Kemper with x32

• Yep. I have a stereo pair setup on the X32 that I run 2 XLR outs from my Kemper. It works very well.

These are my favorite 2 pieces of gear btw (X32 Rack, and Kemper). It is truly a great time in live music. Lots of changes for the better!

• thanx for the answers , we will use x32 for both recording and live use next year so it was useful information

• You don't need to spend two XLR inputs, I'd suggest to route these to the FOH and use the AUX inputs - so you don't need to split the signals...

Split ?

You can indeed use the mono AUX-ins which are balanced TRS, You may even try to run the unbalanced outputs from the KPA directly to the AUX-ins (with potential noise), but I would recommend a pair of XLR->1/4"TRS adapter cables. If there are no channels available to route the signals into you are stuck with the limited processing on the X32s AUX-ins (no noise-gate or dynamics) but that isn't a big issue with the KPA. Worse is if you're using a X32 console at FOH with digital stageboxes (S16), in which case none of the AUX-ins are available on stage. XLR-XLR OTOH will work with any X32 system configuration.

• Hello.

My soundman has the X32 working fabulously with my Kemper -- glorious stereo. The real kicker, however, is that he has stereo sub pair coming out of the matrix that, in tandem with the X32 software available for Apple iPad, I can fine tune my IEM mix from the stage. It is the cat's meow. Highly recommended!

Best,

Doug

• My soundman has the X32 working fabulously with my Kemper -- glorious stereo.

I've got a X32 myself and I mostly agree. There is however a slight issue with linked (stereo) channels on the X32 when they are routed to a single/mono bus that for example goes to a single wedge monitor. In this case the X32 blends the two channels which makes some of the most glorious stereo-effects sound like <beep>. The only way around that is to unlink the two channels and handle panning and separate levels manually. Then you can choose to only send one side of the stereo signal to a mono destination which in some cases sounds a lot better than L/R blended. It is btw not only the X32 that has this problem. Even some $20k+ digital consoles has similar issues.

• Heldal.

I suspect you are correct. As I have continued utilizing the IEMs with the X32. Somehow, in this incarnation of the X32 Mix software for the iPad -- and likely it is also in the X32 mixing matrix, but I cannot say for certain -- some things do not translate well into a stereo soundstage. I believe I have stereo -- but it could be due to the factor that my soundman has my signal going through a reverb and delay effect. Plus, on the iPad software, I do not have panning controls.

So, the sound I am getting is very, very good, clean -- I have found the key to the mix is simply starting fresh and building it up as one likes it -- but the stereo effect I hear may be, as you suggest, Heldal, more the effect of the FX, not a true stereo signal.

Now, having said all that, I am still in love with the IEM monitoring, and the control I have over that monitor mix, via the X32 Mix software for iPad, is truly amazing to me.

Thanks for the comment!

Doug

• I've got a X32 myself and I mostly agree. There is however a slight issue with linked (stereo) channels on the X32 when they are routed to a single/mono bus that for example goes to a single wedge monitor. In this case the X32 blends the two channels which makes some of the most glorious stereo-effects sound like <beep>. The only way around that is to unlink the two channels and handle panning and separate levels manually. Then you can choose to only send one side of the stereo signal to a mono destination which in some cases sounds a lot better than L/R blended. It is btw not only the X32 that has this problem. Even some $20k+ digital consoles has similar issues.

This isn't really an "issue with the console". Its just what happens when you turn a stereo signal into a mono one.

• This isn't really an "issue with the console". Its just what happens when you turn a stereo signal into a mono one.

I have no problem with digital consoles offering to link channels for stereo-pairs, but it is a problem when you're not able to pick just one of the channels in a linked pair to send to a mono-destination such as a single wedge on stage. Guitars with lots of stereo-effects sound glorious through the FOH-rig, but complete crap on stage in such a setting. A good console doesn't treat stereo (FOH) and mono (stage monitors) destinations alike.

