Vintage Italian GEM AMP - Mars G30 - PZM profiling

• Hi !

I just had the opportunity to take an old vintage amp from the closet, in order to profile it.

While meeting IRL with Mr Vivz (another french user in my area) , we did a few profiling tests. We'll use a SM57 next time.

for this session we did also test the PZM realistic mike I bought a few months back, using a front positioning and also a floor one.

the results are interesting, very close to the actual amp.

The amp is an old Italian GEM Mars G30 tube amp with two small tubes and over sized components 12" cab , with solid state preamp, giving a very straight clean tone, with some unusual very big basses. Some folks says it's similar in tone with a vox AC15.

here is a complete german description I fount on the net ( with lots more pics )

There are 2 channels on the amp with unusual EQ on channel 1 (1 pot for middle/basses ), both were used in the profiling session. This kind of amp can be used for whatever instrument you plug in : bass,vox,guitar,keys...

We did profile with a musicman , a strat , and my jazzbox. Some profiles were adjusted to the actual amp tone, and I also made some rigs out of it, they will be uploaded on the rig Ex with a proper tagging ASAP.

here is a pic of this amp (not mine)

[Blocked Image: http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2014/06/16//140616094558482242.jpg]

• 3 profiles UP on the rig ex - they are very raw :) the PZM did a very good job in capturing the actual tone

GEM Mars G30
    clean comp - this one is at the edge of breakup , I leave the comp ON on this one, it's better
    full clean - this one is really bassy and full
    dry - I think you got the idea ;) cool for funk riffing

• yep the gain is the actual one I got while profiling , I should have lowered the gain to get the real clean tone, but we profiled with the amp pretty crancked , so I left it on the raw settings to get the full picture.

Anyway just dial the gain down ,up the vol and you'll get the exact chime of this amp.

I still not figured out why the amps & cabs tags do not appear under my name though...