[FIXED] Mobile forum not scrolling on Chrome for Android

• When I visit the forum on Chrome (Beta) for Android, the (visible portion of the) page renders correctly but I can only scroll a few lines down (edit -- actually I can only push the Chrome search bar off screen; once the page fills the screen, it's stuck). The rest of the page stays out of reach.

This doesn't happen with any other websites.

• Am I still the only one with this problem?

Chrome Beta renders the whole page perfectly; it just won't scroll at all beyond the initial window (there's some margin of movement as the Chrome search bar is pushed offscreen).

By using "search in page" I can navigate to other parts of the page, so as a workaround I just search for a common letter ("e") and skip from result to result. Not optimal. :)

I've reported the problem through Chrome's bug report but I wonder if perhaps there's something wrong with the mobile forum template... since the Kemper forum is the only website where this problem occurs.

PS -- I've now gone back to the non-beta version of Chrome and there the mobile forum scrolls normally.

• PS -- I've now gone back to the non-beta version of Chrome and there the mobile forum scrolls normally.

About a day after I went back to the non-beta version of Chrome, a new update came in through the Play Store and now the non-beta version has the issue too. I would expect a lot more users to experience it now. Anyone else?

• Same issue here. I'm using -

Chrome version (android): 40.0.2214.89
    Android OS: 4.4.2
    java script version: V8 3.30.33.15

All other forums (different sites) seem to work. Issue only present with KPA forum running in mobile mode.

Hope it helps with the bug hunt!

• Yes, quite frustrating. Especially since I'd finally escaped this bug by going back to the non-beta, only to be overtaken by the latest update!

I've filed a number of bug reports in Chrome as well, as I'm not sure where the problem lies -- Chrome itself or the forum's mobile theme. Although this is the only place where I've ever seen this happen...

By the way, another way of getting around the page is post by post. If you click on the post time (usually a date or something like "yesterday" or "an hour ago"), the page reloads at that post. That way, by repeatedly tapping on the post time for the next post, you can slowly read a thread. If a post is too long to reach the next post, I use the "search in page" trick.

Again: not optimal! :) Let's hope the added exposure of this bug getting into the official Chrome version leads to a quicker solution.

• according to Kemper support the forumsoftware has been untouched.. so it definitely is something that has changed in Chrome.
    *very* irritating and inconvenient indeed... let's hope a solution can be found quickly, either by Google or otherwise by the forum sw.
    (meanwhile accustomizing to FF - maybe sticking to that browser anyway :-))

• Yes, the fact that the problem existed only in Chrome Beta at first and then came to the official channel in an update points in the direction of a Chrome problem as well. Although it's still possible there was an existing incompliance in the forum software that only came to light with the more recent versions of Chrome...

Anyway, I guess it's worth a try to post bug reports in Chrome in the hope of reaching critical mass and being noticed by the Chrome devs.

• The problem occurs in the Android version of Chrome, so no windows or compatibility mode there. Clearing the cache doesn't help, unfortunately.

Edit -- I've filed a Chrome bug report. Let's hope they pick it up.

Edit 2 -- I also noticed there's no scroll bar here on my phone. On other websites, Android Chrome usually has a kind of scroll bar at the right edge of the page that isn't functional in that you can't grab and drag it, but just serves as a visual indication of where you are in a page. Over here on the Kemper forum, I don't see it.

• My Chrome bug report (see link in previous post) got some replies.

Apparently there's an "overflow-y: hidden" statement in the forum css that causes this and should be removed (an exception needs to be made for Safari where, according to another user, removing it breaks the site).

This is what the Chromium dev said:

Mobile version of http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum specifies overflow-y: hidden on the body element. The standard specifies this CSS property should prevent scrolling and we implemented that in Chrome 40. The site can fix it by removing that CSS.

I've submitted this info through the Kemper contact form as well.

• Hey G String, thanks for pointing me in that direction! I just noticed that they released a patch very recently that sounds like it should address this issue ("Fixed Chrome on Android unable to scroll if an element with position: fixed is visible").

Other than this scrolling problem, I love the way the forum works, by the way. Pretty impressive how fluidly it adapts to different screen sizes and interfaces.