• I'm going in circles with this one, so opinions and insights would be most welcome.
    So in the new year a kemper rack unit will be ordered. That leads to a rack case. Whilst l don't play out it will be frequently bounced from A to B and l figure rack is a more secure set up.
    The problem- which one? 3u?4u?6u? Shallow? Normal? High-end?
    Everytime l think l've nailed the decision l see an advantage in another option!
    I should add that I've never racked anything before. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

• Apart from leads and strings, the usual odds and sods, nothing yet. Then l think shallow 3u job done.
    Then in the near future l could maybe see some other toys going in. So maybe a 6u normal? As you say any bigger, or maybe that would be too big?
    Maybe even get another case if the need arises later? I just can't decide on the best route.

• If i was unsure about the future toys i will put in the rack i would prefer at least a 4U rack. Simply because there will be some new toys in the future. Maybe a racktuner or a wireless system or a effects processor or ....

There are so many things i would put into my rack. But for now i am really happy with a 6U normal depth SKB. The plastic isnt too heavy and everything has its place.
    The space in the back is good to keep everything together, so you can carry everything from cables to wireless sender/receiver, tools, spare strings, etc. in one box. Maybe the KFC will fit in there too :rolleyes:

I normally let the back closed after i took everything out and let it stand upright for the use. It´s more comfortable than letting the rack stand on top of an Amp where it can fall down. And the controls are accessible very good.

• I have an upright 4HE rack (feet on the side) which I used for some years for my POD X3 Pro and that really was a great solution. It fitted nicely under my desk and it was very movable and the extra HE was great to handle.

If there would have been a rack-Kemper at the start, I would have prefered it, since the head version is always Kind of "in the way" at my desk or at home in general.

I'd buy 4 HE with the feet on one side to place it upright just like a PC-Tower.

• Thanks for the input so far guys. Some good points to ponder. The KFC is a good one. I think that little wait is coming to an end? And wouldn't it be great if it fits in a rack case? What the KFC and KPA can achieve together will, l think, ultimately determine how my rig will end up. I am leaning toward a full 6u case. I don't think it's too big and as mentioned that extra space will almost certainly come in handy. Also as mentioned, any other toys ( toys for want of a better word, not to imply anything naff), l think l would want wired up in a self contained unit.
    Any other thoughts on this matter would be most welcome. Cheers for reading.

• Originally, I began with a 3U shallow case, but then concluded I couldn't be without an attached power conditioner. The 4U case I use now is just the right balance to suit my needs, but your needs may differ.

It's light enough to tote around for simple headphone use and easily connects to any speaker/board configuration.

Some like to have wireless units tucked in as well, but anything like that will only introduce larger size/greater weight considerations to weigh against.

The good news is all my other processors are all gone now, since the Kemper handles those needs. ;)

Happy Kemper

• I use the SKB Roto rack 4U shallow depth. Recessed handles are nice, the metal for rack attachment is strong, the latches are recessed and the covers have a nice seal on them. Its very light and manageble. I was originally going to get the full depth case but it's way too bulky. I have my Kemper rack and power conditioner/supply mounted. If you have a wireless unit, you might want to buy a 6U.

I had one of the less expensive SKB cases, but did not like the rails or the latches on it. Also looked at the Gator cases, found the latches and covers to be cheap as well.

cheers!

Edited once, last by drog ().

• Having taken all your input, size, weight and convenience into account, l finally went for a shallow 4u skb. Even though l own a tape measure, l was kinda surprised how big that was when l got it. Thank you for the voices of wisdom, stopping me from getting something l would've regretted. Now l have 1u of space to play with. Any suggestions?