Have amps, will profile the BE100: Lets make some profiles...

• Phase incoherencies and comb filtering from delayed signals are not necessarily one and the same thing. If say the fundamental frequency is 180 degrees out of phase between two mics, you can shift the signal of one of the mics half a wavelength and that solves that. But the harmonics have different wavelengths, and now THEIR phase relationships have changed as well. I don't know, however, if the phase problems with micing guitar cabs are generally just from differences in distance (disregarding the room reflections here). I could imagine that if one mic is angled it would introduce some other phase issues.

There is a trick regarding getting mics phase aligned (maybe?). Pull out the cable from the amp, crank the master volume till you hear the hiss clearly, put on good isolating headphones, flip the polarity on one of the channels and move the mics until the signal is as low as possible (probably won't be gone completely). Then un-flip the channel again and bingo.

• Out of curiosity, what did you do with the mics to get more treble, and what problems did you run into?

I think out of the new batch regarding the AT4040 further back, I prefer the ones 11 and 12 inches back on the AT4040, but I think I like the close-miced ones the best after all.

Great job so far!!!

I tried moving the SM57 closer to the center of the speaker and I tried using the i5 instead of the SM57. But actually the problem I was having was that I was trying to do too many things at once so I kept making stupid mistakes which took all of my time. Next time I will focus on one thing at a time :)

Thanks to you and everyone else for all of the kind words and tips, I'm looking forward to the next profiling session.

• Several people who have tried my profiles have commented that they like the profiles but needed to boost the treble/presence.
    In this session I tried to boost the tone controls on the amp like oozish suggested, and I'm really happy with the results so far, it's more bright and present now.

He basically (correct me if I'm wrong) boosted the bass by 2, treble by 1.4 and pres by 2.

The profiles are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/awa…VpJE_9coQGedN3Pd-1va?dl=0

There are 4 baseline profiles and 4 modified profiles based on oozish's tone settings.
    Here is the breakdown...

BASELINE PROFILES
    HAWP3 BE4 B2M8T5P5 (BE Gain=4 Bass=2 Mid=8 Treb=5 Pres=5)
    HAWP3 BE7 B2M8T5P5 (BE Gain=7 Bass=2 Mid=8 Treb=5 Pres=5)
    HAWP3 HBE4 B2M8T5P5 (HBE Gain=4 Bass=2 Mid=8 Treb=5 Pres=5)
    HAWP3 HBE4 B2M8T5P5 (HBE Gain=7 Bass=2 Mid=8 Treb=5 Pres=5)

MODIFIED PROFILES
    HAWP3 BE4 B4M8T6.5P7 (BE Gain=4 Bass=4 Mid=8 Treb=6.5 Pres=7)
    HAWP3 BE7 B4M8T6.5P7 (BE Gain=7 Bass=4 Mid=8 Treb=6.5 Pres=7)
    HAWP3 HBE4 B4M8T6.5P7 (HBE Gain=4 Bass=4 Mid=8 Treb=6.5 Pres=7)
    HAWP3 HBE7 B4M8T6.5P7 (HBE Gain=7 Bass=4 Mid=8 Treb=6.5 Pres=7)

I'm really liking these new profiles, thanks for the feedback oozish.

I'm having fun so please continue to give me your feedback and requests and we'll try some more profiles :D

And remember, we haven't even tried the FAT, C45 and SAT switches yet, there's still a bunch more tones available in this amp that we haven't even tried yet...

• beautiful.. thanks once more time!! :thumbup:

ps: your first 4 profiles have as the cabinet name Avatar Vintage 112x.. is this an error?

Thanks, the cabinet name is wrong. I intended on using Rig Manager to edit the tags but I was having problems with Rig Manager and then I forgot to edit them manually, sorry about that.

• OK, had some time to play around.

The BE profiles are outstanding. I concur - they're incredibly detailed, very nuanced, very inspiring. I like your ears, a lot.
    A lot of the BE content i've had in the past was trying too hard to emphasize the BE character and ended up slightly ridiculous - this finally feels like an amp.

The first batch of profiles have something awesome in them. A slightly more relaxed midrange and a smoother sound - it gives the BE a slightly more HBE flavor, which is a nice middle-ground between the two. Would love a high-gain (maybe 8 or 9) version of the BE in that initial setup, maybe with a slightly reduced midrange.

As for the last batch, i had to push the mids down as they were a little much - maybe 6 or 7 will do?
    Short of that, the BE came out spectacular, especially in oozish's settings.

