recording and DI possibility

• Hi all! Thanks in advance for your help. It's very appreciated.
    I'm doing some research about the possibilities to record our first EP. We play metal. Eb tuning. We want to record DI's for all guitar and bass tracks ourselves and then send them to be reamped (we don't know yet who is going to do this, so feel free to drop some good names too:)).
    We have the following equipment to record the DI's: kemper, Presonus audiobox, DAW. My question is..what are my best possibilties to record quality DI's with this equipment? For best results, do I get a DI box or another interface with SPDIF?

• Hi Anli

first off I know you can get some great result using SPDIF for reamping purposes. My opinion would be if you have the kemper you probably won't want to send the raw tracks off for reamping as the kemper will give you excellent results for both guitars and bass. Give it a go, see what kind of results you get from reamping with the kemper just make sure you have some great profiles as IMO the profile can make or break how pleased you will be with the result :)

• Thx raoul23. So your advice is to get another interface with SPDIF in stead of recording DI the traditional way trough a DI box..about the reamping: actually I want really good profiles of our own rigs in stead of using an existing profile (which are really awesome), because I really want our sound like our fans are used to. Now I don't have the room or the mics to do this kind of high quality profiling. But once I got these custom profiles I will surely reamp everything myself. Or are you saying that I can get really close with an existing profile that's out there?

• If you reamp SPDIF then there is no extra AD/DA conversion so the signal will be the best quality possible.

About profiles I would say that you will defo be able to find a profile of you amps that sound exactly the same either as they are or slightly tweaked. Are you running Rig Manager if not install that and go through Rig Exchange see what you can find. I'm not a metal player but the Lasse profiles that kemper released sound really good I have a lot of clients pick these that are in metal bands. Also TAF done a metal pack which again is very good and these go down well with a lot of my clients :)

• There's many ways to Rome, of course. :)
    But if you decide to record the DI tracks from Direct Output, then make sure you set it to Git Studio ... this gives you a much more robust DI signal at studio line level, not the weak guitar HiZ level. The Git Studio option is highly underrated (or even unknown). With the Kemper Profiler at hand, there's no need for DI boxes or HiZ capable interfaces anymore. Once you get it setup it will make your life so much easier. ;)

• Ok thank you guys! you're a big help. Just trying to get started here with the Kemper. I hope I don't look stupid...before posting here, I read loads of info on the net...
    So I'll go SPDIF. This brings me to my next question. How do I connect the SPDIF with my DAW? Since I don't have the need for the preamps and converters of my presonus audiobox, I still need SPDIF I/O to connect with my PC. What's a good solution for this?
    Thank you!!!

• Ok thank you guys! you're a big help. Just trying to get started here with the Kemper. I hope I don't look stupid...before posting here, I read loads of info on the net...
    So I'll go SPDIF. This brings me to my next question. How do I connect the SPDIF with my DAW? Since I don't have the need for the preamps and converters of my presonus audiobox, I still need SPDIF I/O to connect with my PC. What's a good solution for this?
    Thank you!!!

Does your current interface have SPDIF? If not, you can also reamp using the analog outs with great results. If you insist on SPDIF, you'll need an interface that has the appropriate input/output options. Just remember that you'll have to slave your DAW to the Kemper clock and will therefore only be able to record at 44.1 khz. But if you use analog, you don't have this restriction.

• Hi, yes I thought so that I have to buy another interface if I want to use SPDIF. If I go analog I have everything I need, so I guess I will give that a try first. I saw many people here that were satisfied with the analog DI. And if you set it up to 'gtr analog' it doesn't need extra ADDA conversion too...
    THX

• Hi, yes I thought so that I have to buy another interface if I want to use SPDIF. If I go analog I have everything I need, so I guess I will give that a try first. I saw many people here that were satisfied with the analog DI. And if you set it up to 'gtr analog' it doesn't need extra ADDA conversion too...
    THX

Well, the Kemper is a digital device, so there will be DA conversion when the analog signal is sent from your Kemper and then AD conversion when it goes into your interface. But I think a lot of the concern people have about ADDA is overdone nowadays, where even nominally priced equipment has decent converters for this kind of application. There's unlikely to be much of a difference in sound between reamping by SPDIF and via analog as well and even if there is, it's minimal. I wouldn't worry about this stuff and just get cracking with your record ^^

• Well, the Kemper is a digital device, so there will be DA conversion when the analog signal is sent from your Kemper and then AD conversion when it goes into your interface. But I think a lot of the concern people have about ADDA is overdone nowadays, where even nominally priced equipment has decent converters for this kind of application. There's unlikely to be much of a difference in sound between reamping by SPDIF and via analog as well and even if there is, it's minimal. I wouldn't worry about this stuff and just get cracking with your record ^^

Words to live by! :)