Recording bass - boomy notes - any advice?

• Yeah, the problem with eq-based room treatment is that you're trying to manage a time-related issue with a non-time related tool. A really bad-sounding room would most probably sound better than before nevertheless, but you've not really solved the issue, specially at the low frequencies, whose resonances establish in a long(er) time frame. Eq acts immediately.

• One thing you can try is the Alvin Lucier "I'm sitting in a room" thing.... essentially record the resonances, play them back and record that... and play that back.... and that will help you dial into the resonances of the room, and find out where the problems are. It can work quite well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Sitting_in_a_Room

I might just cave and buy all my stuff through GIK. Mainly because I value my time more than my money, and DIY'ing it is hassle for me. But I've not moved into my new flat yet. Once I do, I can know what problems I face.

• Thanks for the suggestions here.
    @drew_dx

I’d never heard of this before certainly sounds an interesting concept. I just wonder however how this differs with a sine sweep analyzed in REQ5? My mids and highs are by no means flat and if I remember correctly there were some frequencies that appear to be poking out at a doubling of frequency but also the harmonics. Most problematic is a deep null around the 50 – 70Hz range which as you can imagine is causing me great problem mixing the low end. Whilst I don’t understand much of what I have read it seems there may be some destructive interference going on
    Knowing that is great but how to treat beyond what I have already done is my current issue.

I may just as a test make some radical changes to the position of the desk which currently has the monitors 1/3 distance from front wall. If I can start to see some corresponding radical changes to the waterfall plot in REQ5 it may just help me hone in on the best monitor position. That’s being the surprising thing for me with REQ5 in that the small changes I have been making with the monitor position, desk and traps haven’t really altered the low end null to any great extent. Perhaps this means there is such a strong resonance that with the current orientation of my desk my changes aren’t able to overcome the fundamental resonance?

@ Michael_dk Thanks for your kind offer. I’ll do some more experimentation and run some more analysis but I do have some REQ5 files from the last batch of tests which I could provide a link if you are still happy to cast an eye over. They all demonstrate the same sort of problem so any one of the many I did should give a pretty good overview. I’ll post back with the link once I work out this drop box link thing.

• Try shifting your listening position (i.e. moving the measurement mic) instead of the monitors first - it's much easier :) I didn't get nearly as big a result moving monitors - biggest impact was moving myself. maybe you'll be able to shift that desk closer to the wall without noticable detriment.

Are your monitors on stands or on your desk? Stands are nice because you can move them independently.

Also, how are you situatied in the room? the monitors should fire along the length of the room (i.e. desk should be along the shorter wall). Also, usually, it is best to be in the center of the short wall.

• Yup. Always going to be a certain amount of compromise. I don't even know the dimensions of my upcoming room yet (we're buying the flat off-plan and have no details at all!) so it could be a disaster... hopefully not though!

Stands are a must in small rooms imho. Desks are too resonant.

• What volume level are you monitoring your work?

Problem rooms do not improve with the application of "louder".

Any well recorded commercial releases which are similar material to what's being recorded will show frequency issues if the culprit is the room rather than particular instrument eq miscalculations.

Don't spend money to fix what can be corrected other ways. Make certain the culprit is the room. Unless you are doing movie soundtrack mixes, don't use a sub speaker/speakers. Use the right size monitor speakers for the distance you are from them.

Monitor at the lowest volume that get great results. Be advised that I can't stress this enough.

there's more to consider but there isn't enough info for definitive answers. One person's "boom" can be another person's too much bass and vice versa.

Having a better idea of the actual frequency range of the issue is pretty key to getting the better advice.

The longer you monitor at higher than necessary volumes can "flatten" your hearing response and the danger is inching louder and louder looking for better. The result is generally worse and worse in actuality.Turning the overall volume of what is being monitored will NOT resolve a room related issue.

Try to determine if the "boom" changes depending on the key of the song being recorded.

Keep in mind that a room need not be "perfect". I can't tell you how many supposed "acoustically perfect" venues quickly sound horrid with certain material played, or volume levels that the room simply won't support.

A great room is one where the mix is good without regard to where recorded material take elsewhere to be listened to. The best places to record and mix allow whats done to easily translate in other monitoring situations.

Perhaps using some saturation in the form of a plugin might go a long way to better audibility for bass guitar parts. Maybe see if this freebie plug might be of use: http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=satknob It's not a magic bullet, but some material benefits from some harmonic complexity
    assistance on bass guitar.