Recommend a good volume pedal

• Looking to add a volume pedal to my setup. I play alone with backing tracks and solos just aren't cutting through enough.

The CLR seems to be the speaker of choice among Kemper users; is there a volume pedal the toaster gets along with especially well, or will pretty much any one do?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum. I'll repost in Other Gear.

Edited once, last by PB26 ().

• You need an expression pedal, which will handle volume duties as well on your Kemper. People here recommend the Mission Control EP1, the Dunlop DV3 (was that it's code name?) and the Yamaha FC7 (mine!) quite often.

As far as solos cutting through the mix, you might not need a volume pedal. Activating a simple boost or even a tube screamer on the Kemper can help you cut better through the mix. Since you're using backing tracks, I guess the volume of the Kemper can be increased with master volume alone to get the results you want.

• Thanks guys. Basically I just want to be able to up the volume just for the solo, then go back to the original level, without having obviously to stop and turn the knob manually.

• Since you are a Classic Rock fan, you may want to do it the old school way. Using the volume knobs on the guitar is the way to do that. Set the Gain for a solo tone with the guitar wide open, and turn it down for chords.

That is old school! My only issue is some of the transitions don't give me time to mess around with the guitar volume knob, so it would be nice to do it via pedal.

• Here is another trick that works well with SGs and Les Pauls for fast volume changes:

Put the pickup selector in the middle position.
    Turn the Bridge pickup all the way up.
    Turn down the neck pickup volume control until the volume drops to a rhythm level (it will typically be almost off).

Your pickup selector is now a Rhythm/Lead switch :)

Now that is clever! Very cool. Gotta give that a whirl. :thumbup:

• I do what Paul does too. It's nice to be able to just flip the switch for volume changes. The only problem I have with that technique is sometimes I flip the switch all the way down into the bridge position which is something I don't always want when playing a lead part. So in addition to that I use a Visual Volume pedal in front of everything instead of the volume knob on my guitar. The lighted volume pedal really helps with quickly bringing the setting exactly back to where I want it.

http://visualsound.net/visual-volume/

• I am used to play with tubeamps with volumboost, this is for me the best option. When i was looking for a lunchbox amp(Mesa Mini Rectifier) i was buying a Skrydstrup BR1 boosterpedal who could do the same. transparent without changeing the amp sound. On my Kemper i simply make two paralell presets A-B with solovolume on B.
    I dont like to use volumpedal because its very difficult to get the same rythm level each time! then its better to have solovolum from high to higher, than high to low!! always be herd and cut trough. if you have A-B presets you can also have different gain and EQ on solovolum to smooth out tone

• I am used to play with tubeamps with volumboost, this is for me the best option. When i was looking for a lunchbox amp(Mesa Mini Rectifier) i was buying a Skrydstrup BR1 boosterpedal who could do the same. transparent without changeing the amp sound. On my Kemper i simply make two paralell presets A-B with solovolume on B.
    I dont like to use volumpedal because its very difficult to get the same rythm level each time! then its better to have solovolum from high to higher, than high to low!! always be herd and cut trough. if you have A-B presets you can also have different gain and EQ on solovolum to smooth out tone

I like this idea too. I guess I would need to be able to switch rigs with some sort of foot controller. Back to the manual!

• You need a foot controller anyway if you play the Kemper live! the FCB1010 is for the moment the best controller. it have volumpedal and expression pedal. i only use my volume pedal for tuning and muting, and some swells now and then. i don't think the volumpedal can compete with some expensive dedicated volumpedals! but i am not comfortable using it, so i don't care.

• You need a foot controller anyway if you play the Kemper live! the FCB1010 is for the moment the best controller. it have volumpedal and expression pedal. i only use my volume pedal for tuning and muting, and some swells now and then. i don't think the volumpedal can compete with some expensive dedicated volumpedals! but i am not comfortable using it, so i don't care.

I agree with Morty. The pedals on the FCB are not that good for volume control but I find its fine to use as a WAH pedal. I find the volume pedal is either on or off and if it's in between you lose the tone. But like most others I will be in the market for a good volume pedal to use with the FCB. And yes the FCB with the Uno4Kemper chip is plug and play, really no programing involved.

• Thanks, I like the idea of switching to a volume-up version of the same rig for a solo, but my only question: does the rig change happen quick enough for that or is there a delay? I've only ever used the toaster controls or Rig Manager to change rigs, and there's a delay from the time I click my mouse to the time the rig is ready. If those midi foot controllers give me the goods right away that might be a good option in addition to the old school pickup switch methods.

For the record, I wouldn't dare play live. I ain't that good, that I'm sure of!

• Here is another trick that works well with SGs and Les Pauls for fast volume changes:

Put the pickup selector in the middle position.
    Turn the Bridge pickup all the way up.
    Turn down the neck pickup volume control until the volume drops to a rhythm level (it will typically be almost off).

Your pickup selector is now a Rhythm/Lead switch :)

Paul , I didn't think you were old enough to be that old school. LOL :)