• I have no problem with digital consoles offering to link channels for stereo-pairs, but it is a problem when you're not able to pick just one of the channels in a linked pair to send to a mono-destination such as a single wedge on stage. Guitars with lots of stereo-effects sound glorious through the FOH-rig, but complete crap on stage in such a setting. A good console doesn't treat stereo (FOH) and mono (stage monitors) destinations alike.

Not sure i'm with you? All consoles will have mono and stereo channels surely. If you want to separate out the L+R channels of the KPA, plug them into 2 mono channels? Then you can send one to stage monitors and both to FOH.

• Not sure i'm with you? All consoles will have mono and stereo channels surely.

Sure but it differ how they treat the signals. Take the two (X32 and high-end Soundcraft console) I use regularaly as an example:

Both offer channel linking which mean that the channels are automatically panned L/R and controls such as gate, dynamics and EQ are sync'ed. So far so good, but it is only one of the consoles that offer the ability to choose between L, R or blend when the signals are sent to a mono bus. The Behringer X32 and its siblings from Midas (as well as many other sub $5000 consoles) all do blend only. You can not have the channels linked in a pair for the main FOH stereo-bus and treat them as unlinked for a stage monitor or other mono-bus destinations at the same time. The only way to achieve that is to forget about the link functionality in the console and sync all the controls manually. Some consoles offer the ability to choose which parameters to link, but few will let you unselect just the volume levels.

• I am digging out this old thread for I bought an X32 rack to use it as an in-ear and recording solution for my band.
    Well the features are great, but that doesn't make it easy to get started when you can literally do anything with it. But that's another story.

My problem ist this: For testing an getting used to the features of the X32 I hooked it up at my home studio as an interface. I worked on a few unfinished demo songs of the band when I recognized strange frequencies on my Kemper recordings. I recorded and played with this profile with the band a lot since I have the Kemper, but it never sounded like that. It's like a resonance on the lowest string that sound a bit like a flagolet or unmuted upper string. I turned a few eq-knobs and is seemed go away the more I turned up the bass knob on the front of the Kemper.

Well I think it's just the A/D - D/A process of the Midas preamps on the console that's so much better to finally show those frequencies. Did any one of you X32 user ever experience something similar?

• I am digging out this old thread for I bought an X32 rack to use it as an in-ear and recording solution for my band.
    Well the features are great, but that doesn't make it easy to get started when you can literally do anything with it. But that's another story.

My problem ist this: For testing an getting used to the features of the X32 I hooked it up at my home studio as an interface. I worked on a few unfinished demo songs of the band when I recognized strange frequencies on my Kemper recordings. I recorded and played with this profile with the band a lot since I have the Kemper, but it never sounded like that. It's like a resonance on the lowest string that sound a bit like a flagolet or unmuted upper string. I turned a few eq-knobs and is seemed go away the more I turned up the bass knob on the front of the Kemper.

Well I think it's just the A/D - D/A process of the Midas preamps on the console that's so much better to finally show those frequencies. Did any one of you X32 user ever experience something similar?

I'm using the X32 Rack as recording interface as well. I never experienced this.

This sounds like the onset of feedback. Before the bigass howl is produced, some harmonics get more reverbant/resonant/amplified as others, and that kinda sounds like a flageolet.

Probably you did some naughty things with your (aux?) routing. With the layered setup of a X32 (or digital console) its easy to mistake the reverb or monitor sends for main faders and other things. Also, you can have exotic routings in which a bus is routed to a channel (for example when you want the master channel in your ears), but if you then route that channel back to the mixbus it's fed from, you get feedback inside the console.

• Thanks for that insight though I'm not at the console an therefore don't get all of it right now. But strange routings could very well be a case here cause I bought it used perhaps I should reset it first before trying further?

• Thanks for that insight though I'm not at the console an therefore don't get all of it right now. But strange routings could very well be a case here cause I bought it used perhaps I should reset it first before trying further?

I just sent you a PM.
    Definitely do a reset and configure the X32 from scratch.
    Routing is very flexible but can be intimidating at first due to all the possibilities.