I haven't really dug in to the HBEs as of yet, but figured a partial input is better than none. Hope to have some free time tomorrow.
    After trying these, i'd be really excited to hear your take on the Splawn. It's a painfully mis-represented amp in the Kemper realm.

Many, many thanks for these. It's an awesome idea and these came out great

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Thanks for the detailed review, much appreciated. I might have enough time this evening to knock these out, let me confirm what you are asking for. These amp settings are based off of the first batch (HAWP-1) with the changes that you requested (if I understand correctly).

Amp settings...
    HB Gain 8 & 9 (new request)
    Presence = 5
    Bass = 7
    Middle = 6 & 7 (new request)
    Treble = 5.5
    Master = 2
    Voice Switch = Right
    FAT = Off
    C45 = Off
    SAT = Off

Does that sound right? That would only be four profiles which is no problem, I could probably do a few more while I'm at it if you want, just let me know.

• I went ahead and made some profiles based on what I thought Quitty was asking for. I made four profiles as described in my last post, but I also made four more profiles with the same settings except that I moved the Voice switch from the right to the left so you can compare the two settings to get an idea what it does.

The profiles are here along with a text document describing what I did: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eq6…ZSEYPzU2SoEoIYm2Wuba?dl=0

These are the HAWP-4 profiles.

• I also did a quick test of mic positions, I wanted to compare having the SM57 at a 20 degree angle pointed towards the center of the speaker vs. having it at 0 degrees (pointed straight at the speaker). There is a difference, and it might be helpful to hear it for yourself if you haven't tried this already. These profiles are located here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25g…UwE5TaKJnfVgVA2dMfSa?dl=0
    These are the HAWP-5 profiles.

• THESE ARE BONKERS GOOD.

Right now I'm loving phase 4's BE8 B7M6T6P5L. All I did was turn on the Screamer, turn it's tone down just a hair, then add some reverb, and it's just killer. The dynamic response is perfect, as is the SNR.

I can prove it!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sounds great

• Wow, that's pretty cool, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Will try these. What do the SAT, FAT and C45 switches do exactly?

From the user manual:
    VOICE SWITCH: This is a subtle yet effective tonal variance for the BE/HBE channel. Left position is slightly darker with more mids, right position is slightly brighter with a bigger bass.
    FAT SWITCH: Like it says, makes the BE100 sound fatter. Great for single coil pickups.
    C45 SWITCH: This is a custom‐voicing switch for the BE/HBE channel. Turn it on, if you like leave it on. It’s kinda cool.
    SAT SWITCH: Primarily designed to be used in the BE or C45 mode to add gain, compression and saturation. It is normal for the volume level to drop with this switch engaged. Compensate with the amp’s Master volume. (I believe this one adds diode clipping)

I can do some profiles with each switch off and then on to compare them. Or if you have another idea just let me know and we'll give it a try.

• Tim, I will finally get round to trying these out tonight, thank you very much for the time and effort to do this for us.

I wanted to know at the end of all this would you be making any direct profiles or merged profiles using 2.8 for anyone who is using the 2.8 firmware and a guitar cab for live use?

I understand if not, this will take enough of your time up as it i imagine.

• Tim, I will finally get round to trying these out tonight, thank you very much for the time and effort to do this for us.

I wanted to know at the end of all this would you be making any direct profiles or merged profiles using 2.8 for anyone who is using the 2.8 firmware and a guitar cab for live use?

I understand if not, this will take enough of your time up as it i imagine.

Hi Liam, I was planning it at some point. If you want to try a few now we can. It's super easy with the BE100 because it has the perfect line out for making DI profiles.

• From the user manual:VOICE SWITCH: This is a subtle yet effective tonal variance for the BE/HBE channel. Left position is slightly darker with more mids, right position is slightly brighter with a bigger bass.FAT SWITCH: Like it says, makes the BE100 sound fatter. Great for single coil pickups.C45 SWITCH: This is a custom‐voicing switch for the BE/HBE channel. Turn it on, if you like leave it on. It’s kinda cool.SAT SWITCH: Primarily designed to be used in the BE or C45 mode to add gain, compression and saturation. It is normal for the volume level to drop with this switch engaged. Compensate with the amp’s Master volume. (I believe this one adds diode clipping)

I have added this info in your reead me files

thanks another time for your effort, passion, meticulosity ecc.. great!!!! thanks for this workshop on Friedman BE100 :thumbup: and your comparison project you´ve started is also very welcome and appreciated... :)