Expression Pedal Review Thread - please post your reviews here :)

• Roland EV-5

Hard plastic construction, adjustable tension, adjustable minimum value.

It functions fine, but does not have a conventional "guitar pedal/wah" feel to it, if that matters.

The cable is connected, not separate. That means you will have to wrap it if you put it in a pedalboard.
    Or, if you don't use it in a pedalboard: if it is too short to get to your Kemper, you would need a TRS extension cable.

• Dunlop DVP-3:
    Got two of them to pair with the Kemper Remote:
    Way smaller footprint than the Boss FV500's, but at the same time very sturdy and rugged.
    Pedal range and response/tension are both adjustable and excellent feel- wise. The taper is very smooth.
    To me the perfect pair to the Kemper Remote and I predict these to be a de- facto- standard for many Kemper users.

• Great idea.

Maybe put some important things to include in the first post - such as the ones you touch on in your review?

Construction
    Adjustable tension, yes/no?
    Adjustable min and/or max values
    Feel
    Range
    "taper" - i.e. is it smooth, or does everything happen in the last 10% of the travel?
    Can it be used as a volume pedal with a "regular" rig - i.e. guitar -> pedal -> "real" amp? - hereunder: low or high impedance, if info is available? Or just: marketed as a guitar pedal or a keyboard pedal?
    Cable connected or not?
    Kill switch at the end of the pedal travel or not?
    etc...

• Zappledan had a great idea - expression pedal reviews are needed because of the upcoming Kemper Remote.

You're giving me too much credit. The separate thread was your idea - I'm just a dummy who was looking for reviews! ;)

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Contrary to what I wrote in the other thread, the expression pedal I used was actually a Yamaha
    Flimsy construction, hard-wired cable, VERY long throw. No adjustability as far as I could tell, however, the travel was very smooth. Feel-wise a horror.

Cheers,
    Sam

• Great idea paults!

Dunlop DVP-3:
    Got two of them to pair with the Kemper Remote:
    Way smaller footprint than the Boss FV500's, but at the same time very sturdy and rugged.
    Pedal range and response/tension are both adjustable and excellent feel- wise. The taper is very smooth.
    To me the perfect pair to the Kemper Remote and I predict these to be a de- facto- standard for many Kemper users.

Ingolf - how is the sweep on the DVP-3? (not sure "sweep" is the right term here, but I'm thinking the distance it takes to get from heel to toe). I LOVE my Ernie Ball Volume pedal because of the huge sweep. Recently bought the Mission Kemper pedal and, while fine for wah, I really dislike using it for volume because the sweep is so short. I'm hoping the DVP-3 is better here.

ps. I've heard other threads saying that trying to use a Y patch cable on my ernie ball for use w/ Kemper won't give good results (i think it's 250ohm, which might not work anyway). Am I right in that assumption?

• Didn't see this thread, until now, so here is what I posted in response to someone thinking the Moog EP3 looked cheap.
    Actually, the Moog pedal feels very solid under the foot, and has a nice long throw. My old Zoom and Line 6 pedals never felt as solid, and eventually became garbage. I don't like the Roland because of the attached cable. I can have 3 Moog's for the price of 1 Dunlop, or Mission. Time will tell about its durability, but 2 months in, it is still very good, and I give it a strong workout everyday.

• i use Rocktron Hex Pedals. Here: http://www.rocktron.com/hex-expressionvolume-pedal.html

identical size and look as a dunlop crybaby.

adjustable tension
    cable inserted on a side for expression use
    no on/off switch
    no adjustable range
    very sturdy alluminum material
    crybaby foot feel
    very affordable
    have been used two for kemper purpose: one for the wah and the second for pitch purposes
    so far three years of use and no problem whatsoever

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• 250 ohm or kOhm?

my rocktron expression pedals have 250 kOhm and working flawlessly in every aspect

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• Moog EP-3.

It is Moog, it is cheap, it is rock solid and works flawlessly.

Sound Engineer, Musician, Animal Rights Activist.

Fender '89 Clapton Strat, EMG DG20, KPA, Martin, SSL, Neve, Manley, Tube-Tech, Millennia, API, Lynx, RME, Avid, Apple, Adam...

• Ingolf - how is the sweep on the DVP-3? (not sure "sweep" is the right term here, but I'm thinking the distance it takes to get from heel to toe). I LOVE my Ernie Ball Volume pedal because of the huge sweep. Recently bought the Mission Kemper pedal and, while fine for wah, I really dislike using it for volume because the sweep is so short. I'm hoping the DVP-3 is better here.
    ps. I've heard other threads saying that trying to use a Y patch cable on my ernie ball for use w/ Kemper won't give good results (i think it's 250ohm, which might not work anyway). Am I right in that assumption?

Sweep is perfectly fine, shorter than the FV-500 I used before but definitely not too short. Wah as well as volume control feels just right.
    And certainly no adapter needed.

• These actually look great. Cheaper than Mission (although without the switch of the dedicated KP version) and can be used as a regular analogue volume pedal, if the situation arises. Neat!

Cheers,
    Sam

• Hmmm, might investigate the Moog for volume purposes (where a longer throw is more relevant), but for wah/whammy I'll be looking for a Crybaby form factor, which means Mission, Dunlop or Rocktron (nice tip @michaelmellner !)

Cheers,
    Sam

happy I could be of help!
    besides, since I needed to have them firm when playing live I found a sort of rubber housing, called pedal boots. they do this thing for standard sizes pedal like the vox wah. and since the vox wah is identical to the crybaby thus the rocktron, I could buy and use them without any problem. http://www.pedalboots.com/baby-cry/

• Yamaha FC7: Big footprint, heavy, covered/coated with some kind of rugged rubber, feels bulletproof, hardwired TRS cable, HUGE throw that I like for finer control but that some may find uncomfortable, especially if you tend to stand right on top of it.

Another review of the Yamaha FC-7. Contrary to sambrox's experience, I found the pedal quite solid in terms of construction. As mentioned by burningyen, due to the *huge* throw of the pedal, you might find it difficult to use in standing position UNLESS you switch the pedal angle, in which case it becomes far more usable. The pedal has a range of 0 at toe position to 30 degrees at heel, very useful for fine control of your expression pedals.

Also has a "fortissimo" function, with a spring at the bottom that allows you to set the range of 0-10 degrees. What this does is return your pedal by the desired amount when playing, sort of like depress past a certain point and it will return to whatever degree the spring is set to.

It is a bit big in my hands, but a perfect match for my feet and I, for one, find the large throw to be excellent for the kind of whammy or pitch effect work I do. It is also cheap, which is a big plus in my book and just to drive it home, the construction is solid and it won't die on you. I used to be a bit peeved with the hard wired cable, which makes it difficult to set up far away from my Kemper without an additional female TRS cable, but with the Remote having inputs for expression pedals, this is likely to be a problem.

You can also hook up multiple FC7s together using the mechanism on the base plate. Not to be underrated.

Love mine, it's great and reliable.