Stereo Phase Dual Mono Reverb

• It would be really nice to be able to have a stereo phase control on the Kemper, especially for the wet portion of reverb.

Inverting the phase of one channel going into a dual mono reverb (as I assume even the phase of one channel of the reverb itself) results in an effect that doesn't make the sound move back in a mix, in fact it places the sound as if it's reflecting behind the listener, comb cutting some of the mids for more space, almost bringing the mixed sound closer and more up front, while still keeping the reverb effect there.

If you've not tried the experiment yourself here's a video covering how to do it in your DAW and showing some examples. It would be super sexy to have this sort of reverb sound built into the Kemper.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sweet, thanks.

Sound Engineer, Musician, Animal Rights Activist.

Fender '89 Clapton Strat, EMG DG20, KPA, Martin, SSL, Neve, Manley, Tube-Tech, Millennia, API, Lynx, RME, Avid, Apple, Adam...

• I have to disappoint you.
    The reverb this gentlemen has used in this video is not state of the art. You can hear easily that it does not provide a strong stereo effect, it sounds close to mono.
    When you flip the phase of one side, then you get a spacial effect.

A state of the art reverb such as the Profiler reverb is much more decorelated and thus gives a wider spacial sound by nature.
    When you flip the phase, you gain nothing.

I just tried it with the Profiler reverb by quickly changing the code. When you flip the phase, there is absolutely no difference in the stereo wideness.

• I have to disappoint you.
    The reverb this gentlemen has used in this video is not state of the art. You can hear easily that it does not provide a strong stereo effect, it sounds close to mono.
    When you flip the phase of one side, then you get a spacial effect.

A state of the art reverb such as the Profiler reverb is much more decorelated and thus gives a wider spacial sound by nature.
    When you flip the phase, you gain nothing.

I just tried it with the Profiler reverb by quickly changing the code. When you flip the phase, there is absolutely no difference in the stereo wideness.

It's not so much the width of the sound as the proximity and general characteristic of the sound. He's using a dual mono reverb, as far as I can tell that basically splits the signal to left/right two separate mono reverbs with the same parameter settings panned hard left and hard right so there's no spill in the stereo field.

So yes it's "dumb" primitive version of stereo, but the resulting effect with the phase inversion on input is you gotta admit very cool! (or at least I think so)

The natural comb filtering I guess is subtly subtracting the predominant frequencies of the input source, and to me it sounds like it puts the reverb behind the listener which makes it seem like a reflection off a wall behind you and so the main signal actually somehow sounds closer as if your head were the microphone. I don't think it makes any difference to the stereo width/space though, and I'm not sure it would be so great on a stereo source.

• This trick is as old as stereo recording and very simple to make with arbitrary signals or effects.
    However it is not available on a single effects unit and not applied on a recording that we know.
    Simply because if you listen in mono, the signal is fully canceled out.

• Hey! Not all of us have been around since before Les Paul invented the second rock to hit the first rock with, literally inventing rock :P

The trick might be old, but it's new to me and I think to lots of other guitarists too. I get why it's not commonly used though, what you said makes sense. However I'd still love to hear it over a big stereo PA sometime, and I still just love the sound of the Kemper reverb over my DAW's reverbs sometimes and it would be neat to have that trick there - although you know, spring verb option too (waggles eyebrows).

• Hey! Not all of us have been around since before Les Paul invented the second rock to hit the first rock with, literally inventing rock :P

The trick might be old, but it's new to me and I think to lots of other guitarists too. I get why it's not commonly used though, what you said makes sense. However I'd still love to hear it over a big stereo PA sometime, and I still just love the sound of the Kemper reverb over my DAW's reverbs sometimes and it would be neat to have that trick there - although you know, spring verb option too (waggles eyebrows).

A large percentage of PA systems are run in mono (so entire the crowd can all hear the same thing). This would also be of unpredictable usefulness for live gigs, too.

• Although as they usually take a single channel for mono rather than doing stereo summing you'd still have reverb, not that you'd actually want it in a really large venue, and even if you did it would sound quite different to how you heard it last time in a stereo situation. So still useless there.