Giving it up!!

• I would just like to say thank you to all you guys for your help! I think you are all brilliant , helpful and very patient. However I'm not a proper Kemper user it's killing me! Way too many options, I spend more tim tweaking than playing, it's not for me! I'm wondering if anyone knows who might be interested in a power rack version + a yamaha DXR 10 and 12 and a F1010 uno chipped board and 2 stands. I will sell all for a very cut down price. I hope this isn't an inappropriate use of the forum, just thought you might be interested

Thanks again all

mark

• Actually i know how you feel, i dont mind tweaking a bit to find a tone, but a lot of the threads on here go straight over my head. I don't have the time or patience or mental ability to keep up :)
    A lot of guys on here really know their stuff, maybe i need a dumbed down sub forum.
    Good luck, but if you like what you have, draw a line in the sand, less tweaking more playing :)

• @markyboy, the kemper can be very advanced if you want it to be. When I first purchased it I was like you, tweaking and tweaking and tweaking and what with so many profiles out there you can get lost in trying to find that tone your after. What I've done is decided to not try any more profiles for a while, the ones I have I've been through and narrowed them down to the ones I really like and use the most. This has helped me to play more and tweak less. It's sad that you are selling up I would have given it longer to get used to and learn how the thing truly works I've had mine for 2 years and I'm still learning loads. Maybe you will change your mind ??

have you only used the factory rigs or have you purchased some commercial profiles as well if I hadn't had brought bundle 2 from the amp factory the day I got my KPA i might of given up I found they really gave my KPA life :)

• hi
    i understand this but as advice
    take one profile you like
    and play and you will know very fast that you don't have to tweak
    a lot
    good profiles let me play for hours
    without tweaking
    i only enjoy the excellent sound
    theres no need to use all these options
    but its a good feeling to have them
    which doesn't mean you HAVE to use them

• man it's a pity to give up :( I would be the happiest guitarist with just 3 variations of the same ultimate rig & a strat.

with the basic EQ, amp & cab parameter you should be able to get a killer tone within 2 minutes from most rigs available on the R.E :

get a lead tone : less definition / more mids / more gain / adjust treble / - ad (boost/comp/bit shaper) to taste +FXs

get a Rhythm one : more definition, more clarity , a bit of direct signal ,more bass & treble , less mids

most of the time I tweak my own rigs to my actual mood & guitar , for no more than 30 sec : that's 4/5 changes max and 2 hours of pure playing bliss . My verb setting and delays are locked to Hall & tape delay & most of the time I also use my own cab , often locked.

• Hi markyboy
    I have the Powerhead since September 2014 and I'm still a newbie. So I know how you feel. I've spent a lot of time in getting to know and controlling this powerful machine and I didn't scratch the surface yet.
    But patience perseverance and one thing at a time led me to really good sounds, of course with the answers from many helpful and willing forum members to my questions on many topics I started because in the beginnning I didn't know where to start.
    Reading the manual helps but for a Dutch newbie like me it's not always that simple to understand
    the technical stuff. The Reference Manual and the WIKPA (http://www.wikpa.org/Main_Page) give more details and explanation but it takes much time. And I wanted to play more in the beginning.

In the end I'm keeping my Powerhead because it can do better and more than the rather expensive and heavy amps, cabinets, stompboxes, complicated fx-units etc. that I still have. Not to mention cables,
    adapters random stuff in trying to get a decent sound. And I got a really authentic artist sound, at least for the songs in the band I'm playing in. So it has been paying off! Maybe you can reconsider...

