CLR Active Wedge Review

• Ok, so the day's festivities have come to a close and I got a chance to plug in the CLR and flip the switch.

Set-up was super easy: My Kemper rigs are all at 12:00 for rig volume, so I set the Kemper Master Volume at 4.0 as the max signal strength per the CLR instructions.

I then strummed while raising the input volume knobs on the CLR and then backed off when the clipping light came on. For me that's 1:00 on Input #1 and 2:00 on Input #2. I'm using two XLR cables.

Then I set CLR Master Volume so that the top of the white line on the knob is even with the bottom of the second dot. I then backed down my Kemper Master Volume to 1.7, which is plenty loud for apartment dweller practice. This way if I want it louder (or lower) I can adjust the Kemper Master Volume instead of having to do it on the CLR.

After all of this I quickly confirmed what I expected: this beast has the accuracy of studio monitors with the juice of an amp and an incredible horizontal range.

I compared the sound to studio monitors a buddy loaned me and the response is exact. Exact! But of course with the CLR you don't need to keep your head still.

If you are on the fence about getting one, and it's a flat studio monitor type response you want with some BOOM, and I mean BOOM, then this thing is what you need. I'm running it at the very low end of it's volume potential, but a quick turn of the unit's Master Volume knob revealed this thing is capable of blasting the paint off the walls if that's what you're after.

Worth absolutely every penny and I owe everyone on here a big thank-you for talking this thing up because the hype is 100% justified, and more.

• If I don't get a power amp for the back of mine like the K-power amp soon I'll be getting the CLR. Though I want to use my 4x12 or 2x12, I believe the CLR will fit nicely.
    Thanks for the review.

• Hey PB26!
    I'm sure, you'll have a lot of fun with your CLR. I love mine (got the cab version).
    What I don't get is: you go from the Kemper into the inputs one and two of the CLR at the same time? What for? Am I missing something?

• Hey PB26!
    I'm sure, you'll have a lot of fun with your CLR. I love mine (got the cab version).
    What I don't get is: you go from the Kemper into the inputs one and two of the CLR at the same time? What for? Am I missing something?

That's what I'm interested in too.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Hey PB26!

That's what I'm interested in too.

The reason for that is I'm using MP3 backing tracks from my computer that go through the Kemper via the two Alternative Input jacks, then out to the CLR together with the guitar signal. When I got on the waiting list for the CLR I asked guys on the forum the best way to set it up and Ingolf and viabcroce agreed 2 XLRs was the best way to go. Check out the first three posts here:

http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…ctive-monitors/?pageNo=4&

• The reason for that is I'm using MP3 backing tracks from my computer that go through the Kemper via the two Alternative Input jacks, then out to the CLR together with the guitar signal. When I got on the waiting list for the CLR I asked guys on the forum the best way to set it up and Ingolf and viabcroce agreed 2 XLRs was the best way to go. Check out the first three posts here:

Connecting Kemper to active monitors

Yeah, for this scenario it makes perfect sense.