Have amps, will profile the BE100: Lets make some profiles...

• Hi Liam, I was planning it at some point. If you want to try a few now we can. It's super easy with the BE100 because it has the perfect line out for making DI profiles.

Mate if you have Firmware 2.8 installed on your Kemper don't let me stop you haha or even if you are on 2.7 for some direct only profiles

Go for it definitely, it would be greatly appreciated, as I mainly use my Kemper as an amp head through a "real" cab 80% of the time and I feel the direct profiles sound infinitely superior to studio profiles with the cab driver disabled.

• Will try these. What do the SAT, FAT and C45 switches do exactly?

Give this video from Dave's website a watch as it gives examples of some switch positions.

Be aware that there have modded Marshalls by dave that can feature different additions of the switches and features.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Right Tim I've had a go of these profiles, some of these are amazing! As you mention slightly in your read me's seems that you lost your way a little on made a few errors etc on Phase 2 as the lower gain Phase 1 Profiles are great and the Phase 4 are amazing.

Please hope you don't take any offence to that.

As a metal/rock player who actually prefers a decent amount of mids in their tone I find the profiles in Phase 4 with the MIDS at 7 the best for me although the ones with MID a 6 are great as well. I also really hear and feel the difference between switch L and R. L definitely lends itself to a more modern sound while R is slightly warmer and fatter, a little more full. I can't really decide which I like the most as they are both great for difference purposes.

I will say my favourites from the lot of phase 4 are the higher gain (9):
    HAWP4 BE9 B7M7T6P5L
    HAWP4 BE9 B7M7T6P5R

As for phase 5, I prefer the detail in the top end and high mids from the SM57 0 degrees on axis, just adds that better cut and bite for me.

The dynamic range as mentioned before is excellent on these profiles they really respond to how hard and where you pick, amazing stuff.

I'm looking forward to your next phase, which I assume are to start work on the SAT, c45 and FAT switches and hopefully some more with the HBE channel

Cheers
    Liam

• Haha, no offence taken, I know that I was overwhelmed during the phase 2 session and I should have just walked away and tried again another day :)

Anyway, thanks for your reply. I was thinking of comparing the "SAT, c45 and FAT switches" in the next session. I'm open to suggestions on how to do that if you or anyone has any specific requests such as tone settings, mic placement, etc. Just please be as specific as you can, I want to do exactly what you guys want so the more info you give me the easier it will be to make the profiles.

• Mate if you have Firmware 2.8 installed on your Kemper don't let me stop you haha or even if you are on 2.7 for some direct only profiles

Go for it definitely, it would be greatly appreciated, as I mainly use my Kemper as an amp head through a "real" cab 80% of the time and I feel the direct profiles sound infinitely superior to studio profiles with the cab driver disabled.

Actually, I really do want to make some DI/Merged profiles for this project. I have made a few and to me they work really good but I was planning on doing those last because of the fact that they take a little over twice as long to make compare to a standard profile.

That being said, if you want to test some I'd be happy to make a few, just give me the specifics as best as you can such as the amp settings, mic placement/mix and I'll make some for you all to test and play with.

EDIT: I can tell you this, when the "experimental" firmware was released I made some DI/Merged profiles and they worked perfectly. In fact, the Merged profile with the cab disabled running into my real cab was so close to the real amp that I simply couldn't tell which was which while standing there in the room. So I recorded the full profile, the merged profile and the merged profile with the cab turned off running into my guitar cab, aside from a difference in levels I couldn't tell which was which, it was really cool. But I have not tested this with firmware 2.7.4, I would expect the same results but I have not confirmed this.

Edited once, last by timowens ().

• I wanted to chime in: the profiles you uploaded with my settings are my favorite so far! I'm getting into these latest uploads, so much activity I had to catch up! It's really wonderful we can obtain such high quality stuff for free, so I'm thankful for your efforts and will follow anything/all things you do in the future.

• I wanted to chime in: the profiles you uploaded with my settings are my favorite so far! I'm getting into these latest uploads, so much activity I had to catch up! It's really wonderful we can obtain such high quality stuff for free, so I'm thankful for your efforts and will follow anything/all things you do in the future.

Thank you so much, but the community deserves all of the credit.In fact, your comments resulted in some really nice profiles and they made me rethink the tone settings on the amp, so thank you !!!

I don't know if it will happen, but my hope in starting this project was that we would all walk away with some killer profiles that suit our particular needs, and gain some knowledge along the way. Either way, I know I've learned a few things already :)

• yeah, well maybe not all of the community ;) I'm just along for the ride - I really have no idea how to make this sound any better, but I'm enjoying what you guys are doing! Want to make sure you know I appreciate it.

Seriously? I've listened to your quick little demo quite a few times, and I'm thinking "wow, I don't hear those tones when I'm playing these profiles". Maybe you can share your modified version of the profile? So far we have only talked about the raw amp profiles, but obviously the stomps, reverb and effects can have a huge impact on the end result so please don't hesitate to talk about modifying the profiles, or any other ideas that you might have.

