Low budget FRFR live monitor - again!

• Make sure you set the Profiler's monitor output level pretty high and the level on the DXR10 lower. Amplifying a weak signal introduces noise. Basic rule: Strong source signal -> less amplification (less noise) ;)

Always true, regardless the DXR's intrinsic high noise threshold.

Also, I've seen that the cab accepts mics as well. Be sure to not use the "mic mode", whatever it is, which amplifies muchmore and generates a lot more hiss

• Make sure you set the Profiler's monitor output level pretty high and the level on the DXR10 lower. Amplifying a weak signal introduces noise. Basic rule: Strong source signal -> less amplification (less noise) ;)

That was not the problem. Thanks anyways. I did not track it down finally yet. My second try (another 3 minutes) was: power on Kemper & DXR. Play --> Good. Switch on another power distributor. Noise on as well. Switch off: Noise still there. Therefore I will check tomorrow again what may cause the noise...

• Meanwhile, I got my DXR10 and I'm very satisified with it so far. I'm thinking about getting a second one...
    Ingolf: Which TS-TS Cable do you use ? And have you tried to connect one of the DXRs to the left XLR-output and the other one to the right xlr-output ? I think that would be the way I'd try it first....

• Meanwhile, I got my DXR10 and I'm very satisified with it so far. I'm thinking about getting a second one...
    Ingolf: Which TS-TS Cable do you use ? And have you tried to connect one of the DXRs to the left XLR-output and the other one to the right xlr-output ? I think that would be the way I'd try it first....

I use normal TS-TS cables.
    XLR in my case always goes to FOH.

• Xlr would be preferred but gets used for foh and ts to monitor unlinked so I can grab the knob and turn up if required. I get everything else back from front of house via the reversed Xlr as well. Turn volume on Dxr way down and signal up as mentioned

• @Ingolf: What is the output you're using on your Kemper? Monitor out? And what input on your DXRs?
    Headphone out to DXR seems to be fine.

I'm using monitor out to the DXR line in (2nd input). I'm dialing the volume knob on the DXR not above 10:00 which is already very very loud when I'm sending -15 dB to the DXR from the profiler.

• Thanks Ingolf. Some things still strange. Part of the Problem has been a cable. I had no issues with that cable as an instrument cable so far.

Some of the nosie I noticed came from the DXR. It was like some of the digital stuff went cracy...

Main Outs connected to FOH and the TS-Outs to my In Ear Amp. And I like to change monitor volume with the master knob as well. :)

Edit: just to be precise: Cable has been only a part of the problem.

Edited once, last by TomR ().

• Quote from TomR: “<a href="http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/User/22822-Ingolf/">@Ingolf</a>: What is the output you're using on your Kemper? Monitor out? And what input on your DXRs?
    Headphone out to DXR seems to be fine.”

I'm using monitor out to the DXR line in (2nd input). I'm dialing the volume knob on the DXR…

Can anyone explain to me how to determine on what level the output level should be set?
    I put my monitor level out to 0 % (as a default it is set at -37.5 dB), and this did a great job for minimising the "hiss" on the monitor out.

• First of all think of the Kemper and the DXR as ONE unit that should give you a certain max volume.
    Decide on how loud you will go on a given occasion.

Now when you've decided that, turn down the DXR first. Then set the Monitor Out to max. And with Monitor Out at max, turn up the DXR until you reach the max volume you'll need.

When you're done adjusting your max volume, feel free to turn down Monitor Out on the Kemper a bit when needed.

• Long time no see!

I found a nice deal for an Alto TS112 V2 about a month ago, and decided to give it a try. Man, couldn't be happier! Sounds great at any volume, fits nicely in our live setup etc. Took it home for the Holidays to tweak my live tones 100% perfect for the next run of gigs next year.

Happy Holidays people!

• the small MA120 mk II sounded almost exactly the same as the 3 times more expensive Proel WD. Both

I decided not to use expensive high quality monitoring.
    In the band live situation I heard hardly a difference between my Behringer B210 to the Mackie SRM 450 V3 of my colleague, I once have tried.
    And I save important 8 Kg. :D

Cheers Harry

• @14trd

The monitor output on my KPA is around -15, in live situations the level on my DXR10 is around -8. I have zero hiss and if I have to turn it up I can without any hiss. At 700W I don't need much volume. So at sound check I will sit the DXR upright so I can easily adjust the volume, when I get it where I need it and lay it on the side facing me.

• +1.
    @14trd, if you use a passive unit it's actually the other way round. Outputting -35 dB will oblige you to raise the power amp (the most noisy block in this scenario) volume\gain. Outputting a more robust signal allows to use a lower amplification factor on the cab, resulting in a cleaner signal and a higher headroom.

-15/-20 dB is the attenuation value most advise for in order to drive an active cab. You can go even higher if you can properly set the poweramp's input gain. Rule of thumb, generate a louder signal in the most silent part of your sound chain, in order to have the most noisy one amplify less :)

HTH