Have amps, will profile the BE100: Lets make some profiles...

• Thank You Tim for all this amazing work!

I kind of like the V30 a bit more, I guess it's due to me having V30s in my H&K 4x12 and having tuned my ears to them.

I really liked pairing Your profiled with Guidos Marshall cabs, sounds great! One of the things I love with the KPA is a great profile can capture the roaring, untamed feeling of a dimed tube amp, and play it back at bedroom levels. And Your latest profiles really captures this amp really cooking... :thumbup:

• Hey Tim, are the Rigs you uploaded to the Exchange on the 10th unique or are they gleaned from sessions you've already shared?

Thanks mate. Take your time.

Hey Monkey_Man, those were actually based off of the H53 profiles, all I did was clean up the rig tags so hopefully they make sense. I've been having good luck with those merged profiles while playing live with a real guitar cab and I figured it was time to post something on the rig exchange. I guess I should have posted a note here, thanks for catching that.

• Hey Tim, thank you for getting back to me mate.

I've stuffed up in the meantime by dragging those Rigs into my Tim pool and backing up, figuring they were indeed unique because RM allowed me to add them.

Now, Tim... I mean, time to go fishin' in the Tim Pool™...

• The batch of profiles date May 9th 2016 - Dirty Shirley and Friedman BE100 - sound absolutely great with my SSH guitars. Fantastic results with the Avatar Cab/Royer/SM57 - both speakers sound great but the Scumback comes out on top for me.

• another clip in the wall ;)

profile : Friedman DS H08M with lots of edits

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi @timowens!
    Thank you very much for sharing all those profiles. I'm extremely grateful to you.
    I was looking for good sounding profiles for playing classic rock and found your profiles of DS, BE and HBE at RM. They are absolutely fantastic!!! Really impressive!!!
    They become my main presets for LP and Classic Rock.

As you mention, the profiles you upload at RM are based on session #53 and are merged profiles.

Question: Is there any chance you could share the STUDIO profiles for DS, BE and HBE of that session? Just in case you still have them before doing the merging process.

Thanks in advance!

all the best,
    George

• Hi George,

I think there may be some confusion in this matter.

Merged profile = (Studio Profile + Direct Amp Profile).

In other words, the Merged profile contains the "Studio" profile. The only difference, is that with a Merged profile, one is able to accurately subtract and separate the "Direct Amp" profile (which does not contain the mic'd cabinet), from the the full "Studio" profile, which is a combination of both.

Prior to the development and release of the "Merged" Profile format, the Kemper relied on an intelligent algorithm known as "Cab Driver", which calculates the portion of the normal (Studio) profile which represents the contribution of the reference cabinet. When you disable the Cabinet module, the Cab Driver algorithm is implemented, and it automatically subtracts the cabinet from the direct amp. While the Cab Driver algorithm works amazingly well...it is still a bit of a compromise in terms of absolute authenticity. With the introduction of the 3.X firmware, the Merged Profile format provides the KPA with the ability distinguish and separate the "Amp" from the "Cabinet and Microphone" portions of the audio signal with 100% accuracy, and with no compromise.

As an example, if you are playing a Merged profile, then you are getting the full and complete presentation of the "Studio" profile, which includes the reference cabinet and microphone. However, if you physically disable the "Cabinet" module...then you simply get the "Direct Amp" (no cabinet, no microphone) profile.

Cheers,
    John

Edited 4 times, last by Tritium ().

• Hi timowens! Thank you very much for sharing all those profiles. I'm extremely grateful to you.I was looking for good sounding profiles for playing classic rock and found your profiles of DS, BE and HBE at RM. They are absolutely fantastic!!! Really impressive!!!They become my main presets for LP and Classic Rock. As you mention, the profiles you upload at RM are based on session #53 and are merged profiles.Question: Is there any chance you could share the STUDIO profiles for DS, BE and HBE of that session? Just in case you still have them before doing the merging process.Thanks in advance!all the best,George

Hey George,

Tritium (John) is correct that the Merged profiles should sound exactly like the Studio profiles. But, in case I made a mistake while making one or two of the Merged profiles (which has happened before) or if you wanted to make your own merged profiles here is a link to all of the files from this session including a speaker IR in WAV format that will work with other devices: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fj1…JeWAvfWdCVwziRfT6dYa?dl=0

Here is what the file names mean:
    H53 DS H01D (Means Direct Amp Profile)
    H53 DS H01S (Means Studio Profile)
    H53 DS H01M (Means Merged Profile)

Hope that helps...

• Hi John (Tritium),

Thank you for your time.

I was already considering all you've written, but recently, I've been using more Studio Profiles instead of Direct ou Merged even with a guitar cabinet (Kemper with CAB off). Although, they don't sound accurate, I think they tend to be more consistent (EQ) with the sound I hear on Main Outs (with CAB on).

Let me try to explain my theory:

We all know the guitar amp sound captured is so much affected by microphones types and position. So, the sound you capture through microphones is not necessary the same you perceive when listening "the amp in the room". Sometimes your amp is sounding great "in the room" and bad on the "tape" and vice-versa. Capturing a guitar amp that sounds good is an art for itself.

When we use a Direct or Merged profile with CAB off on Kemper, we are supposed to get the real sounding coming thought the speakers. My theory is that sometimes you don't want that real sound, but some of the coloration you got when mic'ed.

When we use a Studio Profile with CAB off, we get an approximation of what is the amp part. As Kemper is not able to know exactly which part is speakers + mic, some of the coloration is maintained "as amp tone" and goes to your guitar cabinet. If you try any profiles pack that supply Studio and Direct profiles and compare them in a guitar cabinet you will understand what I mean.

Actually, the reason I've asked by the Studio version was that I found those #53 profiles sounded perfect through my studio monitors, but when I used in my guitar cabinet (with CAB off) they sounded different than I expected.

But, of course, Tim was already so gentle to share all those profiles with us, so I don't want to ask too much... :rolleyes: , but if possible :D , I would like to try the Studio profiles and cab off (cab driver making the extraction) and see what happens. ;)

• Thank you so much, Tim!!!!!!

I'll try that and let you all know If I'm just crazy or got better results.

• But, of course, Tim was already so gentle to share all those profiles with us, so I don't want to ask too much... :rolleyes: , but if possible :D , I would like to try the Studio profiles and cab off (cab driver making the extraction) and see what happens. ;)

Hi George,

Ah, now I understand. In your case, I now see what you are saying...that is to say, you may actually prefer the subtle but unique tone that results when the KPA implements the Cab Driver algorithm to separate (remove) the cabinet + microphone from the Studio profile. And that makes perfect sense. After all, if it sounds good to you, then it is good.

When I read your initial post, I wasn't certain of your current level of experience with the KPA. I also noticed you were a new forum member...so I may have inadvertently assumed you might have had a bit of misunderstanding on the Merged format. Now I understand what you are going for. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

And I agree, @timowens is the best. He even foresaw the possibility that some folks might want the individual Studio and Direct Amp profiles, and included them in that particular Session download file. :thumbup:

Cheers,
    John

• Just so you're aware, turning the Cab off in the Stack section will engage Cab Driver in Merged profiles too (as opposed to checking Cab off on Monitor Out in the Output section).

• Just so you're aware, turning the Cab off in the Stack section will engage Cab Driver in Merged profiles too (as opposed to checking Cab off on Monitor Out in the Output section).

Are you sure about that, Sam? My understanding is that the KPA recognizes whenever it is a Merged file format, and as such, will not need to implement the Cab Driver algorithm in either of your aforementioned scenarios.

Cheers,
    John