• Actually, I really do want to make some DI/Merged profiles for this project. I have made a few and to me they work really good but I was planning on doing those last because of the fact that they take a little over twice as long to make compare to a standard profile.

That being said, if you want to test some I'd be happy to make a few, just give me the specifics as best as you can such as the amp settings, mic placement/mix and I'll make some for you all to test and play with.

EDIT: I can tell you this, when the "experimental" firmware was released I made some DI/Merged profiles and they worked perfectly. In fact, the Merged profile with the cab disabled running into my real cab was so close to the real amp that I simply couldn't tell which was which while standing there in the room. So I recorded the full profile, the merged profile and the merged profile with the cab turned off running into my guitar cab, aside from a difference in levels I couldn't tell which was which, it was really cool. But I have not tested this with firmware 2.7.4, I would expect the same results but I have not confirmed this.

I'm certain the results with 2.7.4 firmware are not as good for recording direct profiles as 2.8 as the cab driver is still present in 2.7 as part of the overall profile where as 2.8 knows it is a direct profile you are taking and doesn't impart any "cab" at all, although I may be wrong.

I never got a direct line out profile I was happy with till 2.8, where as you say I couldn't really tell the difference between the profile and my real amp. If anything I found the profile contained a little less fizz to me. But please don't let me derail the project with all this talk of direct only or merged profiles however I'll be more than happy to test any direct profiles if you have time and intend to make them during the next profiling session

I think the best thing is everyone chiming in as we have been doing helping getting the profiles better and better listening to the different switches etc through the next few phases and then maybe at the end or later some direct/merged profiles would be perfect.

• I'm certain the results with 2.7.4 firmware are not as good for recording direct profiles as 2.8 as the cab driver is still present in 2.7 as part of the overall profile where as 2.8 knows it is a direct profile you are taking and doesn't impart any "cab" at all, although I may be wrong.

I never got a direct line out profile I was happy with till 2.8, where as you say I couldn't really tell the difference between the profile and my real amp. If anything I found the profile contained a little less fizz to me. But please don't let me derail the project with all this talk of direct only or merged profiles however I'll be more than happy to test any direct profiles if you have time and intend to make them during the next profiling session

I think the best thing is everyone chiming in as we have been doing helping getting the profiles better and better listening to the different switches etc through the next few phases and then maybe at the end or later some direct/merged profiles would be perfect.

I haven't been able to confirm this but it looks like 2.7.4 supports the new DI/Merged profiling. I was planning on trying the option switches on the amp during the next profiling session but if I have time afterwards I'll make a DI/Merged profile for the fun of it.

• I haven't been able to confirm this but it looks like 2.7.4 supports the new DI/Merged profiling. I was planning on trying the option switches on the amp during the next profiling session but if I have time afterwards I'll make a DI/Merged profile for the fun of it.

Excellent, just if you have time please don't put go right out your way right now, as I say checking those switches out next is definitely the right thing to be trying next.

Thanks again

• Just had a little while to jam on phase 4 and 5 of the process.

First, the mids-drop was exactly what i was looking for. It lets more clarity through while leaving the 'grunt' in the low-mids, just as i remembered the amp - especially for humbuckers. With single coils, 8 was fine. With my PAFs, i liked 6 best. I wouldn't go any lower, though.
    As for the modes, i'm not entirely sure myself what i prefer. It's the sort of difference where i'd double-track one of each to fill out the spectrum, and that's a lovely idea.
    Gain-wise, 8 is perfect. 9 starts getting a little mushy.
    These are some of the best profiles i've had in a while - and i've been through a lot. That's some downright great work you're doing there. :thumbup:
    I put a studio EQ post-stack, with a 3dB boost at around 9.5KHz to get a little more 'air' without altering the sound too much.

As for phase 5, i like the on-axis one better, although there's some relaxed high-mids that i really dig in the off-axis version.
    You will lose those on-axis benefits if you go half-way, though, so i'm voting for 0 degrees.
    Which set of settings did you do the 0 degrees off? It's really good.

Anyway, i'm having a ton of fun out here.
    I'm all for the communal concept and will definitely be sharing mine once i get some studio-time, but you should consider a donation button.
    I think you've earned that much.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Thanks for the feedback and kind words. I don't have a need for donations but that is a really nice thought, thank you.

Here are the amps settings (they are also in the readme file in the dropbox folder), the only difference between the two HAWP-5 profiles is the SM57 angle.

Amp settings...
    BE Gain = 8
    Presence = 5
    Bass = 7
    Middle = 7
    Treble = 6
    Master = 2
    Voice Switch = Right
    FAT = Off
    C45 = Off
    SAT = Off

HAWP4 BE8 SM57 20deg (BE channel gain=8, SM57 pointed 20 degrees towards the center of the speaker).
    HAWP4 BE8 SM57 0deg (BE channel gain=8, SM57 pointed 0 degrees or straight at the speaker).

• I tried copying the 0 degrees cab into the phase 4 B7M7T6P5L profile. The result is stunning.

The only thing i'd lack is some more volume.
    Do you think that would be possible, when we're settled on the angles and settings?

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."