1954 stratocaster

• Sorry

Coulnd't resist to put this video here

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Can any on new strats sound so? Or I am just impressed by 60 years old instrument?

• No biggie, but the guy in the video says it's actually a '64.
    Either way, It'd make a fine addition to anyone's collection. :D

He says at beginning it's 54. Then he adds adnotation somewhere in the video that he had mistaken twice saying it's 64. It is 1954 with serial no 0930. LOL Fender assumed to manufacture 9999 guitars then? So it is no biggie? This sound? Just the amp and dynamic playing?

Edited once, last by skoczy ().

• In the video, you are hearing a classic Blackface sound. BUT, you are also hearing a lot of compression - it was either added post-microphone while recording, or in post production for the video. Without it, it would be more dynamic, but still the same sound.

Low output single coils, with the guitar turned down a bit + a Super Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb = this sound pretty easily. The rest of it is a player who is used to playing this way. A loud amp, a light to medium legato touch, leaning harder into some notes.

It doesn't HAVE to be an old strat, or a new one with aftermarket pickups, BTW.

• [quote='carsnguitars58','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/17447-1954-stratocaster/?postID=183901&#post183901']He says at beginning it's 54. Then he adds adnotation somewhere in the video that he had mistaken twice saying it's 64. It is 1954 with serial no 0930. LOL Fender assumed to manufacture 9999 guitars then? So it is no biggie? This sound? Just the amp and dynamic playing?

Ooops...Missed that!
    IMO it's mainly the feel/action of these guitars that'll make it worth investing in. (if at all)

As others have said, driving it through the right amp makes a world of difference too.
    Don't know what he's asking for it, but a pretty nice find in that condition for it's age.

Happy Kemper

• I don't know about most guys, but I love seeing all of that "real" (not "relic'd") play wear! There's a reason for all of that wear (it's just a great guitar)! Although my grandmother's name was Beulah, so I guess I would be partial to this guitar anyway... :)

Also, if you happen to have a spare $79,000 laying around (:D), there is an absolutely beautiful 1955 all original Strat on TGP right now.

• I had the (dis)pleasure to play an original '57 strat recently. Apart from the horrendous smell (really!), it was horrible to play. All Fenders back then had the sharp V profile neck, which is extremely uncomfortable, if you've learned to play guitar post 1960. They might sound great, but they are a very acquired taste, playability-wise.