And it's very light

• Oh god guys!! I've tried so much my ears are bleeding!! The overdrive settings are harsh even boxy, the best overdrive I can get is Sabbath, it doesn't sound as boxy but just not right. I'm in a function type band without PA just a few Bose systems for electric drums an acoustic vocal, we can play from the Darkness, whisky in the jar, stereophonics, happy, all night long, etc, how will I know this thing will work until I'm in a live situation? You know what it's like when you get out there, things change! I can't tell if it would be better or worse than the sound I create at home! Then there's the volume levels lots and lots of them' I really must be getting old
    i need a DVD tutorial to show me step by step including the dreaded FCB1010 with uno, levels and settings on the monitor speakers. I would like to know what the factory rigs are like but I'm buying blind, are they going to be that much better than the one from the rig exchange?? I'm stressed guys help!! :wacko:
    can someone arrange a Kemper group meeting with demos tips tricks beer and food?

• IMO I didn't get on with the factory rigs. I loaded my first lot of TAF rigs and I found love with my KPA. My band plays everything from Nickelback, Pink Floyd, Stereophonics to Van Halen. The Kemper blows every other amp I've owned out of the window. I think the secret to getting on with the Kemper is not to over think it. Pick a profile my fav being the JCM 800 from TAF Marshall pack and just rock it. I tweaked it a little bit maybe added a little treble and delay
    and I was up and running !! The FCB1010 is quite simple to get working with the Kemper performance mode is where I use it live top row are the stomps and bottom row is the five performance slots

• Be a mighty shame to come this far and not try the commercial rigs... TAF is an obvious starting place http://www.theampfactory.com/ but there's some stiff competition out there. Which is good for us - basically it comes down to personal preference in terms of the sound you're going after. The TAF Marshall pack would be a great place to start...

It does sound a little like you've become a little over stimulated, taking on the KPA and the FCB1010 in one go... narrow things down before digging into the details. They are there if you want them but not required all the time. A lot of the commercial rigs are a little more 'plug and play'... give some a go before you offload - I don't think you'll regret it :)

Either way - happy hunting Markyboy

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Mark I have unloaded almost all my factory rigs and use commercial. I totally understand where you are coming from but I to was disappointed when I first hooked up my KPA to my monitors. I read these people on the forum and they all love the sound. Then I purchased some commercial tones and ran the KPA through a small PA I have with some great sounding non powered Yamaha speakers. It was then I realized this thing sounded incredible and could not put it down. I finally understood what everyone was raving about. So I have spent time learning the functions of the KPA am comfortable programming it. The only thing I find I may be tweaking are the effects not the actual dry amp sound.

I then bought a ZLX12P for a monitor and also happy with the sound it produces, I did find that keeping the monitor upright sounds better live instead of leaving it in the horizontal position. But there are some great profiles from The Amp Factory, Chop Tones and Top Jimi etc, I find there are too many I like and want to find songs to use them in. I hope you stick with it. Good luck.

• Everything is good, and tastes are tastes. But if the distortions in the factory packs sound harsh to markyboy... a commercial profile won't change this.

In order to hear good sounds you have to use a good cab IMO, or use the return of your favourite amp :)

Why don't you visit a local store and try the best PA they have there?
    Just a thought ;)

• I was worried about having this problem before I got my kemper... but the truth is, I have found half a dozen profiles I really like (some commercial, TAF as mentioned above for eg, some free), and barely mess with it now. I don't use *any* of the factory profiles, and, like others, have unloaded most of them.

Definitely try some of the profiles from the rig exchange or from commercial vendors. Once you find a few you like, you will not give up the kemper! FWIW Once I find a profile I like I do not tweak it at all. I literally scroll through rig manager and find some I like and import them.. and that is it.

• Sad that you're leaving, but I guess not every product is suited to everyone. I'm a bit surprised with your experience with the Kemper though, mine has been excellent. No harshness or clipping or sub-par sound. I barely tweak too and my pedal controller is so basic that I just have PC and CC messages and it works fine.

Still, best of luck with whatever sonic goodness you choose to go with. I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if you come back to the Kemper, as other users have. It is that good. ^^

• Hm.... I tweak with the KPA less than with real amps... I just switch it on and play for hours on my favorite profiles :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar