What makes MASTER(OUTPUT) led clipping?

• Hi

I have some very nice "Vibroking 3" profile by "chadrides" loaded to my Kemper - you can find thie profile on RE. When I load this profile Gain is about 2.2, EQ is at noon, Volume is at NOON.

What makes the MASTER(OUTPUT in newer Kempers) clipping? It is rather clean profile, no boosters added.

OK I notcied AMPLIFIER volume is +3.7dB and REVERB volume is +1.6. I made these volumes 0.0dB but still clipping on my Stratocaster with single coils? Input clean sens set to 0.0. When I set VOLUME to -6dB it is not clipping

Is this profile prepared not correctly?

• I notice some of the profiles on the rig exchange have their volume setting exaggerated. (And some of the commercial/bought ones too) maybe the "loudness wars" is not limited to just mainstream records <X and maybe some individual profilers seek attention by trying to be louder than others?:S
    However, As far as I am aware, the KPA, by default, sets the volume as 0dB following a profiling session and some rigs do need a tweak to balance them out with other rigs in the users collection but, ais, flicking through the RE, I occasionally find there are some unnecessarily increased levels on certain offerings.
    (Yet another reason for requesting a limiter on the output stage ^^

Check the volume level (knob) and the output level within the cabinet settings, beside any fx that may increase the overall level, perhaps by turning off each stomp/fx one at a time to identify the culprit.

• I've seen that as well on some profiles. Lowering "Volume" (Rig-Volume) did the trick. It would be really nice to have levelled profiles (or even a switch in Kemper to do the trick...)

• That only helps for factory content. :)

I know. What I want to say (again) is: Automatic levelling will presumably not be happening as it is a process too difficult to NOT have your ears involved.
    Therefore: Take a factory rig as a starting point and level by ear.

• Since I started using performance mode, it's my go to state when I switch on my Kemper. When I have a performance that's not fitting in volume wise, I just change the rig volume.

That said, sometimes clipping happens on profiles that are not "loud" per se. I believe this has to do with the way transients in the profile are registered within the profiler. When this happens on profiles, I usually attribute it to inconsistencies at the profiling stage.

As such, it would be great for an automatic volume leveller, but decibels will not be an appropriate measure across profiles in terms of eliminating clipping, which might even be introduced after such a volume levelling exercise.

• Take a factory rig as a starting point and level by ear.

I usually just set the rig volume @ 0 dB and resave :)

sometimes clipping happens on profiles that are not "loud" per se. I believe this has to do with the way transients in the profile are registered within the profiler. When this happens on profiles, I usually attribute it to inconsistencies at the profiling stage.

It may also depend on modulation fx. Summing and subtracting freqs at times can return a higher-than-average overall level.

:)

• Hi skoczy,

I tried this profile and it's hot on my output, too. I always check and tweak the volumes of the Stack / Stomps or Effects section or EQ freq. gains. The shortest way is lowering the Rig volume. But I rarely do this, because after some point it starts to sound weak for me. Lowering a volume of a rig is a general attempt. It effects all the good things besides the high volumed sections. Because of this, I check the sections one by one to find which component has a high volume. Then I tweak them for my own taste.

i.e. for this rig I lowered the Amp and Cabinet volume about 1 - 1.5dB. It worked. These values will be different with another guitar, another system. So tweak your own taste.

BTW setting and locking Clean Sense & Dist. Sense to right values will solve most of the future volume problems. :thumbup:

Sound Engineer, Musician, Animal Rights Activist.

Fender '89 Clapton Strat, EMG DG20, KPA, Martin, SSL, Neve, Manley, Tube-Tech, Millennia, API, Lynx, RME, Avid, Apple, Adam...

• i.e. for this rig I lowered the Amp and Cabinet volume about 1 - 1.5dB. It worked. These values will be different with another guitar, another system. So tweak your own taste.

Just FYI, it's completely a matter of preference If you lower only amp or cab volume, or both.
    The sound will not change.

• Just FYI, it's completely a matter of preference If you lower only amp or cab volume, or both.
    The sound will not change.

Yes, that's what I wanted to say.

Fender '89 Clapton Strat, EMG DG20, KPA, Martin, SSL, Neve, Manley, Tube-Tech, Millennia, API, Lynx, RME, Avid, Apple, Adam...

• Hi skoczy,
    i.e. for this rig I lowered the Amp and Cabinet volume about 1 - 1.5dB. It worked. These values will be different with another guitar, another system. So tweak your own taste.
    :

I will try your suggestions. My guitar is quite quiet. It is Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Players with Vintego Noiseless Pickups. I have to bring the Clean Sens up to + few dB really.

• I will try your suggestions. My guitar is quite quiet. It is Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Players with Vintego Noiseless Pickups. I have to bring the Clean Sens up to + few dB really.

I am also playing Stratocaster. '89 Clapton and EMG DG20 PUPs. If you think your guitar way too quiet, increasing the pickup's height would help.

My Clean & Dist. Sense are -5.0 dB both. I like setting my PUPs just a little high (but not too high) because I like "meaty" tones. And my output settings are @ -6 dB on KPA and locked. I am very happy with these values at the studio or on stage.