Single/Duo Act PA with KPA

• That's an interesting product, but I can't find any really convincing demos or reviews for using it as a small PA. I'm skeptical that it can hold up to even a small coffee shop venue scenario. Anyone actually try one of these with a KPA?

I'm not Paul (duh), but I have had extensive experience with the Bose, and I would go with the Bose. Any time you set up 2-speakers, you end up having a "null" at many frequencies between the 2-speakers. The ability of the Bose to give you perfect monitoring and a very wide sound-field is unique.

There is another post on this board - somewhere, or maybe TGP - where the poster asserts that the Bose mixer corrupts the sound....and that another, inexpensive mixer should be used instead. I've not tried that, but considering the price, the A/D/A converters couldn't be too robust, so he may well be correct.

As Paul said, the older Bose L1 has a built-in mixer,

I would suggest that you could buy one through Craigslist, try it out for a while, and sell it for what you paid for it if you didn't like it.

• Yeah, I've considered buying a used older one, but they hold their value so well that they're still VERY expensive. Buying one several years old for high dollars is a bit scary ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• It's pretty easy to see if it still works....and, there's a reason they hold their value. ;)

Again, if it's not for you any small hit you might take on resale could just be considered "rental expense".

• Paul, if you had to choose between a mixer with stereo DXR10's and a single Bose L1 with subwoofer, which would you prefer?

I happen to be Paul ....LOL!

First of all, look in your closets - If you already own gear that you can use, don't buy anything :) And, any advantages in a stereo rig tend to get swallowed up by room acoustics.

For full band gigs, cabinets on the two sides of the stage would be a good plan. But, for two musicians, and two or more vocalists, the Bose is a much quicker set up, and has a smaller stage foot print than two speaker stands and monitors.

One DXR10 on a stand would probably be enough for most acoustic gigs, for that matter.

If you already own gear that you can use,

• Well, the only thing I currently own that might be usable is the Fishman Loudbox Artist. It actually puts out more sound than you'd expect, and with decent quality. I guess I need to put it in a decent sized room and crank it. My experience with it in my own studio is very similar to that with guitar amps - the louder, the better 8o:whistling:

• I have the TC Helicon Voice Solo FX150 and I really like it. I have used it on a few gigs and was able to monitor both my own vocals, the Kemper and another monitor mix from the rest of the band. It was loud enough for the gigs at hand and sounded very good.

I'm curious as to how you make the connections in order to monitor three sources. I did review the manual, and are you doing what TC recommends?

Your vocal mike -> Input 1
    Band monitor mix -> Input 2
    Kemper Headphone Out -> Aux In

If this configuration works as well as you say, I may have to try one of these.

• I would think that you would use the Kemper Monitor Out to the Aux In ...

• I own the Dxr 10 and fishman loudbox .. I consider these my best money spent on gear alongside the kemper... I would further ask what will you be playing at these gigs.. Acoustic and vocals ? What type of music ? The loudbox is incredible value for an acoustic and vocal type gig and very suprising .. Bring a a mic a stand and your guitar and it's all good. It has usable built in effects that are just enough to polish your sound a bit. Simple setup nice reverb for vocal and guitar..plus get a a combo deal with a senheiser e835 and stand for free from sweet water or others

• I own the Dxr 10 and fishman loudbox .. I consider these my best money spent on gear alongside the kemper... I would further ask what will you be playing at these gigs.. Acoustic and vocals ? What type of music ? The loudbox is incredible value for an acoustic and vocal type gig and very suprising .. Bring a a mic a stand and your guitar and it's all good. It has usable built in effects that are just enough to polish your sound a bit. Simple setup nice reverb for vocal and guitar..plus get a a combo deal with a senheiser e835 and stand for free from sweet water or others

I seldom play acoustic, and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do as a live act. I'd actually prefer a duo configuration with either another guitar or a keyboard. Also, given the venues around here, the music won't be very "rockish", so I'm not worried about high distortion profiles.

• Re question on connections for voice solo, I have tried both the headphone and the monitor out and either one works quite well as the aux on the Voice Solo mixes to mono anyway

Dan