For live purposes: "Profiler + Guitar Cab" OR "Profiler + Active/Passive FRFR"?

• I've profiled all amps I use with the new method and I've adjusted each amp through the same (slightly modified) Marshall 4x12 cab.
    A different cab might be a better choice for some amp types(e.g. Fender, Vox), but in my opinion you always compensate a little for the cab's characteristics when you're adjusting an amp to it.

Yes I hear differences between the amps and I use the same (once merged) cab preset in all rigs so that the FOH basically gets the same cab that I hear on stage but with the flavour of a SM57/AKG414 microphone mix.
    IMHO This is probably the most accurate way of using different profiles with the same guitar cabinet on stage, what do you guys think?

• The obvious answer is... Both! :) I use both Yamaha dxr 12s and and an ISP poweramp with a 2x12. Sometimes just frfr, sometimes cab and monitors, all depends. I'm so comfortable with my profiles and know exactly how I sound out front, that having the "real" cab on stage whether it's accurate or not to the FOH is kind of like icing on the cake. All comes down to how well you know what you sound like out front in my opinion. If you are comfortable with your profiles and know what you sound like, still hard to beat an amp on stage as well to go along with your monitors.

• Direct to PA and Shure SE425 IEMs for me...no cab on stage

(PEDALBOARD): Kemper Stage, Shure GLXD-16 wireless, JHS A/B Switch, SoloDallas Storm, Keeley Halo, Mission Engineering EP-1 KP, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, Pedaltrain-3 board

• Well I tried to like FRFR! After going the Yamaha PA speaker route (harsh and "horny" - and not in the best way), I built myself a 2 x 12 full range cab (see pic). It was originally a Marshall 1936 closed back and after doing some research, I removed the speakers and put in two Eminence Beta 12CX Coaxial's with ASD1001 compression drivers. I bi-wired these and powered them from a Crown XLS 1000 which has a 350w output x 2 and an excellent phase correct active crossover function. I tried the new speaker out with some recorded music and the Kemper and the results were encouraging at normal room listening levels. Although I did find I had to adjust for the different character of the sound delivery somewhat and of course balance the level to the HF drivers. With two HF drivers in such close proximity there is some comb filtering apparent with this set up but I find most folks ears compensate for this and it's not really a problem in "real life".

The problem came when using this set up at rehearsal. We are a 5 piece playing classic rock at the usual levels (i.e. pretty loud). No matter how I tried, I couldn't get my guitar to cut through the overall sound. Actually that's not quite true - if I maxed out the Crown to seriously high output levels, I could now hear my guitar. Problem is, the sound was harsh, toppy and quite frankly horrible. After two attempts on different nights I gave up and was disappointed to say the least as I'd spent quite a lot of time and effort constructing the rig. I have been using a Randall RM50 2 x 12 for rehearsals prior to this so this morning I plugged the Kemper into the effects return (monitor out - cab off) and set it up side by side with the FR cab. I set the sound levels approx the same and the difference was night and day. The Randall sounded visceral and muscular with rich harmonics pouring out, whilst the FR cab sounded one dimensional and sterile. Sadly I've come to the conclusion that I'll be sticking to a "real" amp and cab for the foreseeable future as I clearly belong to the trouser flapping brigade. I know I'll be sacrificing some sonic flexibility in this but if the sound is so good then TBH, I don't much care.

Interesting that I seem to be in the minority when rejecting FRFR but just thought I'd chime in with my findings.

• You're not alone JonnyB. I don't care for the so-called FRFR. I have a 2x12 and a 1x12 I built and it cuts through much better in my band. Also my band mates like the traditional cab much better. FOH I run an XLR out and it sounds great.

• I use a 2x12 cab now. One with Scumback H75 65 watt and one with vintage 30.
    After 1 year of trying a CLR passive cab and a 2x12 passive Xitone cab. I just prefer my traditional guitar cabs in a live setting. I sold both my FRFR cabs and just bought a PRS Archon 25 combo.
    Yes I still like my tube amps(1986 Marshall JCM800 2203 red tolex with 4x12 cab and now the PRS) and I love my KPA. Best of both worlds.

• Here's the gear shots of my band, Dream Overkill at our first gig with the KPA rigs:

Shaun's rig consists of a Power Rack into an unpowered Yamaha CBR 10 cabinet. This cab is a new offering from Yamaha and is only about £175, making it a really good choice for an FRFR rig. He is using a Line 6 Radio system (Relay G30 that used to be on his old pedalboard) velcro'd into the base of a 4U rack box with the KPA.

My rig is using the Yamaha DXR10 powered cab (Easy to see because we had left the stickers on!). At 1100W it has plenty of power available. Also in the rack is a Line 6 Relay G55 rackmounted radio system. We play pretty loud and both rigs push out enough for our needs and balance pretty well.
    Note: The DXR 12 system does have more power, so has more headroom available but BOTH can get to high volumes.

We also both have Foot Controllers. This particular venue is very small so we didn't need the Radio systems but wanted to test everything out in a good friendly place! :)

The Sound Guy was a bit unsure about the KPA Main Out being linked direct to the PA system, but was happy to try it when we told him we had set the feeds to -16dB and unlinked them from our Master Volume so we could turn up or down our speakers without affecting the feed to the PA.

The Gig was a great success! Everybody said it was the best sound we had ever had in this place (The Winchester Gate pub in Salisbury-great little venue with good beer) and the Sound Guy was amazed and totally won over. The sound in the room was just awesome! Both cabs spread the sound much wider onstage than we used to get with our guitar cabinets, so onstage sound was better for all of us.

Mr Kemper's little box of genius just keeps on winning people over!

Pics by John Egremont