll never be sure what is making which difference.
    Just a thought :)

Makes sense. I guess if my goal is to preserve the tone of the profile as much as possible, then recording with a mic, with all the issues that come with placement and room features, basically ruins what I'm trying to accomplish in the first place. I think the Kemper straight into a Focusrite is the way to go. I think you just saved me from wasting 6 hours or so!

• Makes sense. I guess if my goal is to preserve the tone of the profile as much as possible, then recording with a mic, with all the issues that come with placement and room features, basically ruins what I'm trying to accomplish in the first place. I think the Kemper straight into a Focusrite is the way to go. I think you just saved me from wasting 6 hours or so!

Gianfranco is right. What you want to do is re-microphone a signal chain that has already been miked.
    This will be 'something' but certainly not what was profiled.
    Double is not always better. ;)

• Makes sense. I guess if my goal is to preserve the tone of the profile as much as possible, then recording with a mic, with all the issues that come with placement and room features, basically ruins what I'm trying to accomplish in the first place. I think the Kemper straight into a Focusrite is the way to go. I think you just saved me from wasting 6 hours or so!

Glad to have been of help. This is exactly the purpose of such communities: to not have to reinvent the wheel :)